Agnostic.com

20 4

What is your response when someone says “god bless you” after you sneeze?

I usually say “not necessary, thanks” or “no need”. People will say it’s polite to say GBY but I will challenge if given the time and appropriate setting. It’s not the worst thing in the world, but it’s pretty dumb.

Cakes 4 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was raised in the south and this was something instilled in me at a young age.when others sneeze I tend to say "mercy"or just "bless you". I think believers are untitled to there feelings and expressions. And I never know for sure what they might really mean, lots of people I know use these but are only trying to be pilite.for this reason I always simply reply thank you when I sneeze.

I do have a hope society will move away from religion, or at least question the idea that God is a given. I'm not an asshole, but that is a perfect time to let it be known that not everyone is down with this God concept. Your responses sound good to me. It's not an act of kindness to say "God bless you" to an atheist. Why do we have to pretend it is?

I say "I doubt it."

Lol. I'm using that one

I often say "far to late for that" or "Too late, I am already in" with maniacal grin.
Yeah, I get odd looks.

I ignore the statement

I might be able to answer this if I knew what blessing actually IS.

A free gift that feels like a transfer of something but costs the giver nothing is my only guess

I find being blessed for a sneeze extremely amusing and If someone sneezes near me I like to say. "I bless you, for you have sneezed." If I sneeze near someone I like to cut them off before they can bless me and say "Bless me! For I have sneezed!" Gets rid of the God involved. Or saying very solemnly. "Bless me, father, for I have sneezed." Using the same tone of voice people use when they say they have sinned.

Make their head explode. Ask "Which one?"

Nice

Copied from an earlier post:

A few years back I took a summer class and, thanks to allergies to weeds, I tended to sneeze a few times every day which was always followed by a small group chanting: "God bless you." My response was always along the lines of "No thanks. I'm not superstitious and I am not worried about the devil sucking my soul and leaving my body to suddenly die and rot from the plague like the good old days of Pope Gregory I.

And yes, I did often, not always, clearly respond with that response.

I explain to them that this custom was started by people who thought that when you sneeze your guard is down so the devil can take over your soul.

So do you know why people were taught to say that? Because "A sneeze allowed the opportunity for a demon to move in". So you immediately bless them.

Of course this is reflex in polite society - but the origin is more near the Salem Witch Trials.
Gees Growing up in Massachusetts sure was Educational!

Very Polite I say Thank You.

i say thanks. it is just kind of a reflex remark

I say gesundheit, just means 'health' as in good health in German.

Thanks! I was just about to burst into flames.

Sacha Level 7 Feb 21, 2018

Ok, That's really funny.

I may have to try that as my response lately (I've shortened an early response down a bit) has been, "Not thank's I not superstitious."

I'll take the well wishes and say thanks. It's not that they are preaching at me, or anything like that. Usually they are just making what they consider to be, a polite noise.

All one really needs to say is thank you!
It doesn't require an explanation or response back!

While a response isn’t required, even thank you, I see it somewhat like having the words “in God We Trust” on currency. God and religion are woven into language in this country and no one questions it. When appropriate, I think it’s a good thing to have people think about what they’re saying and question it, even if they don’t change their minds or habits.

And yes, I understand that “In God We Trust” is on national currency and the argument is separation of Church & State... even though I’m not sure the Mint or the Fed Bank are even federal agencies, etc.

I just say thank you. It's just etiquette. They aren't trying to push God on me and I prefer not to explain atheism to someone who isn't interested unless they are being offensive

People do dumb things with the best intentions. I say thank you very much and think no more of it. It made them feel good doing it. I won't deprive them of that.

SamL Level 7 Feb 21, 2018

We're a gesundheit household.

... or just say "SALUD!" It's just a wish of good health!

In the USA, someone always seems to respond to a sneeze. I even had someone yell "Bless you" across the street at me in Chicago. This was rarely the case in Australia.
With so many around me saying it, I find that I will unthinkingly use it myself. But if I catch myself, I'll say gesundheit instead. It makes much more sense.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27237
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.