Agnostic.com

25 3

Did god play a big role in your life growing up?

Growing up my family said we are Xians. God wasn't too big in my life. I didn't pray much or go to church much. We did pray for our meals at night, but I would space out and daydream. We never got our bibles out, or talked much about god. I tried the Youth Group out, but I was a loner and an outcast there. (I always am wherever I go) They seemed to have there own small coteries that never included me. When my mom died in 2006, my aunt became a big part of my life, she kept making me go to her church. Most of the time I said No. Sometimes she wanted me to volunteer there. Now that I came out as an atheist, she never asks me anymore to go to church with her. I did sleep most of the time in the sermons. I blamed it on my medication, but the real reason was it was so boring that it put me to sleep. Lol. I won't go to another church ever again. Unless it's a wedding or a funeral. My friend from a year ago, when we parted, messaged me today. He wanted to apologize about our issue we had. His mom had cancer and died last night. I hope to go to the funeral. They are religious. So probably it will be in a church.

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wasn't required to go to church until I was around six or seven. Then god seemed to be charge, so I figured if I went into the ministry it was the best way to avoid Hell. It didn't take long to realize it wouldn't work because I'd just be faking it. By the time I got through high-school, god was just another fairytale. The hardest part was telling my mother that I just couldn't believe in god.

It is hard to tell them.

My parents pretended they were Christian by telling me little tidbits of the bible. We never went to church as a family, it is was always VBS for me. I never knew crap about the bible until I actually read that hunk of tree. Now my mom disregards the fact that I do not believe in fairy tales and acts as though she raised me to be a follower of he that does not exist. It is just ridiculous .

Madi Level 3 Feb 22, 2018

God played about as much of a role for me growing up as that of the boogeyman. Just this entity that would be mentioned from time to time, and its powers and motives to ultimately keep us kids in line. Of course I grew up with the cool and hip new testament God that was a super duper nice dude that loves you...that...that old testament stuff....j-just ignore that #metaphores!!!

God was about as real to me as that of the greek gods we'd learn about in like the 3rd or 4th grade.

Okay, cool.

hey for someone who is omnipresent he couldn't even find me when playing hide and seek.

Lol.

I was extremely lucky in that regard. My parents were of mixed faiths so it simply didn't come up in our house. The compromise is best symbolized by the placement of a star of David atop our secular Christmas tree.

MarqG Level 5 Feb 21, 2018

Hmmm... That is cool.

Religion more than “god”. More about the tradition. That’s pretty typical for American Jewish families other than orthodox.

Oh, I don't know much about the Jewish traditions.

@Sarahroo29 Some of the attitudes might make you laugh a little. Remember, we created the biblical "god" in our own image....complete with some very Jewish psychopathology. Somehow, I think the need to be praised is part of it. As a Xtian, I suppose you could tell that Jesus was Jewish since he went into his dad's carpentry business (for a while), he thought his mother was a virgin and she thought he was god.

@Neurodoc18 Lol.

@Sarahroo29 I wish I didnt my son in laws parents go on and on and on ad infinitum about what they do at shabbat and I seriously couldn't care less.

@jacpod Haven't you ever been in a relationship? If you have, didn't you ever discover the "ignore" switch? You have one....makes the shabbat stories more tolerable.

For most of my young adult life, I gave God the starring role. But he turned into a diva, and started demanding more lines, wanted to override the writers, and wouldn't listen to direction. So I had to recast.

Okay.

I got dragged to church, forced into doing the convocation thing, and all of the other trappings of Methodism. It was garbage, then, and it's garbage, now. I never bought into any of it.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Thanks! I've survived nicely🙂 @Sarahroo29

No I left god alone and god left me alone, so we both got a good deal - My parents were too old and weighed down by the 2nd ww to be very bothered with me so I was pretty much alone and it suited me fine.

Good.

Forced to attend church every Sunday and every Sunday I wondered what the hell was going on? It was not a good influence for me at all, I resented the insults to my intellengence on a daily basis. (Dad was a big fan of Billy Graham, and was a pathological liar, belittled anyone and everything around him, I'm still amazed that my stepmother put up him for so many years.)

Oh, okay.

God didn't really have much impact. I guess the first time I wore a tie was during confirmation. It was a clip-on so that seems appropriate. There was a good deal of family bonding after church at the Dairy Queen or McDonald's. But we really just coasted through, going through the motions.

Yummy. DQ ice-cream.

While according to the Christian bible God knows how our life will be. They say it in God will for thing to happen in our lives rather it's good or bad.

Okay.

The church, religious people, god fearing people all played a big role in my life growing up. God, not so much. I think I figured out God was a myth at a very young age. I just couldn't understand why everybody believed but me, which made me think something was wrong with me. Sounds crazy but it took a few years to get over the guilt of not believing.

Yeah, my family's friends were religious.

Nope. But he did sure waste of family time around me, while I watched on indifferently, like the fool on the hill.

Awe.

Not from my immediate family. The community at large tended to get pushy though.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Did god play a big role? No.

Did religion play a big role? My mother was/is also a xtian and when I was young, church was mandatory. I was not allowed to sleep (would be poked in the side) while sitting in the pew of stench, primarily of old women and their body, deodorants/hygiene products, and a plethora of of other offensive effluvia. I remember looking out over the sea of grey and blue hair of the majority congregation. When I was in 3rd or 4th grade I figured out the entire church thing was just a mind game old people played on children to scare them into doing what the old people wanted us to do. It wasn't until years later I realized many children never grew up and still believe in religion as an adult (very scary). I thought my mother's mandatory prayer's before eating were just a game to make me believe nonsense) I did enjoy Church Conformation Class as our instructor would give us bible verse assignments to research for the next week's class. Not sure how I did it but every class I had found several contradictory versus in the bible that always left his lesson unsettled without any consistent answer. My favourite day (last day) of that class the instructor told us about "The Holy Trinity" My immediate response was "Well thtat's just stupid." His response was, "Yea, I know but that's what they want us to teach you."

Oh. Cool.

Good.

My parents required us to be at church every time the doors opened, and they open a LOT in a Southern Baptist church! As a teen it was:

1. Sunday School then Sunday morning worship, then Sunday evening groups and another worship service
  2. Monday evening is for visitation. That means gathering at the church, then going out to knock on the doors of either people who've visited the church but not joined, or random people who happen to live in a neighborhood they chose by some arcane rite.
  3. Tuesday night was Bible study.
  4. Wednesday night was dinner at the church, then mission groups, then choir practice.
  5. Thursday night was something - youth group events, maybe? It was a long time ago.
  6. There were often events on Friday, too. That was the most popular night for youth group "lock-ins" (spending the night in the church, staying up most of the night for extra Bible study, prayer, and "fun" ).
  7. Saturday morning was for getting together in small-group Bible study or practicing special musical arrangments for Sunday if you were a soloist (I was).

Good Baptists only die of exhaustion.

Religion played a big role and it was not good with arguments about meat on Friday ,lent, going to church and it was my father and I that had to do these things while mother demanded these things she herself did not comply with any of this. Catholic school was another pain as I questioned what was being taught and was punished when I did not conform.

Awe.

No. He's been conspicuously missing for eons!

Lol.

My literal imaginary freind when I was a child was God. In my mind, I would take his turn in a game and spin on board games, so he could play. Yes, he did play a big role in my life. Yes, I was raised Catholic and Luthern, and I was into it. I still do not "get" the Holy Ghost. I was only exposed to the kind and caring part of the religion. I read bible stories for kids out big books. I went to Catholic School, worship was before school. My parents went to church, but I don't think they got anything out of it. I prayed regulary. I was surprised when I went to a new public school in thrid grade and a girl said to me, "My mom says not to play with you, because you belive in purgatory." I actally did not know what purgatory was. I will attend funerals, and weddings at church. My daughter in turn was teased in early elementary because she did not have a relgion.

I was never forced to Curch except for a relatives Christmas. On a deep irrational level, I was imagining lightning hitting me when I tried to enter.

Oh wow. Thank you for sharing.

No, God didn't do anything my whole life. Totally not around, even when we invited him for the holidays.

No role at all .

Lucky.

Good.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27293
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.