Agnostic.com

249 21

What is the non-theist replacement for "I'll pray for you?"

So many times a person is looking for comfort and Christians say "I'll pray for you." I've said "I hope it works out," or "I wish you the best..." but I don't see a non-religious equivalent.

Once, I was in my office, when a co-worker walked in and shut the door. He told me that his 1 1/2 year old grandson was diagnosed with leukemia.

Nearly in tears, he talked about the struggles the parents had. That he didn't know if the child would live. How the child was suffering and in pain-- and only a baby. I couldn't pretend to know what he was going through, though I felt truly sad hearing his story.

No words really seemed to fit. I did tell him that I had a cousin diagnosed with it as a child-- who survived, is an adult, and is doing well.

He stared at me-- waiting for the "I'll pray for you." I know, because he eventually said "Thanks for listening. I know you'll pray for me."

It wasn't the time to make a retort on that front, so I just nodded and let him go.

But, I've always wondered what is a good replacement phrase for the non-theist?

I'm so not good with that mushy stuff.

silvereyes 8 Nov 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

249 comments (226 - 249)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"You're in my thoughts." or "I'll be thinking of you" usually works for me.

Good luck!

I am sending you positive energy

If someone uses it as a goodbye I think I will start responding with

Live long and prosper. 🙂

be positive as if your mind gives up you can give up.

"I'll think for you"

"I've talked to him already"

I'll pray for you is not just a religious statement. Prayer or meditation, as I call it, is simply keeping someone in your thoughts and hoping for the best for them. It does nothing but if it comforts them, there is nothing wrong with saying it.

I say, "I'm here for you" and I mean it. If you can think of a way to help out (bring food, watch their kids,etc, offer that) People need support and comfort. They need someone to listen, to be a compassionate witness to their suffering. You don't need to know any "right words", there really are none. Open your heart to others and you will know how to be there for them. "That mushy stuff" is what life is all about. Don't be afraid of it.

"How can I help?" or offer direct assistance. It depends on the relationship you have with the person.

dokala Level 7 July 20, 2018

I just say, "Ill be thinking of you."

Good luck.

You've nailed down all I've ever really felt comfortable saying. My hopes and wishes, are all I have to honestly give.

My thoughts are with you.

Good Luck!

I don't have many people close to my heart, but was faced with something somewhat similar. I told him I loved him and is my brother, then hugged him.

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry to hear you are having to deal with this. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. And come back any time if you want a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on. I so hope everything turns out ok.
Not sure what else you can say.

I would say "thinking of you"

That is my choice as well...

I really don't know. If someones tell me that, I answer "there is no need thank you. I don't believe in god".
Maybe I say: Stay positive. ..

Interesting history behind these superstitions. It was once believed that a woman's hair attracts demons. So to this day, women are forced to wear some sort of hair covering. Doesn't have to be a hat or cap, a handkerchief will do, just as long as the hair is covered and we don't have to worry about those nasty demons.

Here's another beauty: When somebody sneezes it creates a hole or opening in the body. Demons could rush in there and possess the individual. So it's customary to say, "God bless you" to scare off the opportunistic invaders.

all of my true friends and family know I'm agnostic I'm the only one in the family that feels this way and they good close friends I have are very very religious and just like good friends should be they do not judge me for it or hold it against me...

Sending positive vibes your way.

I will pray for you. Thanks.

I usually say: I am not a praying man, but I will pray for you. Preying is actually an intense meditation, does not have to have a religious connotation

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2746
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.