Agnostic.com

3 2

Why do posts seem to appear in batches?

For the past few days, the site seems to be static for hours and hours, then all of a sudden, there appear a whole bunch of posts and comments all in one go. Then its static for hours and hours again. It only appears live for a minute or two, twice a day, quite frustrating. 😟
Or is it just me?

GothRik 7 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My level is not moving and I think it should be going up. I have not received notifications of replies recently, but there just may not have been any.

Are your points going up normally? At level 7, takes longer to get to the next 0.1.

I think could be due to periodic site updates. Also, persons below level 5, have to have their posts read and approved before they are posted onto the site. I think tht poolicy definitely brings up the quality of what is posted over all.

We read all posts before they make it to the main page list (and only about a 1/3 make it there). However, Level 5+ get their comments and replies to go live instantly.

It's not just you. It's us. We manually curate posts before they go live so that the front page has more interesting posts.. Comments/replies go live instantly for Level 5+. How about we make posts go live instantly on profile pages for level 2+ and then we review them later? We're also thinking of having these main page "admin promoted" posts throttled to go out one at a time instead of all at once when we curate them. Just ideas. Today we're working on post tagging.

Admin Level 8 Nov 3, 2017

Ah, I see. It just looked like it was dead, I appreciate it must take up man hours to curate posts and more so as more members come on board. I would be happy for level 2+ post to be reviewed retrospectively if it doesn't cause too much trouble. It's not my intention to be critical, I am just letting you know how it looks at my end. The site is coming along nicely, thank you (and your friends) for all your efforts. The futures bright 🙂

I might suggest having the "go live immediately" threshold be 3+, rather than 2+. As I recall, I hit Level 2 (50 points) extremely quickly while Level 3 (200 points) took just enough longer to have been a deterrent if I weren't serious about the site. If the purpose of this review is to maintain quality of posts, I would say that aspiring trolls and goblins could wait til Level 2 but would be unlikely to wait for Level 3 before walking away from their malicious intent out of impatience.

I'm also Level 5 and hadn't noticed a lag for myself until yesterday when there was a notification that I had one post pending. I considered that odd since I am Level 5 and not supposed to have any lag. Otherwise, though, mine have gone live promptly since I got here.

as vertrauen says I think level 3+ would be about the right balance.
@vertrauen only comments and replies go live instantly at level 5+, posts go live after they have been curated.

Ok, just made it so if you are level 3 or higher, you can view posts on people's PROFILE page instantly. Yes, this doesn't yet make the site feel more alive as you have to know to go to their page to see the content. As far as the main page, I haven't found a good way yet to let things go live before we have a chance to curate them (many level 5+ people post things which are less interesting to make it to the main page). Only about 1/3 of posts make it there right now and I sometimes edit the title/etc to make them more readable. Let me think about making a secret "raw" main page option so you can see our incoming queue earlier.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2762
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.