Agnostic.com

7 3

LINK 1986: Coverage of the Challenger explosion

A year ago yesterday, The space shuttle Challenger exploded. I didn't read anyone post anything about it, myself included.

I was eight years-old, sitting in my third grade class waiting to watch the take-off on television.

The teachers were especially excited, as one of their own was representing all teachers across the country.

After about one minute after The Challenger Shuttle exploded, my third grade teacher turned off the television.

Even as young children, we knew something bad had happened as we saw my teacher's confused facial expression and sudden body trembling. The entire school fell upon a silent spell.

The school principal came on the intercom a short while later to say a prayer for the shuttle crew and their families. Christa McAuliffe was a BIG DEAL around the school community. The teachers cried and huddled together. Every teacher wept.

The entire day went on, but we were forbidden from speculation about the shuttle, even though we knew.

Where were you when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded? How did you react? Did you get the feeling something bad had happened before it was confirmed?

#RIPSkyWarriors #ForeverInOurHearts #Challenger

SleeplessInTexas 8 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was on guard duty, at a NATO ammo dump in Germany. Grave yard shift. At shift change over, we were seeing the replay of the film and yeah, we knew it was bad. 😟

I was in a speech class my sophomore year in college. Someone came in and told us what happened. We left class and watched the news coverage on TV in the student center. I remember folks being shocked and saddened (myself included). I also remember talking with others about there possibley being an escape system from the shuttle. It quickly became clear that didn't happen.

i was first year teaching. Some of the students at the school cheered. Sad way to start a new career. That was a public school. Did a brief stay at a catholic school - it had its moments, i had a great soccer team. Then i spent 14 years in a progressive private school and then for a while college before going into counseling.

We had a TV at work, we watched all the launches, we knew no one would make it.
Discovery was worse for the people, they could watch the craft disintegrate. IMO either case it was a sad day for the United States and their families.?

I was sitting on my couch, watching the 'Today Show' coverage. A thought flashed through my mind. 'Watch it blow up!'. Then, for a brief second, I 'saw' it blow up. It was a very visual image, like i was watching it on TV. Only it was still on the launch pad. Then, it was launched; and a few moments later, it blew up in flight. Then, I could remember feeling guilty about the whole thing. But what could I have done? Anyone else ever have a pre-cognitive experience? I have had a few. Some of which saved my life.

I can still see it plain as day in my memory. I was in the gym at my high school walking north (i know -weird detail) towards a set of three (3) double doors. We were walking laps for gym class. I don;t remember much more about that day, but I can vividly recall that instant.

On the way home from school, my bus driver confirmed to us what happened. "It doesn't look good. They're not coming home."

After getting off the school bus, I went straight to my room, got on my knees to pray for the nice people on the space shuttle.

I prayed asking "god" if "he" at least spared the crew from pain.

Please forgive me, but it's my memory of events.

@Gooniesnvrdie Yes. Why is that a shocker? I wasn't a nonbeliever then.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:276473
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.