Agnostic.com

10 1

Can someone clear this up for me.

What is the difference between faith & belief?

CoryRiv21 5 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

when you believe something, it might be based on facts (i believe my guy washed the dishes because 1. he said he did and 2. the dishes that were dirty are now clean and the cats haven't got opposable thumbs) or it might be based on faith (1. i believe the mets will win the series, for no particular reason, but i have observed that they're capable of doing it, 2. i believe there is a tooth fairy because my mom told me there was one). faith is when you trust, with or without cause. in religion, it is without cause. in relationships, it might be with cause. i have faith my guy isn't going to kill me in my sleep. that's reasonable. if my guy was a serial killer i could be dead wrong, or just dead, about that, but i have reason to believe i'm right. that's a kind of faith. faith in something with NO justification is... well, religion is a good example of that.

g

A great deal of BS

Faith is believing something without evidence.
Belief can be based on evidence, or not.

Orbit Level 7 Jan 29, 2019

Belief is the acceptance of something without supporting evidence. We all have certain beliefs that we use to help us navigate through life without suffering cognitive overload. Those beliefs are transient. That is, they are easily changed or dropped evidence to the contrary arrives. For instance, I believe my car will start in the morning. When I turn the key in the ignition and nothing happens, that belief is not longer valid and I begin working on the solution to the problem. Faith can be applied here because faith indicates a confidence in something or someone.

However, the instant a belief becomes the operating idea in one's life, the thing that controls thinking and decision making and is held to in spite of evidence to the contrary, one has crossed the threshold into irrational thought. This is the realm of religion and superstition. In this case, faith and belief are essentially synonymous. The odd thing here is that one may remain socially functional and employ rational thought in many areas. There are some who can operate productively in society even after considerable education and being quite intelligent. The belief/faith is stronger than the evidence.

It is amazing to me how easily people can fall into this second area of belief. I call these people Bob. Don't be like Bob.

@maturin1919 -- Try these on for size:

faith
Dictionary result for faith
/fāTH/
noun
noun: faith

1. complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
    "this restores one's faith in politicians"

synonyms: trust, belief, confidence, conviction, credence, reliance, dependence; optimism, hopefulness, hope, expectation

"he completely justified his boss's faith in him"

1. strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

synonyms: religion, church, sect, denomination, persuasion, religious persuasion, religious belief, belief, code of belief, ideology, creed, teaching, dogma, doctrine

"she gave her life for her faith"

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

be·lief
Dictionary result for belief
/bəˈlēf/

noun: belief; plural noun: beliefs

1. an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.

"his belief in the value of hard work"

something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion or conviction.

"we're prepared to fight for our beliefs"

synonyms: opinion, view, viewpoint, point of view, attitude, stance, stand, standpoint, position, perspective, contention, conviction, judgment, thinking, way of thinking, thought, idea, theory, hypothesis, thesis, interpretation, assumption, presumption, supposition, surmise, postulation, conclusion, deduction, inference, notion, impression, sense, feeling, fancy, hunch

"she clung to the belief that Diane was innocent"

a religious conviction.

"Christian beliefs"

synonyms: ideology, principle, ideal, ethic, conviction, doctrine, teaching, dogma, tenet, canon, article of faith, credence, creed, credo, code of belief

"he opposed traditional religious beliefs"

1. trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.

"a belief in democratic politics"

synonyms: faith, trust, reliance, confidence, credence, freedom from doubt; optimism, hopefulness, hope

"I have no real belief in the power of reason"

Try this, a belief is something you " think" is right, or wrong, "faith" is what is required if you continue to think that, without any rational basis.

First of all you have to be certain if you are being faced with "faith" or "Faith"
To be clear Faith is a theological concept and is a proper noun, faith is an abstract concept and is a noun.
Godbotherers love to equivocate and confuse the two to the point that many dictionaries actually list them as the same word, even though they have different etymological root faith from fides Latin for trust and Faith from the Indo-European bheidh meaning belief.
Theological Faith is the acceptance as true of proposed statements of fact with no evidential proof or support other than the admonition that they are true.
Belief is the acceptance of facts based a posteriori knowledge, that is knowledge gathered from experience rather than experimentation of hard evidence.
"The sun with come up in the morning" is a belief based on experience, even though it is not factually true. The sun does not raise in the sky it stays stationary but appears to rise owing to the rotation of the earth, but people believe it does and that belief serves for day to day reliability and the expectation that the incident will recur at given intervals of time.

So in short
Belief is an acceptance of a proposed fact based on experience and likelihood perhaps backed up by a posteriori knowledge.
Faith is knowledge based on no evidence, experience or proof, but accepted as knowledge simply because it is declared to be so, sometimes under threat of consequence if it is not.

Thanks guys...????

I think to have faith is to still have questions and doubts, but to believe is to have no doubts... even if the evidence is lacking.

I am beign very generous in my definition of faith, as for many there is no difference between faith and belief.

Faith is belief with no evidence. Belief is subjective. i.e. I believe this because of faith or of evidence or as idiots I have known said, "I feel ......" so that is what I believe. As if ":feelings" make it so.

Faith is trust. Belief is perception?

I like this statement. Both words have varying meanings and do overlap.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:276567
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.