Agnostic.com

9 3

What do you think of the term "Born Again Skeptic"? My friend coined it and I think he was also trying to get a jab toward the far righteous born again christians.

Specman 6 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am skeptical about it.

Born again is a dumb phrase, especially in an atheist context. The last thing that happens to us is being born again!

"Born again" is a phrase created by evangelical Christians to denote a spiritual rebirth. As I do not believe that I have a spirit, I reject the phrase in any context.

Pardon me sir, but to say that your friend coined "Born Again Skeptic" is kinda doubtful to me. My apologies.

Both you and daddy4pugs say it's a jab toward the "born again" Christians, wherever they may stand in their religious fence. I would like to say that it's more of a solid punch . . . if not a knockout punch.

And if those guys won't budge and keep ignoring the fact that are spin-offs and deviants within their midst, and would still fanatically and blindly cling to their beliefs, they may not get to their rebirth and awakening that they're trudging down the wrong path . . .

But would they care enough about those silly things if they're doing good business? "Let them eat cake!"

It tickles me no end, the fundamentalist love that "born again" metaphor. I have often used the word "devout" to go with atheist or agnostic.

I don't know with you guys. I thought you always avoid using terms religious.

It works as a jab to the religionists. We are all born free of the god idea and then indoctrinated into it.

I think it's more of a solid punch!
We may be born free of the god idea but we must not lose hind sight of the fact that we live in a world where 85% of the population have a god existing in their minds.

In a way, it makes sense. After all, atheists come out of this closed mindset that most theists share, and realise there's a whole world out there. They view the universe in an entirely different way. In a manner of speaking, we are born again, because we're given a new chance to feel joy and wonder at the sheer magnitude and complexity of the universe without having to believe in a magical sky daddy who doesn't want you to do anal.

God: "I've sent them the most powerful hurricanes . . . and they're still masturbating!"

The term 'born again' anything doesn't make any sense to me.

You're either alive or you're dead unless you're the "mostly dead" Dread Pirate Roberts. 😉

We can make sense of anything if we only put our mind to it.

. . . and how do you guys put those imojis on your posts? A long time ago I suggested to Admin that we have emoticons and emos to use in our post. Now it's me who got left out, woe is me, aaahuhuhuuuuuuu

Only non-believers can make emoji's here. 😉

Skeptics aren't "born again". Rather we are "enlightened". We "have seen the light and it has set us free." LOL....

I had a friend who described his parents as "born again Buddhists". It brought visions into my mind of patents beating their kids saying, "You will reach enlightenment, even if I have to beat it into you!". It wasn't really liek that for him, his parents ere just fanatics... yeah even Buddhists have fanatics. So, anyway, my point is that for non-Christians, "born again" tends to have a negative context and brings negative images to mind, and for non-Christians that is how it is generally used.

If someone refered to me as a "born again skeptic", I would think they were trying to insult me. Perhaps if someone was a fanatic int he their skepticism, it might be apt if they wee beign a real asshole, but I don't think it would be appropriate under any other circumstance.

This Buddhist can tell you with respect to reincarnation many believe you can be “re-born” several times within one temporal existence. Buddhism isn’t considered a religion as much as it is a practice and way of life which comes from within.

Yes, I agree with you said, aaaahhh, well, most of them. LOL

@SarahSiddons: Amen

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2766
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.