Agnostic.com

12 8

LINK 25 Obscure English Words

There's something so satisfying about pulling out a $15 word — the kind that you hardly ever get to use, but fits the situation perfectly. On the other hand, that feeling when you can't quite find the right word for what you're trying to express is incredibly aggravating. Well, we're here to help. Here are 25 weird, obscure, and downright cool words hidden in the English language.
Related Video: 10 Things You Didn't Know the Word For

Dougy 7 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I took a vocabulary test once, and only missed two words. I still remember them: Bumptious, and Mindicant. (I don't remember what they mean!).

I love words, so this was fun! Especially the very first word listed: "Epeolatry: The worship of words. What better piece of vocabulary to kick off this list with?"

i already knew aglet, tittle, defenestrate, bruxism and phosphene (though i wouldn't have remembered that those lights are called that, i knew what it meant when i saw it), and although i had not ever heard or seen preantepenultimate i could tell what it meant. ag dot com's spellcheck has not heard of four of those.

g

Pffffft! I'm supposed to the the word man. So much for that. 7 out of 25 is not something I would write home about.

I balter like a professional!

I still cannot find one to describe trump.

Trumpopottamous? He does remind me of a bellowing hippo at times!

@davknight Good description but not demeaning enough.

I knew five of the words - aglet, borborygmus, bruxism, taterdemalion and defenestrate.

I will most enthusiastically use "griffonage" at my next doctor visit. Right after I yank the sphygmomanometer off the bulkhead.

The problem with using words no one knows , is that no one will know what you're saying . How often are you likely to have an occasion to discuss otter poop ?

but some of us do know these words, or some of them. so come talk to us with them!

g

While those were interesting and quite fun, I am disappointed that despite readily available tools online, many tend to use the same words repeatedly when there are so many that could easily be substituted for variety.

It is pretty boring to listen to a speech or read a book when the speaker or author has a pet word that seems to be used in this fashion.

English is a very limiting language in some ways, especially with respect to nuances in meaning and clarity...but, when people like you post things like this, it is fun again! Thanks! Love it!

@Donotbelieve Thank goodness I have found people like you and quite a few others that I find engaging...sarcastic, witty, insightful, thoughtful...we must do lunch! ha ha ha

I know borborygmus, it is a medical term, my second language. I know tittle, and taterdemalion. Defenestration also comes into medterms as well as bruxism. I love words!

I reposted this on "Uncommon Words..." a group here.
Do you know about it ?

@Douglas No, I didn't know about it. Thanks for letting me know.

Here's the link to it

[agnostic.com]

@Douglas Thanks!!

~Epeolatry: The worship of words. What better piece of vocabulary to kick off this list with?
~
Aglet: The little piece of plastic on the end of your shoelaces. (Also a great name for a cat, if you ask certain Curiosity editors.)
~Grawlix: You know when cartoonists substitute a bunch of punctuation marks for curse words? They're using grawlix.
~
Borborygmus: A rumbling in your stomach. Time for lunch!
~Accubation: While you quell your borborygmus, you might engage in accubation — the act of comfortably reclining, often during a meal.
~
Jillick: To skip a stone across a surface of water.
~Nibling: Here's a handy word you might just now realize you were missing. "Nibling" is a gender-neutral term for a niece or nephew.
~
Tatterdemalion: Some words just sound like their meaning. A tatterdemalion is somebody wearing tattered clothing. It can also be used as an adjective meaning tattered or ragged in appearance.
~Tittle: The word "tittle" has got just one tittle in it, but this sentence has six — no, seven — more. It's the little dot above a lowercase "j" or "i."
~
Pogonotrophy: You probably know someone who engages in pogonotrophy, the act of growing a beard, even if they don't call it that.
~Pilgarlic: On the opposite end of the spectrum, a pilgarlic is a bald-headed person — usually one you're mocking or feeling sorry for.
~
Balter: One thing we can definitely do with confidence at the Curiosity offices is balter. It means "to dance badly."
~Pandiculation: When you get up in the morning, sit on the edge of your bed, and stretch your arms in all directions, you're actually pandiculating.
~
Sciapodous: Having large feet. Simple as that.
~Natiform: Shaped like a butt. Perfect — no more relying on the peach emoji.
~
Defenestrate: You've got to wonder about the kind of mind that thinks there needs to be a word for throwing someone out of a window.
~Bruxism: Do you grind your teeth at night? Tell your dentist that you suffer from bruxism.
~
Phosphene: While you're pandiculating, you might also press your knuckles into your eyes until little stars appear. Those specks of light are called phosphenes.
~Cataglottism: Technically, you may already know another word for cataglottism, but it's a great way to make "french kiss" sound a lot less sexy.
~
Lemniscate: A figure-8 turned on its side — in other words, the infinity symbol.
~Obelus: The division symbol (÷😉, which we were surprised had an actual name.
~
Preantepenultimate: "Ultimate" is last, "penultimate" is second-to-last, "antepenultimate" is third-to-last, which makes this the preantepenultimate word on this list.
~Griffonage: You might call sloppy handwriting "chicken scratch," but "griffonage" rolls off the tongue much more easily.
~
Archimime: Frankly, we didn't think that this word would mean exactly what it sounds like, but it does. The archimime is the chief buffoon or jester. The boss clown, in other words.
~*Tyrotoxism: Scratch what we said about "defenestrate" earlier — the fact that somebody came up with a word for "to poison with cheese" is much more unbelievable.

Dougy Level 7 Jan 31, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:278368
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.