Agnostic.com

105 91

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

105 comments (101 - 105)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do the teachers want to be armed and do we arm them? Only after passing psych evals and stress testing to find out how they perform under heavy pressure. Even then there is no guarantee how they will react to any given situation. People have suggested using combat experienced Vets, is that any better of a guarantee? Remember how the Vietnam Vets were viewed?
What's the answer? I wish I had one, it appears to be a systemic failure of our society and no one knows how to fix it.

@Crimson67 exactly, hence the reference to Vietnam Vets. I don't believe armed guards are the answer either.
How do we fix this? Any ideas or suggestions?

@Crimson67 I was referring to how the Vietnam Vets were viewed when they returned home. Many were labeled as psycho and extremely unstable which I know is a complete falsehood. I was neither suggesting nor advocating to use Vets as guards, I was presenting an alternative view held by others in an attempt to bring to light the length some are willing to go to. I do not hold such a view and will never expect my fellow Brothers-in-Arms to do more than they already have. We have paid the price, we are not owed anything, we have done our part. Some of us may do more, that is their privilege. I do not expect it of them. Yes I do hold Vets to a higher standard than civilians because honor and courage are more apt to be displayed by them. Are we better than those who didn't serve? No. We are a community amongst ourselves though, a group of been-there-done-that people who share a unique and at times dark experience. They have my six and I have theirs.

I agree and was thinking of posting a similar topic as I watch the news. It makes no sense to me. I bet teachers will be quitting left and right.

What does being shot have to do with teachers having guns? Makes no sense.
Gun free zones obviously do not work. If a few teachers were armed it would

1. prevent shooters from having a free for all without being shot at
  2. Probably prevent school shootings BC the would be shooter would know there would be resistance in the form of live fire coming at them
  3. give kids a chance to live that they do not have now

I don't think mandating that teachers be armed is a viable or legal option. I see no reason why a teacher shouldn't be able to conceal carry at work if they so choose. I've been shot and stabbed.

Teachers are already armed in some schools. That is the only practical solution if anything at all is done. Actually the risk of being shot by a mass shooter is extremely low, less than your chance of being struck by lightning.

@Crimson67 I'm not a combat vet, I'm just pointing out that if they think having been shot gives their argument weight, then it gives mine the same. Yes, I was armed, no I did not return fire, the mere presence of my pistol trained on their face with a laser blinding them was enough to neutralize the threats. I'm glad I did not have to return fire, I was prepared to do so if I had to though, which is why I drew my weapon. The person who shot me dropped their weapon immediately after my command to do so was issued.

@Crimson67 I read the article. I don't agree with the mandatory arming of teachers. I agree with a teacher who wants to carry though. As I have stated before, education is paramount to safety. As long as they are responsible, I say go for it. As far as me being shot, I had no reason to draw my weapon until he told me he was going to shoot me. I then drew on him, he had pulled the trigger as he said what he had planned. It was literally a split second reaction. I'm actually impressed with my draw speed and punch out accuracy. To this day I have not been able to match it, even with 9 years worth of more training.

Brilliant. Thank you for that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27864
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.