Agnostic.com

12 3

Recommendations for agnostics, atheists (Books, video's, etc)

What books, video's, movies, organizations would you recommend to anyone interested or curious to learn about agnosticism or atheism?

Example #1: The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins can be found on youtube, but is also available on Amazon.

Example #2: The Freedom From Religion Foundation ffrf.org works as effective state/church watchdog and voice for freethought (atheism, agnosticism., skepticism)

GoodMan 7 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Podcasts make it possible to endure traffic.

The Skeptics Guide to the Universe.
A perfect listen for anyone on this site.
[theskepticsguide.org]

Savage Lovecast.
Queer pundit Dan Savage dispenses spot-on relationship advice (for non-queers too!) with razor sharp wit.
[savagelovecast.com]

On The Media.
The best journalism being done today, about journalism and media. The news behind the news.
[wnyc.org]

The Thinking Atheist Podcast by Seth Andrews, can be found on YouTube as well as other videos of his presentations. Finding him in the summer of 2016, along with a variety of life events, helped me find my way back out of Christianity.

Irreligion by Paulos, The Evolution of God by Wright, Science & Religion by Dennett, Breaking the Spell by Dennett, When Religion Becomes Evil by Kimball, Philosophy of Religion by Peterson (editor), The Faith Instinct by Wade, The Churching of America 1776-1990 by Finke, The Beginnings of Western Science by Lingberg, The Year of Living Biblically by Jacobs, Misquoting Jesus by Ehrman, American Catholic by Morris, Jesus And Yahweh by Bloom.

I really liked Losing "My Religion: How I Lost My Faith Reporting on Religion in America and Found Unexpected Peace" by William Lobdell. It was the first book I read as I was making my transition out of belief. Very validating and eye-opening. [amazon.com]
I have also been listening to the Cosmic Skeptic on YouTube. He's a young guy but I really like how he simplifies so many things.

I love Monty Python "Life of Brian" which is actually a cutting parody but the comedy is sooooo good that the average viewer forgets how hard hitting it really is. I have read most of the books outlined in the comments below and I can't say there is a single book that I really identified with that gave me great strength to identifying with Atheism. I did enjoy reading the book that I plugged a couple of weeks ago "Why god is impossible" as it is very short, scientifically based and I like the school homework way in which it is presented. There is a free download here [rrdeehan.com]

Anything by Robert Heinlein or Isaac Asimov

Harri Level 1 Oct 27, 2017

In defense of Evil ~ Terroja Kincaid IE TJ Kirk

Holy Bible, The Best Goddamned Version.

Holy hell no...lol

#1. God, The Failed Hypothesis - How Science Shows That God Does Not Exist by Victor Stenger #2. Foundational Falsehoods Of Creationism by Aron Ra #3. God - The Most Unpleasant Character In All Fiction by Dan Barker #4. The Story Of God - A Biblical Comedy About Love (and Hate) by Chris Matheson #5. God Is Disappointed In You by Shannon Wheeler and Mark Russell

Thank you. How I wish the time to read . . . are there audio versions?

SonnyMlaPH: you can check audible.com for audio versions, if you have access to it.

Thinking, Fast and Slow.

It's not about religion per se, but rather the complex animals that we are. It's a fascinating insight into the human mind.

I can also recommend Drunk Tank Pink, which is a quick read on similar lines and Your Brain is (Almost) Perfect.

Draco Level 6 Sep 28, 2017

"Drunk Tank Pink" sounds like a good read, hic!

That’s cool. I’ll read just about anything.

Watch The Atheist Experience on YouTube with Matt Dillahunty.

I will, thanks man

Love Matt Dillahunty and AronRa as well!

Thank you

You're welcome

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.