Agnostic.com

7 6

This is living in the rural South. I belong to a progressive group working for social and climate change here in SWVA. We met last night. On the agenda: a packet of letter to be handed out to your pastor and church elders addressing the importance of recognizing climate change and its impact on local communities and then getting them to look at the wider global issues. There I sat, the lone atheist, twiddling my thumbs, while everyone talked about their church. I was a bit irked that the sole aim of this directed at religious groups. But this IS the South, and that IS the way people think here. Sigh.

BookDeath 8 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Shit, try doing that in Mississippi, they would lynch before ignoring you, then they'd "Bless you heart"

Candy Level 4 Feb 23, 2018

I believe that is the best demographic to target. The only people who don't get it are evcagelical xtians.

JimG Level 8 Feb 23, 2018

Better way to explore opportunities and network with meetings. The alternatives would be ELF. Are they even still active? I like the Sea Shepherds. But an old cargo ship and crash into Japanese whaling vessels. ( insert Worf' s voice here ) "Ramming speed !!!!!!!! "

Welcome to my nightmare..? My take (around here 2 years now) is, religion allows for ‘closer to home’ control. Small town religionists feel little control over the rest of the nation, but ‘by god’ - they’re in control of their tiny piece of it! So they congregate, contemplating the equivalent of dried cow dung ..while nose-led by a semi-charismatic demigod pastor of their pasture…

From my previous rural experience (you’d find ‘southern stupidity’ in the clay hills of Oregon, too) ..it has to get mighty ugly before the ignorant wake up. And, there’s a greed & arrogance factor, too … sea rise from global warming isn’t going to get them ‘up here’ ...it’ll just ripen their tomatoes sooner.. And who cares how much coal they burn, the smoke blows off to some ‘tailpipe state’ anyway.

Actually, places like this website may be our best hope … a respite for freethinkers and confused youth seeking sanity outside their myopic physical world…

PS, my Great, and Great-great grandfather/ parents were from Abington; I’m closer to Roanoke, but glad you’re active over there 🙂

Varn Level 8 Feb 23, 2018

Look on the bright side they are doing something not just praying.

Kimba Level 7 Feb 23, 2018

I understand your frustrations. I use to do a lot more activist work than I do now.I You work with people where they are. A lot of good can be done through churches. Just look for opportunities to expand the conversation.

JeffB Level 6 Feb 23, 2018

I know....I lived in the South for a while....so glad to be back home in California.

marga Level 7 Feb 23, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28003
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.