Agnostic.com

18 9

Is the love of the Abrahamic God an example of Stockholm syndrome?

Isn't it strange that the Abrahamic notion of God gained more traction than did some of the more benevolent Gods? Does humanity feel more comfortable offering respect and affection to someone holding a gun to there heads than to someone who accepts them flaws and all? A God you love out of fear has won out over a God you love out of awe and appreciation.

paul1967 8 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The bible is more ruthless than Hitler in some ways and I can’t understand how come religious people can’t see that. To much indoctrination at an early age maybe?

Of all the evil people humanity has known, Hitler ranks pretty high, and even he doesn't deserve eternal punishment.

Christ sakes and his twelve boyfriends, it really does. I would even argue that it can keep a person immature mentally.

the notion of a 'love out of fear' makes my head hurt.

tolerating, even accepting an entity out of fear has nothing to do with love, & everything with the urge of self-preservation (i hope this is the proper term), which in a way makes it an act of self-love. it kind of confirms my lifelong suspicion that people don't believe out of their own free will, but because they have been scared into submission.

No.

I'm good with no, but I would like to know why you say no.

@paul1967 Stockholm syndrome is something that occurs in kidnapping situations or hostage situations when one person holds another person physically captive. Unless your preist/reverend has you captive in their church, it doesn't apply.

@Druvius So, I'm just asking in a noncombative way. Is it just because God isn't physically holding them hostage. Mentally holding someone hostage by threatening them with eternal damnation if they don't comply isn't the same even if the net result is a love of that diety out of fear for their survival. Is the distinction merely the presence of a physical capture vs. a mental capture?

@paul1967 I am a proponent of science, and while there are some extreme conditions where religious belief strays into mental illness, I am not aware of any psychologists claiming that belief in any God is an example of Stockholm Syndrome. In fact the habit many athiests have of freely diagnosing religiois people as sufferring from delusions or other mental illnesses strikes me a bit odd, I leave such diagnoses to the experts.

@Druvius Thank you for taking the time, and I will reconsider my position based on your well thought out post and the information you shared. I'm never afraid of being wrong.

The thing about stockholm syndrome is holding the gun is only half of it, the other half is that they are taking care of you.

Isn't that what believers believe God does for them?

Ohh! Interesting! I've never thought of it that way before...

Yes. As I have seen many abused children grow up and love their abusive parents. I was doing the same thing, until my awareness kicked in.

Only for the persons that lay that crap on them.

No its a cargo cult

Vvvv Level 2 Feb 23, 2018

I don't know what that means, so I Googled it. This is what it said: (in the Melanesian Islands) a system of belief based on the expected arrival of ancestral spirits in ships bringing cargoes of food and other goods. Is that what you meant?

It doesn't appear to be strange if we consider the ways these fear based proselytizing cults operate. They actively subdue members as soon as possible, before development of reasoning faculties, when their minds are accepting and trusting.

The comparison to Stockholm syndrome is spot on. It is especially on display when their captors are criticized or condemned by infidels. They 'identify' with the god and the system of indoctrination. To attack it is to attack them. It is captivity without physical restraints and confinement to a space. They are in a state of mental and emotional isolation. The 'right' to evaluate or even question is abdicated as the price of admission.

Mexican Catholics are a good example of this. A great many were Jewish when they fled the inquisition to Mexico. They pretended to be Catholic to avoid the persecution. The inquisition followed them. A generation or two later they all were Catholic. You can only pretend at a thing for so long.
There are a ton of stories out there about people finding out about their forced heritage.

Yes, I think that’s a reasonable assumption, and it still possibly holds up even if God is assumed to be only a metaphor for reality. We are all captives of reality. We can’t escape. It will do what it wants with us. We are convinced it will kill us in the end. Our choices are to hate reality or fall in love with it. Maybe love is actually the more sane response to inevitability. Maybe the Christian metaphor has it right.

skado Level 9 Feb 23, 2018

For women, I think so.

For men, I think it's a trade. They submit to their religions and their religions grant them dominion over their partners, children, and home.

Yes, but God is still holding the detonator ready and willing to blow men into oblivion.

@paul1967 I don't think they really believe it. They don't act like they really believe it. If I really believed it, there's no way I'd line highways with strip club and gun billboards.

I would put it closer to battered wife syndrome. But, those are near cousins anyway.

I've always thought so and I know I'm not alone.

LMAO that's a helluva question!

godef Level 7 Feb 23, 2018

Interesting parallel, isn't it?

The Roman empire established Christianity as a way to control the people in their massive empire. It's easier to control what people are doing behind closed doors when they think there is always someone watching them. The NSA and other agencies are the new God in this context.

I think love for the God of the Bible is an example of Stockholm syndrome. You are told he exists and is all powerful and that you have to worship him. When you submit you begin to find some good qualities and then you develop a love for him based on your perception of these good qualities.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28033
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.