Agnostic.com

5 5

LINK My response when I'm told I can't understand the Bible.

I am often told that I can't understand the Bible as I am an atheist. It is odd that Christians have the least understanding of the Bible of all people. This video explains why. It actually is on my channel to help them.

DavidLaDeau 8 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've noticed in my life and as an English teacher that a compelling story tends to be believed more than a messy reality (especially a reality that makes for an uninteresting story). My high school students will often blurt out, "Is this a true story?", especially when the story gets the most compelling--that is, where it is the most believable, emotional, and logical within its imaginary world.
Even last week, the kids had a question on where they would place the "houses" of Montague and Capulet on the stage as a set designer for the play. They knew it was a play, I explained it as a play, and demonstrated how the chorus would come out at the beginning of the play, where the audience would be, how the audience would react to certain jokes, etc., but when we started reading it, they were reading it as if it were reality. I had to explain that the story wasn't real, THAT IT WAS A PLAY ON A STAGE, and the question was where a STAGE DESIGNER would put the houses ON THE STAGE to illustrate that the two families hate each other.

I often tell people that the little boy that cried wolf is a true story, that is one should not lie. It is NOT however a factual account of concordant events. That is how the Bible should be understood also.

@DavidLaDeau Stephen King once said that fiction is the truth inside the lie. And Dan Dennett has said the same thing in regards to Native American myths--ie, that they were believed as "true", meaning the lessons and universal truths within them were true, not the specifics of the story itself. (And Aristotle said that poetry--or narrative stories--is more valuable than history because stories grapple with universal problems, while history only grapples with specifics.)

Great video thanks.

It's hard to understand unless your disbelief is suspended about, let's say, up at ceiling level. Also, put your critical thinking on hold and take your brain off the hook; if reality wants you, it will call back.

Christians are taught not to answer the call!

I can somewhat understand it, though, if everything around you is geared toward believing something, you are told that if you do not believe it you are a bad person, and the love and support of family and friends is all contingent on believing it (or even just pretending you do). (And especially if you are young and poor, and have no support system that isn't intimately entwined with religion.)
I do think we all have different psyches that are more or less prone to believing certain myths. Christianity always seemed very odd to me. But the alien abduction myth consumed me for 10 years in the '90s. Everything I found absolutely compelling back then is not so impressive to me anymore. (I could also see my younger self, in the right--or wrong--circumstances, falling victim to a cult. It's a weird thing to say, but there it is.)

I always tell them that reading and understanding the bible is what helped to solidify my atheism.
Then I demonstrate that I know their bible, and it's history, better than they do.
They usually go away pretty angry.
🙂

At the end of my Videos in my outro I state that I was compelled by the bible to no longer believe IN the Bible. They usually just get quiet when I have to educate them about their misunderstandings about the Bible.

Where have you been? Its ages since I've seen you post (not a stalker btw 😉 )

Divorce has taken much of my time, I'm still looking for a place to live. I have been lucky to have friends make a few videos for my YouTube channel. I am also trying to start a local hangout at a bar or something. I have my hands in too many cookie jars!

@DavidLaDeau goodo nice to see you

@Amisja Thank You! I'm am glad to see that someone was concerned! It is really helpful in this time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:280491
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.