Agnostic.com

9 8

QUESTION Three things every toxic relationship has in common — Quartz

Interesting, I know I am guilty of one of these. With extenuating circumstances.

Akfishlady 8 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My marriage was toxic. I literally could not imagine life without him in it. Then I got out, and realised that life was much, much better without him.

Ori89 Level 4 Feb 24, 2018

Yep

jeffy Level 7 Feb 24, 2018

In my experience, a relationship does not have to reach the described extreme levels to be toxic!

I've had a toxic relationship; one in which (it was suggested to me) I capitulated too easily. A recent friendship turned out to be toxic. Within a reasonable time, I was able to identify the toxicity. (I need to add, toxicity doesn't label the other person as "bad". Their issues aren't compatible with mine.) As @Tifanny comments, it is an indication of a childhood of shaming or punishing rather than compassionate discipline.

So my question is how to avoid a toxic relationship? I just read an article on this and I guess one reason I was in a toxic relationship is: Did you have a parent with a bad temper?

If so, you’re experiencing what Freud called Repetition Compulsion. Your past is sneaking into your present. You accept being shrieked at as being “normal” when it’s not. Some part of you from childhood feels “you’re bad” and deserves anger as a ritualistic behavior. Well, I’m here to tell you, the time has come to stop these anger rituals! Nothing in your past is in your present making you do anything you don’t choose to do. You are not your past history! You are not your past failures! You are not how others have at one time treated you! You are only who you are and what you do now in this moment. I can thankfully say I have learned my lesson.

Thanks. It was helpful because of where my mind is at.

I reckon I never had a toxic relationship... I had been so damn Lucky!!!!

Very good. Thanks for sharing

I've been in a toxic relationship. I relate to number 2 and 3. I'm a lot smarter now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28243
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.