Agnostic.com

51 7

In the Bible where Jesus says "He who is without sin the first stone" Two questions come to mind:Why did she cheat and why didn't the man whom she cheated with get punished?

PatrickKerr 6 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hi! I believe in the word of God.
The black screen helps you relax when using the computer too much.

Who cares its only fiction

Which Jesus? The White one, the Black one, the Korean one or the one cobbled together from a bunch of minor prophets to make the early Xstian religion?
He who is without sin, cast the first stone/
I don't do sin, I try to be good but I want to be bad, that's not a sin, it's just human nature.

1. She wanted some dick
  2. He was probrably a politician and paid some hush money

Pretty sure I’m right on both answers

Believing in Jesus is like believing in Popeye the Sailor.

Actually he was based on a real person.

@PatrickKerr So is Popeye the Sailor.....my uncle!!!

Dude, seriously? Perhaps a focus group dedicated to the inexplicable and contradictory Bible is where this discussion belongs.

Nobody wonders why he didn't just insist NOBODY should be throwing stones? By leaving the criteria open to personal subjective interpretation, he's still endorsing a situation in which it's ok to throw stones. Typical religious hypocrite. Violence is still an acceptable solution when and if I determine it is.

Catch my next post on why Jesus threw a temper tantrum and kicked out the moneychengers.

The authors of the book and the rules were garden-variety misogynists.

That's the way there society worked back then and now. Women in middle eastern countries are treated like shit. They are almost second class citizens. Heck look at our own country back in the 16th centuries and still into the 21st century. They still are not paid the same as men in big businesses. In the military and government offices, it is a different story, but out in the business world, well hmmmf.

Trod Level 5 Sep 9, 2019

not being religious as in believe every word, no way, but sometimes , most of is is allegory, but got to admit it is true,

actually , if put all together, "JESUS" , these are just things that tell us, if anything that is about feminism and for women to be free and treated equally, so everybody calm down,

i.e. go ahead and do it, and wait for it, cause Karma is a Bitch, just wait for it, anyway, the Bible folks just try to turn his or other whatsoever's , they want Jesus the Healer, make him into sissy boy, for their reasons, but

anybody that is going to say you are an atheist or agnostic, then why are you afraid to read it???

nothing to be afraid of and you can bet I am a Biblical Scholar and also student of all the major religions and

if you are not even going to read them and the wisdom that is given by these ancients from 1000's of years ago, then you live in FEAR! and I do include THE BUDDHA , THE DALAI LAMA,

so really stop using that word spiritual!!!

so, what are you afraid of...

no reason to fear, never but be afraid very afraid, as the religious ones on this site, are nothing BUT FEARFUL

to defeat them, is not to be fearful as are they,

LOOK AT IT, STAND DOWN , AND NO YOUR ARE NOT

WE BETTER, AS IT SEEMS THAT THE CONSTITUTION IS NOT BEING FOLLOWED;

SEPARATION OF STATE AND RELIGION!! SO THAT IS SOMETHING TO BE VERY AFRAID, VERY, IF THIS CONTINUES

FRANKLIN GRAHAM, JOHN HAGEE , AND THE KUSHNERS ARE!!!

also Margaret Atwood has just released her sequel to the Handmaid's Tale, and she wrote that in 80's, and now is the next one, so would suggest might want to read her! she is some kind of sage!!

IMHO

The guy seldom gets punished.

Carin Level 8 Aug 12, 2019

All the New Testament is mostly fiction but that particular story is even more questionable as it is not in the most ancient documents therefore to take it into consideration is a waste of time.

Historically, men have been blameless. Back in those days, women were either the property of their fathers or their husbands. Its funny though, cause it says: "He", when perhaps he was meaning all the out of control sluts.

Just imagine something like this today.
The members of a jury can only bring in a 'guilty' verdict if they've never broken a law before ! Criminals would have a field day !

The sermons I heard on this either ignored the inconsistency in the law or pointed to it being a set-up. Most of the sermons went on to hypothesize about what Jesus wrote and suggested he was listing all their sins.
Then the sermon would usually go to how even thinking bad things was the same as doing them and we are all horrible sinners.
Then the altar call.

Why who knows other biblical law a good reason against theocracy

bobwjr Level 10 May 18, 2019

That portion of the Bible is not found in any other the most historical versions of the Bible. Of course there are no originals of biblical texts. Just the copies of copies of copies of copies.

More importantly, this portion was probably made up by scribes who added it hundreds of years later.

Right after Jesus said that a meteor crashed into the ground leaving a smoking crater where the woman stood. Jesus looks to the sky, exasperated and says," Thanks Dad, I was trying to make a point."

LOL

Because in Christianity, men matter, women are expendable.

It was all a setup, if they had been caught committing adultery both the man and woman would have been exposed, so Jesus just kinda looked at them, did some doodling in the sand (do you have any idea how much it has been discussed what Jesus was writing in the sand??), he was just messing with them, he knew the laws of adultery, he was a jew after all and knew their over 740 + laws, these are the laws that Jesus hated, so he told them go ahead and throw the stones and kill her but a caveat: that is if you have not committed any sins yourselves, just go ahead a do it He knew it was a set-up but also how stupid they were doing it that way!

Garbage book, trash ideas!

zesty Level 7 Apr 5, 2019

It doesn't matter. The point is that everyone had sinned so no one was qualified to stone her.

Orbit Level 7 Apr 5, 2019

that was the point!! go ahead kill her but...

Why, then, 'tis none to you, for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. To me it is a prison. Well, then it isn't one to you, since nothing is really good or bad in itself—it's all what a person thinks about it.
No Fear Shakespeare: Hamlet: Act 2 Scene 2 Page 11 - SparkNotes

In that passage it makes a big point of saying Jesus was writing on the ground with a stick in the dust, I'm guessing some kind of warning to back the fuck off maybe?
Pretty obvious if this was a prostitute they were her clients and they did not want to pay then perhaps their wives might have had an opinion on the matter, and under Jewish law a woman could divorce and demand recompence from an adulterous spouse.
It begs the question how Jesus knew all her clientele and her profession, but friend of whotres and money lenders and all that, makes for some juicy blackmail fodder.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:283760
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.