Agnostic.com

10 7

What do you choose?

Is it possible to choose happiness? Voltaire thought so and I tend to agree. If that's true, then are there other emotions we can "choose" to feel or experience? i.e., fear, anxiety, contentment, anger, confidence, etc.

""Positive Vibes"" Group

BeeHappy 9 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One cannot argue with his premise.

I agree! ?

@BeeHappy Nice to see you back as I have not seen you for a while. Have a nice day.

@Marine Thanks! I've been here, just been hanging in a couple groups mostly. ?

@BeeHappy please come back

@Marine I am. ?

@BeeHappy Yeah!!!!!

There are actually studies that have shown changes in brain chemicals and activity when people smile and "fake" being happy...they actually do become happier! People react to the outward appearance, smile back, etc. etc. creating more positive feelings...it takes less effort to be happy than to dwell in some of the more negative emotions...thanks for posting a nice one...it makes me...happy! ha ha

You are welcome! Just trying to spread the love! ?

@BeeHappy

It’s entirely possible that acting as if would actually create the very outcome you’re hoping for. Seth Godin

@thinktwice I hope so. ?

I don't choose anything. And there isn't a way to force myself to be happy or not happy. Happiness comes and goes according to what's going on in my life. I can tell you for example, that this morning when I went to the house the plumber was 40 minutes late. I was not happy about that. But last night teaching a group class, there were 9 people laughing and having a great time in my studio, playing music and enjoying the companionship. I was happy then.

I see your point. ?

I don't mean to argue with you, but you're letting things you cannot control determine your happiness. The plumber being late, while not good, is out of your control. Can you be happy despite that? And this may be semantics, I admit. I generally choose to be happy and roll with punches. The plumber is late but I can be happy anyway. I'm not pleased with the plumber, in fact quite annoyed. But I am happy because I'm on this side of the grave today and I have other stuff to look forward to.

@HippieChick58 perhaps you define happiness differently than I

I choose to be positive. So nice job.

Thanks! ?

I reject hate and choose love.

Nice! ❤

I think seeking happiness directly is counter-productive, like desperately trying to go to sleep.

Maybe we should choose to do things that make us happy as a result of those things.

I'm not sure about getting happiness through thinking good things but it might work like meditation.

Thanks for sharing! ?

I agree with @brentan We can't choose to be happy -- emotions can't be turned on and off like a faucet. But we can choose things that can make us happy, and learn how to appreciate ourselves regardless of what we're feeling. Happiness isn't about the absence of sadness, but about embracing and accepting who we are, warts and all.

Nice! ?

I choose happiness, good cheer, humor, good will and kindness. 🙂

Love it! ??

You can always have an attitude adjustment.

Lol, absolutely true! ?

I read something quite a few years ago that has stuck with me. The secret to happiness is Something to do, Someone to love, and Something to look forward to. I am a crafter, have a decent home, two cats, and live alone, I ALWAYS have something to do. I have children and grandchildren that I love more than life. And generally there is always something to look forward to. I look forward to participating on Ag.com. I will see the grandbabies soon. Hopefully I will be starting a new job soon. Yes, I still have to do my taxes which makes me wanna run far far away, but other than that I'm pretty happy.

How wonderful! Thank you for sharing your story! ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:284298
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.