Agnostic.com

10 6

Should vaccine exemptions for personal reasons be banned?

Let's be real here, anti-vaxxers are putting others in danger. Most recently I believe is a measles outbreak (correct me if I'm wrong) How can we insure herd immunity when people are still claiming reasons to not vaccinate, like religion for one. How can it be addressed for those who have compromised immune systems, or those who are allergic to something within the vaccine? So, should steps be taken to ban personal exemptions at the very least?

BohoHeathen 8 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I respect valid medical reasons why a person shouldn't be vaccinated. If just those people opted out, herd immunity would cover the rest. I'm a Bible toting conservative shouldn't be an acceptable reason to not vaccinate. The phrase "Nature weeding out the stupid!", comes to mind.

As shitty as it is, ultimately I have to respect someone’s right to not vaccinate if they do not wish to.

I can't for the life of me wrap my head around that this is even an issue.
Vaccinate, why on earth would one not.
And fuck jenny mccarthy, and the ilk that follows her.

@BohoHeathen Because of people like her Men. women and children are dying.

A most emphatic YES to banning exemptions, both personal and religious, etc, except in cases of allergic reactions to vaccines of course, against vaccinations AND, in addition, a another TOTAL ban on the Idiotic Jehovah's Witness rule against Blood Transfusions for children as well.

There are legit times, as with a kid who has major surgery like heart surgery (those are the kids most at risk by the normals refusing). It should be harder to obtain. And doctors making it a financial racket should be severely punished

It should be, but it won't.
They are idiots and humans have this bizarre instinct to cave when confronted with stupidity.

The outcry will probably center around "they are my kids, and I will do what I believe is best for them" - which will rally a substantial part of the faith-horde to their cause because beliefs trumps facts and prayer cures burst appendixes.
We let racists poison their kids with hatred for the same reason. You can't infringe on beliefs, no matter how idiotic, unless you can prove they are an immediate threat to others. Stomping the occasional African Americans to death or spreading the occasional illness is not going to hold up in court as reason enough to actually do something.
Belief 1
Sanity 0

I came across this on Facebook today and shared it, immediately.

JimG Level 8 Feb 8, 2019

It's ironic that if it wasn't for antivaxxers there'd be less vaccines.
No-one gets a smallpox vaccine any more since the disease was totally wiped out.
We're nearly there with polio but if antivaxxers in Pakistan and Afghanistan get their way we'll need to continue those vaccinations for generations.

There are people dying as we speak because of anti-vaxxers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:284663
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.