Agnostic.com

45 3

When someone invites you to a wedding, how do you feel?

I'm wondering how many people like going to weddings. People spend thousands of dollars to have a ceremony. But, who really enjoys it? I'm sure some people do (no judgement... maybe??? lol).

Even the people getting married seem to have a huge deal of stress over the whole event. I personally never had a wedding.

So, when you get a wedding invitation, how do you feel?

• 5 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 28 votes
  • 16 votes
silvereyes 8 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depends on the wedding. Went to one wedding that was painful to watch. Unrehearsed, and never have small children as part of the actual ceremony. Another that turned out to be a blatant and insulting farce to harvest money from co-workers. And to my brother's, where everything about it was epic, especially the feast and party afterwards. I'll play the next one by ear.

I'm not looking forward to my best friend's wedding.

1. I'll probably be the best man. I hate speeches. I don't like standing up in front of a crowd and talking. Especially with people I don't know and expressing my feelings.

2. Right now, he's having it in the Dominican Republic. Most of his and his fiance's friends and family are in the U.S., but for some reason he wants to have it in DR. He has a cousin in DR and he was born there. So now everyone that lives here has to buy a plane ticket which will probably cost around at least $600 and then take however many days off from their regular life for the event.

Then I just don't like weddings in general. Loud music where you can't hear people you're talking to, and then everyone wants to dance.

I promise I'm not that boring, but yeah lol

If someone no matter how close I am to them expected me to cough up that kind of money and time for their wedding I would respectfully decline.

@Paul628 It's just a huge inconvenience to everyone involved.

@Paul628 ...and not everyone has at least $600 laying around.

If the wedding is that much of an inconvenience, if it will cost you that much money, if you loathe public speaking that much why on earth did you agree to attend/participate in the first place?

@Wrytyr I never said I did agree to attend or participate. It's still at least a year away. When you are the groom's best friend it's pretty expected of you though. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet to be there for the people we care about.

@Piece2YourPuzzle Okay.

I tend to get invited to my fair share of weddings but I'm usually standing at the very front and in front of the Bride & Groom, talking a lot and asking them questions. I follow no particular faith or dogma and will marry any two people in love.

I'll go for the drinks and festivities if I can't get out of it altogether.

I've been known to give the lucky couple my condolences. They don't exactly appreciate that.

It's not something I typically enjoy, so I take the mercenary attitude of “as much free food as possible” 😛

I chose other. I am somewhat indifferent because I am usually working in some capacity when I am at a wedding, whether handling the sound and music, photography or officiating. It sounds like work, to me, but at the same time, it sounds like money, too.

I hate buying yet another fucking gift for a couple who will break up before a year is up!

This actually happened to me. Not only did I have to buy a wedding gift, but I was also the maid of honor and spent thousands on the shower, bachelorette, and my own dress, among other things...only for them to decide to divorce a year later.

@WickedNicki Don't spend a dime on her next one!

@EllenDale Hopefully she won't be doing that again!

I’m the guy that’s wants to be invited and never goes.

happy. What? I like weddings 🙂

I have to say that for someone to invite you to their wedding is a great privilege. This is the most exciting day of their lives up to now. For them to want you to be there to share in their joy is a huge complement! But, I try to avoid them, lol! I just don't like to have to get that dressed up anymore!

I love going to weddings, I'm about being the best supportive friend that I can be. I love giving gifts anyway.
When I first got married instead of having a wedding, my husband and I had a 3 month
honey moon in Belize. For us that was better than
spending money on a wedding. We didn't want to go back home back to our work life.

I think I am a bit sickened by them, I like 'simple', and now thousands of pounds are spent on them and I don't really understand why? is it competition time ?

@jacpod I agree. Throw a party and supply alcohol and weed. It's cheaper.

Yeah I voted indifferent or mixed but it's really that I don't like them. Then again I haven't gone to one since I turned 21, so...there's that. Sometimes dancing could be fun, I imagine. If I'm drunk lol, OR it's ballroom dancing, and I have someone I can dance with. In other words, only a close friend preferably.

I got good excuses now...lol. so I don't have to go anymore.... yep... I like the 60's... then and now
..lol.

If it's someone I care about or am close to, I'll go out of courtesy I guess. Like I can put up with the religious crap and be there for support, but I'm mostly indifferent. Plenty of people I know where I'd go to their wedding because I respect them enough and could see myself enjoying it.

Last few weddings I've had to go to were family weddings, and I was bored out of my mind and like a fish out of water. Didn't help that the last one I went to I was pretty much forced to. A cousin who I hadn't seen in like a decade was getting married and when I was asked initially I shrugged and wasn't sure. Later I just wanted to decline because it's not like I'd be missed or anything, and didn't really care, but got dragged to it by family anyways. Makes the whole experience miserable when I'm pretty much there against my will surrounded by people I don't really care about.

It depends on who the wedding is for . My friends I would be honored to attend. Someone at the office no thank you.

It would depend. If it was someone I loved and cared about, I would feel honored. If I was asked to be a member of the wedding party, I'd still feel honored, but uneasy about what I'd have to wear because some bridesmaids dresses can be hideous or uncomfortable (I've done both). And if it was one of those over-the-top things where it felt like it was more about the wedding than the marriage, then that's just sad.

My great-niece got married in a Catholic Church. I showed up at the reception.

The only memorable weddings are the ones where shit goes wrong, and you can't always count on that happening.

Usually I get roped into doing some sort of role for the wedding. DJ, video, I even officiated once (it was actually a non-religious wedding, I made the sermon a math lesson).

I go out of obligation but I don't enjoy them.

Honestly I'm happy but t the same time I feel weirdly jealous because of what they have that I don't. Then I start disliking myself for feeling like that way. So I tend to avoid weddings.

Unless, of course, it's nearby, has friends and relatives attending that I've not seen in a while, has a dance floor and a DJ, and I have a great dance partner.

Happy if I like the people, obligated if I don’t but am related. I’m a romantic so I’m happy to help them celebrate their love.

the last wedding i went to was that of a very mature couple; he was 70, she a few years younger - very trim & quite sweet both of them. they are members in the choir i attend every week, & they'd invited the choir & asked us to sing 'never tear us apart'. everyone had a great time, & i even got to dance with our gay choir master.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28474
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.