Agnostic.com

23 3

How do I get out of jury duty?

I am a teacher; I am currently hosting a student teacher; I am the sole caretaker of two elderly parents; my jury summons says I will be needed for two weeks in March; I don't see that happening.

greyeyed123 7 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Call in and explain your situation. I had just come home from the hospital with a newborn after a C-section that I was nursing, and I was handed a summons for jury duty. I told the deputy what the situation was and he followed up on it and I was excused. Or if you have to go in for a day make sure you express opinions that would not be acceptable in the case, as in adamant against the death penalty, or what ever, or that you have knowledge of or know the individuals in the case. I knew a lady who was called for jury duty. She had shared a cabin with the defendant at summer camp 20 years before. She was excused.

The summons says no phone calls accepted. They give me three lines to write any excuses. I'm wondering if requesting spring break week would work...or even time in July during summer break.

@greyeyed123 Write small and legibly and explain the situation. My jury summons was in Virginia, every state is different. I've been summoned once in Nebraska, but then was excused before having to go in, they didn't need a jury that week.

@greyeyed123 I was able to get my jury duty rescheduled to another time. Then I went.

@greyeyed123 In California, they will definitely give teachers an extensions until summer.

Just state some extreme opinions on whatever they are asking about. Go extreme right wing and you’ll most likely get excused.

I doubt I could actually do that. And if I tried, I doubt it would be believable.

@greyeyed123 I probably couldn’t either. I’ve seen some people do it. I was eager to serve on jury and got on a federal case lasting 7-8 weeks. Long, but an amazing experience.

You could always try robbing a liquor store if nothing else works for you. Not that it would get you out of court, but it would get you out of the jury box.

Throw the thing away, never respond, never go. have you ever heard of anyone ever getting arrested for throwing away the summons, ignoring it and not going? no, you haven't, because it never happens. I did this years ago and I have not got a summons in over 10 years. The more you go the more you will get and the more you will get hit up to go. So when it comes in the mail, toss it. People move, people die, people like me don't even go, don't stress over it. Toss it.

In mty jury pool somebody was cited for contempt of court for not showing up. Many people were able to get out of jury duty by claiming hardship.

@GeorgeRocheleau Because they had already responded to it, that's the problem, I am saying to never respond. You are a fool if you respond and then not go. I didn't say that. Your comment has nothing to do with my comment.

Tell them the truth. You are only called if there is a criminal trial.

In Washington State, we have a two-week window for jury duty. Have to call twice a week.

Twice, I've done that. Luckily, there was no criminal trial each time. Apparently I'm off the hook.

I think it's everyone's civic duty to serve jury duty. However, there are legitimate reasons not to go. Yours sound valid. Not doing it because you don't want to is a cop out. That being said, if you are being tried, you want people there who WANT to be there.

my doctor wrote me a note

Carole's idea is probably fine but if you wanna do it by the books call the court office of the judge and explain the situation. The only time I ever got summoned I called n left em a voicemail saying I was a student and I was going to fail if I missed anymore classes. Didn't go in, never heard anything else about it.

simply call the court, explain the situation.

really,try honestly
thanks

Get a felony conviction.

😉

I was told by a judge, the way to get out of a court summons for jury duty is to tell them that your religion does not allow you to pass judgement on another individual.

First, tell them all of the above. Usually (in California) that would be enough to have them give you a pass.  
    I am a little embarrassed when I think about it now, but for over 10 years I told them I was a nursing mother. They don't seem to question that, but after that many years, I thought they might get suspicious. 
     Funny, now that I am retired and have time for jury duty, they seldom call.

Under your circumstances it is understandable to not wish to serve, and you will probably be granted a pass. Other than that - and as I read some of the responses below - I am appalled at what should be an eagerness to serve on a jury. If I were to ever face a trial, I would hope that responsible and intelligent people would be serving on a "jury of my peers". Most people I know would prefer to not serve on a jury because it is inconvenient. I would find it inconvenient as well, but I would be happy to do my civic duty, and serve to the best of my ability. Do your duty if you can!

...I totally agree;
as in the system needs to work,
if it doesn't/it should be fixed....

A friend of mine was called up and informed the court officer that he found it impossible to sit for more than half an hour without falling asleep. He was called up anyway, so on his first day in court he relaxed, nodded off, was ejected from the court and never got called back.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 9, 2019

I got called for jury service when I lived in Arizona. I called them and said, 'Happy to come but I am British'. That did the trick, they never asked me again 😉. I have never been asked in UK, my Dad thinks its because I have dubious political views! Good luck. You aren't an indentured slave...your mitigating circumstances seem reasonable.

I was called up three times in California. The first time I had just moved to and was living in Hawaii. The second and third times (last 12 months) I advised them that I am sole provider of me and that I worked fulltime and that my employer was not going to pay me for time off. They accepted that situation both times and I did not have to serve. I actually wanted to serve all three times but just found it impossible to do so.

I love California!!!!
thanks,,,

@BBJong California is amazing.?

This will work

In the U.K. you would be on a list of exempted occupations.

I recently was called up for jury duty. They told us it was for a high profile murder trial and I just couldn't miss that much work. A few jurors asked to be dismissed due to life circumstances; one was a medical intern working long hours, another had a vacation booked. Neither was let go. I watched other prospective jurors get dismissed for answering questions in a way that made them appear racist, mistrustful of police and the legal system, or generally uncooperative. I imitated them and was dismissed quickly.

I’ve been called several times. Recently I’ve been excused because I work out of state.
Twice I was not selected as a juror.
Once I served on a jury, and found it very interesting.
If the circumstances are right- I’m pleased to serve.

Be a little crazy....and have predetermined ideas about what is right/wrong and tell them that the justice system is broken and needs an overhaul. Hum Row Row Row Your Boat under your breath in between answering questions... LOL

Easy ! I told them I wasn't a citizen! Yet!

...related to officer of court?
...don't believe in corporal punishment?
age prejudice?
recent victim of crime?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:284850
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.