Agnostic.com

40 6

What is the worst purchase you’ve ever made?

I tell you first. Being excited about e-book readers, I bought myself a Sony Reader worth $300. That was about 11 years ago. The unit was very sluggish with a noticeable delay when turning a page. After few months the battery died permanently. Worst purchase ever!

Aralt 7 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Don't they have 12 mos manufacture warranty? Whatever was my worst I erased off my mind, I can tell you about the worst return... since I had always worked with music production of some kind I remember purchase of a Yamaha daughter board to my soundcard... after 2 weeks I returned it.... I still over 20 years later haven't found a better trumpet sound than that Yamaha daughter board sound card. I am sure I got whatever sound blaster came up with.

@ArashL Yep, sometimes you can't wait to throw the damn thing away.

I bought a dell for 700 dollars, it didn't work, took it back, they have me a new one, it didn't work, took it back and asked the geek squad what computer he would recommend and he said an Asus, paid ah additional 100, and 8 years later, my Asus still works!

My Asus disintegrated lol, just fell apart one day. I still use my Sony Vaio, which i bought 10 years ago at least, and they do not even make them anymore. The damn thing will not die and its so damn heavy. Ha. But I will not buy a new laptop until this one finally dies.

Chinese mobile phone. Kept crashing, battery life was rubbish.

My marriage license. : d

I once fell for one of those online "free" computer scans that found thousands of different problems on your system. It only cost me twenty dollars, but once I looked into it, I realized that the scan would always identify the same thousands of problems, because it was a fake. Once is enough!

First pack of cigarettes

Either a Whirlpool clothes dryer that broke a pully within the first year and simply had to be replaced, OR two Koehler Toilets that were supposed to be unpluggable, yet plugged as badly as any toilet AND were made horribly cheap, despite costing me top $. Never again!

Zster Level 8 Feb 24, 2018

x-ray glasses

1993 Ford Ranger

1993 Ford Ranger

A folding porta-potty, and a solar radio. The two items would not matter much...except I fell for the Y2K hysteria. The embarrassment alone was worth donating them (still in their boxes) to Goodwill.

A web design class in a continuing education program at a local college. Didn't learn anything and the instructor was useless.

I bought a set of encyclopedias from a door-to-door salesman in 1993. I thought I would use the heck out of them. Never opened one book. They stayed on the shelf and I continued to pay for them. In the end, I paid about $1500. The interest ate me alive. Live and learn.

Behr Level 2 Feb 24, 2018

Motorcycle/scooter. I have absolutely 0 interest, I just thought I would try it. I find it too damned hot, too damned cold, too damned wet, too damned uncomfortable for long drives, too damned little room to carry stuff, and always dangerous. I do like the way it looks, though.

I currently live in Thailand with little access to books in English,
Many Kindle books I've bought turned out to be boring after all, and I either stopped reading them, or never read them again.

Having a Kindle reader and simply "borrowing" ebooks from Amazon Kindle could have been better, but here in Thailand, I needed a tablet that could do it all.

@ArashL Yes, I have a 2014 Galaxy Note 10.1, Thai version.

Lately, the tablet's Kindle app has been acting up, blocking me from uploaded books while I'm reading offline.
I called the Thai Sansung techs once and not only did nobody speak English-including the "English speakers" on the robo voice, when I pressed the number for an English-speaking tech person, nobody answered. But I can try again.

A 1946 Cadillac hearse that didn't run. It was a great conversation piece though.....

Reminds that someone in my neighborhood has one of those. Haven't seen it in almost a year. Wonder if they moved. I think next time I see one on the road, Im gonna wave them down and chat LOL

You meet interesting people that way. 🙂 I followed a 1964 Ford van for miles trying to get the driver to stop. Very cool guy.

The Sea Monkeys advertised in the back of that damned Archie Comics.

Listen to former husband and bought a Pinto. Did not catch on fire but engine blew up after 2 months

In 1988, I spent every penny I'd managed to save from Basic Training and my enlistment bonus on an engagement ring and a used car. The ring cost more. I should've spent all the money on a better car.

JimG Level 8 Feb 24, 2018

A 1981 Chevy Citation.

Signing up to the National Broadband Network in Oz, NBN, is is pretty much compulsory and it is a complete disaster.

Buying into the American dream..

I bought a brand new custom made manufactured home for $80,000 cash. 5 years later everything broke and I sold it for $22,000. I should have bought the Corvette I wanted.

Fitbit. $150 bucks, it didn't keep accurate time by 30+ minutes, and it registered steps if you sat in a chair and moved your arm. It did nothing for me.

Beets. I could have just grabbed a bowl of dirt out the garden, added blue & red food coloring & called it a day. Waste of perfectly good salt, pepper & butter. To this day I wouldn't smack a dog in the ass with a plate full of beets (southern colloquialism for "it ain't worth a shyte" ).

That is exactly my feeling about beets. Why would anyone even consider eating them?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28637
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.