Agnostic.com

9 3

Does anything at all require the word god?

Why are there positions like deism, panentheism & pantheism when the word god has yet to be defined in a way that gives it objective, coherent, consistent merit?

What is the need for this word?

AMGT 8 Nov 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

goddam god forsaken fundamentalist

Aye. What, indeed. 😛

Godot Level 7 Nov 5, 2017

It comes in handy during an orgasm.

Ya know. I've been pondering this, too.
And it always seems to break down.
There's absolutely no merit to the term, "god."

The idea of a Judeo-Christian god (and I'm not gonna capitalize the word either... unless it's at the beginning of a sentence, I'm not a savage)... is centered around ALL-powerful and ALL-knowing as its most dateable characteristics.
So then, it's like, what do those things mean? We end up creating a semantics paradox. In order for us to prove this, we have to at least be all-knowing ourselves, but we can't begin to know what that means because its such an absolute term in such a finite reality. There's no real, palpable recourse for such absolute abstractions.
Then, people relegate to: maximum-power/knowledge. That's probably worse, because now we have some extra questions. What is the gap between ALL and Maximum? If you can't reverse the force gravity, but find ways around it with tractor beams, does it matter? Maybe.
It just becomes a menagerie of weed talk. Even if any being could some how prove it can do something like "reverse gravity," how do we know our understanding of natural phenomenon wasn't off to begin with.

Ultimately, when it comes to any being/beings /species/whatever claiming to be a "god," it would have to jump through flaming hoops skepticism to prove it to us; it would have to make me immortal to be there as the last star flickers out in the heat death of the universe and make me witness to the creation of a new reality as it snaps its fingers. But then I could just ask, "How do I know you didn't just hook up my brain to a machine like the one from Total Recall and this is all some big show? Or the Matrix? Or our world is a simulation? Or you can affect our universe as easily as we can rend the life of a spider - you just got bigger 'muscles.'" Fuck reasonable doubt, for when we work with absolutes, nothing is beyond reason, they become a slave to our skepticism. And... is that the life that any prospective god wants for itself? Would it go through all that to gain worshiper?
And, that's actually the more pertinent aspect to "godness." Not what it's capable of, but that it wants/needs/demands worship. That's the real implication when someone talks about a god. That's the more pragmatic difference between a god and, say, an alien with equal power. To that I say: Why do you deserve worship? And, make me, bitch. Well, I'll light a candle to any being that can make it rain chocolate and women, if that's what it took. That's all you gotta do, god(s), and paint my fence while you're at it.

Ahem, I got a little carried away... to answer your question - we don't need it. Can't let the theists have a inch.

The only time it slips out is in the bedroom.. the oh god.. oh shit oh jesus come alive.. 🙂

The new age movement did a great job by replacing the word "God" with the word "Universe", it expanded the oneself consciousnesses from e-motional to motional state, which cause sufficient shift in awareness allows new prologue to take place into the collective mind of the coming new era.

It would be hard to say, "Godamn it!" without the word "god".

Yeah, dammit!

😀

Just as with the word god, I am trying to think of just one good reason why you would need a god in your life. I can’t think of one real reason. God is not hope, just delusion.

“God is a concept by which we measure our pain.”
—John Lennon

To elaborate, I don't think there's a good definition of "god" or that it has much practical use, but I do think many believers feel it's a concept that explains the hardships and anguish they feel in life, like it makes it all worthwhile or meaningful.

Oooooo good quote!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2865
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.