Agnostic.com

16 24

I still miss Carl Sagan immensely after all these years. Thoughts of George Carlin gone still brings pain to my heart. He was a relief to all the madness. One brought me knowledge, the other brought me sanity to what I was witnessing all around me. Bill Burr served up some relief with his bit on religion. I was raised Catholic like he was. His description of letting it go like the players let a stone go in the game of curling was quite accurate...slowly and thoughtfully.

NintyNine 4 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He was very, very visionary man! Love him! He worked here at Cornell and his house still stands....We have a Sagan planetary walk here in Ithaca, you would like to see that!
[sciencenter.org]

I miss Dr. Carl Sagan immensely. Like Carl, I was also raised Catholic and even completed Holy Communion. I remember how even then when I had the chance to sit in the silence of the church, I sensed agitation within my cells. Slowly, very slowly, after watching the church gain more power, riches, and things, and not seeing it reflected in supporting the homeless, mental illness, children, and blood loss to war, I could not see the point to belonging to something that lacked empathy. Besides, the bible read like mythology and much less exciting than the Iliad or the Odyssey. Today, I am thankful for Dr. Tyson for carrying on the fight for science.

Just to say, in most a humble manner, Carl Sagan was raised by Jewish converted parents. Though they strongly encouraged him in his scientific studies as a child.

You ever listen to Bill Burr’s Monday Morning Podcast? Has a Thursday Afternoon just before Friday Monday Morning Podcast, too. Basically he puts out about 2.5 hours a week. He’s fresh, energetic, and real. Ok, yeah I think he’s a deist, but he talks more shit on the supernatural than not. It’s a decent show and mostly I can easily overlook any personal shortcomings that I may deem he has, and enjoy the fuck out of the show.

I miss them both as well. George Carlin was just a nononsense, in your face kinda guy. There were no gray areas for Carlin. He knew exactly what was what and he was great at sharing that with everyone in his own special way. Carl Sagan was just the best at putting complex ideas into terms laypeople like myself could understand. His movie "Contact" is still one of my all time favorites. It is so sad that he died shortly before it was finished. I remember him saying on the Tonight Show ... and there are billions and billions and billions ...I can still see his face when he said those things. A truly great man.

He invented the word ‘Google’, I think. He said it in his show ‘Cosmos’ and I can hear his voice saying “Googleplex’” just like you. Gone way too soon.

I would add Hitchens to that list but yes, I agree.

I only came to really know his work in recent years, but I admire him so very much I have his original Cosmos series on DVD (as well as DeGrasse Tyson's), and his book A Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark.

His patience and his gentleness and his poetical style is just brilliant. And while he is physically gone, I still feel a strong connection to him through his work.

One of my favorite quotes of Sagan's:

“A book is made from a tree. It is an assemblage of flat, flexible parts ( still called “leaves” ) imprinted with dark pigmented squiggles. One glance at it and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for thousands of years. Across the millennia, the author is speaking, clearly and silently, inside your head, directly to you. Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people, citizens of distant epochs, who never knew one another. Books break the shackles of time ? Proof that humans can work magic.” – Carl Sagan

Wow, thank you for that.

@NintyNine You are very welcome. I think that the only way to make this world more tolerable is to keep looking for guidance from others who've come before.

I tend to collect passages that help me on my journey through life.

Another one that I come back to all the time is from Catcher in the Rye. I read it as a teenager and once again a few years back.. This passage resonated with me deeply:

"Once you get past all the Mr. Vinsons, you’re going to start getting closer and closer – that is, if you want to, and if you look for it and wait for it – to the kind of information that will be very, very dear to your heart. Among other things, you’ll find that you’re not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You’re by no means alone on that score, you’ll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You’ll learn from them – if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It’s a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn’t education. It’s history. It’s poetry."

Of course i'll never know the authors of some of my most favorite words, but I'm eternally grateful to these wonderful humans that put these ideas to paper so that I may eventually stumble across them. Sometimes, it's so achingly beautiful to know I've not been alone in how I've struggled to make sense of it all.

Picking up the gauntlet for Master Sagan is Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist and completely "on the mark" scientist. Sadly Prophet George has no replacement. This man told the truth to people for over 50 years performing, making them laugh to hear the stupid truth about themselves, and what idiots they are.

Fryan Level 5 Feb 25, 2018

I loved George Carlin as well! I posted some of his quotes on FB and a lot of people did not like them. He put all this religious b.s. in its place the best imo.

Sean Carrol has a similar personality, imho. Sean's popularist work is a little more in-depth, and more specific than Carl's popularist work. Carl might be a little more poetic.
Anyway, Sean reminds me of Carl. His friendly optimistic nature, even when talking with opponents. Dept of knowledge and live for science.

JeffB Level 6 Feb 25, 2018

Thank you for your input, I have to take a look at Sean Carrol now.

I think that while there are many individuals who are rightly admired in the non religious and pro science communities, Carl Sagan might be the true "Saint". I'm aware of the irony of using the term, but in my view he's just in a class of his own. I never saw him act in a way that was patronising, condescending, arrogant or self important. His influence is immense. Greatly missed, as you said.

The only time I saw him being arrogant was when he was on a talk show having a debate with a government official over the nuclear arms race during the Reagan era. He was calm but clearly angry. He embarrassed the opponent in the debate with the speed and intensity of his argument. Now I have to look it up. lol

@NintyNine nothing wrong with angry, when it's deserved and focused on the issue, as I'm sure it was on this occasion.

I was privileged to see George Carlin perform the last year of his life. His edgy persona was amped up by a factor of 10 over his earlier work. I think he knew his time was short, but he didn't let on. He is truly missed.

JK666 Level 7 Feb 25, 2018

And Christopher Hitchens

Agreed.

You should check out Neil deGrasse Tyson's thoughts and videos. I don't know the backgrounds of other scientists (e.g. Lawrence Kraus, Bill Nye, Michio Kaku) in regards to their connection with Sagan.

But deGrasse Tyson has a cool story of him and Sagan when he was first applying to universities:

Try Jim Jeffries

Carlin...is timeless really! I can't about Sagan as I wasn't that much exposed to his work.

If you can get a hold of his series Cosmos, it is absolutely incredible. An incredible production that can teach and inspire any mental capacity. It also had this warm, soothing manner in its presentation, almost intoxicating.

Often when I need to explain something to someone eg 4 dimensional space, I pull up a Sagan video clip.

LOL. That's great. Love that profile pic.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28808
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.