Agnostic.com

36 5

How should Jediism be considered in terms of religion/spirituality?

For my claimed religion, my introduction to it started out as purely interest because of my love for the Star Wars movies. However, as I’ve looked into it, I’ve decided that it suits me better than the Christianity that I was raised on.
But it leaves me wondering, because we don’t have a named deity (unless you consider a personality-less energy called “the force” to be a name/deity), we don’t have majorly recognized holidays, we have a relatively small following; however, we do have creeds, rules and set morals. We also allow the mixing of other spiritual practices, and we encourage other Jedi to be open minded about spirituality.
So would we be atheists, agnostics, or theists?

ErnestoVG 3 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Perhaps more philosophy than religion?

It should be considered a made up fantasy version of admitting that religion is made up. Fantasy could very well be true (so agnostic), but why are you claiming a religion to get away from a religion? You would be considered theists for using a movie or set of movies as your god. you would not be considered Atheist because you are still conforming to a set of spiritual beliefs fed to you by a movie, which are probably christian if you were to dig deep enough or if not christian then they are probably derived from other religious texts. Jediism is more of a fan club, but I guess all religion could be considered fan clubs, but if that is your thing you are probably not an atheist, but you could be agnostic, christian, muslim, jewish, or spiritual and also be into jediism like everyone else.

As a joke when asked which religion I believe in after I tell them that I don't believe in god.

Edit: I chose Jedi as my religion 2 censuses ago. I chose "no religion" in the last one so that atheists could e counted accurately.

RE: The edit Ditto lol

I equate Jediism to Japanese Zen Buddhism - Buddhism - all schools - believe in Dharma/Dhamma - an force rather than a personal deity - Mahayana Buddhism - of which Zen is a sect - tends to being inclusive, open and egalitarian rather than the Abrahamic faiths that tend to be exclusive, closed and rigid.

All religions are made up from superstition,but at least star war movies the idea of advanced technologyie their space craft is a strong possibility for the futurebut the idea of a dark force or good force is in the same realm as superstition.

All religion is fabricated- including the 'new and improved' versions. I can never figure out why there is such joy in wasting time.

It's good that you're thinking about these things.
It's very disappointing that George Lucas never really tried to expand or define the Jedi more than as a plot device.
Philosophically speaking, the Jedi seem to resemble the Taoists more than Buddhist. I would place them in the same family as the Bushido, the philosophy of the Samurai.

It's just as real as any other religion, and I'll take Jedi over Jesus any day.

God mmmmm Resist we must. Leads that path to the dark side young ErnestoVG

Well, I characterize myself as a "Gray Jedi" (some Jedi / some Sith) ... But still seeking truth. I see a lot of Taoism and Zen reflected (as well as Naturalism) embodied within Jedi/Sith culture/tradition. I must admit your topic gave me a chuckle at first, but then really got me thinking. Which is always a good thing!

You believe that one bad deed forever sets you down the dark path and you can only be redeemed posthumously? Grim.

Ruzho Level 3 Feb 25, 2018

You mean Jedism is a thing? It is a movie character! If you want to speak in German syntax, be my guest but a cult? A movement? Sounds like it was invented by and for 13 year old boys.

But that would denigrate 13 year old boys.

@Diogenes Can't be done. They do it themselves.

Consistent. Ghosts and a poor kid from one end to the other. The individuals and who gets to learn it? Not so much. But then it is when the belief is strayed from that problems come up... Other than segregation of course. That's right in there.
Star Wars and many other films originated from Sand Dune. A group of books and movies that inspired much of science fiction today.

I wish I knew what the hell you were talking about.

@CapriKious I'm sorry it is only called 'Dune' The book written by Frank Herbert. It is the origin of 'the spice is the universe' as a spice from evil giant worm things on a sandy Dune planet. The spice was the only way to travel the universe. There is references to it within the original 3 Star wars.
“No my father didn’t fight in the clone wars, he was a navigator on a spice freighter,” is how Luke responds to Obi Wan’s off-camera assertion that Luke’s dad was a Jedi Knight and Galactic Army General.
In the book Dune, travel through hyperspace was only possible when alien beings consumed an hallucinogen that made them Clairvoyant-and presumably able to see through space-time. These aliens piloted the large Galactic Liners and were called Navigators and the Hallucinogen was a highly sought-after commodity commonly referred to as The Spice.
This is not the only films directly 'inspired' by Dune and it's movies. Which George Lucas worked on and 'read'.
[reddit.com]

@DragonDust Forgive me. I should not have said anything. I could not really care any less than I do.

@CapriKious Fair enough 😛 have an awesome day.

Made up shit of less value than most religions, as even the "believers" know that it's made up shit from a make believe film.

Slightly more honest though and more of a philosophy than a religion.

I am sorry, I have a hard time of thinking of it being anything other than full of shit.

Jedism is just the recognition that conciousness is a force of energy in the physical world. It is also a philosophy. I've. considered myself a jedi for 20 years and even put Jedi on any form that asks religion. But it has no god and doesn't have souls. Is there everlasting life of individuality, of the soul, In Jedism it is the wrong question. Individuality is an illusion, we are one entity. It is the only "so called" religion that claims nothing that science doesn't agree with. Unlike most where science is their enemy, Jedism has nothing to fear.

How does one measure consciousness or it's energy in the world? "recognized" forms of energy have measures and repeatable effects. I would like to know if you or this belief recognizes some unit of measure for this energy. I am guessing Midichlorians are right out?

@Fanburger Loosly based on the theory in the film, Not on the script. And read up on some Steven Pinker, Start with How the mind works. Ground breaking work, at the time.A thought is a transference of energy from one synapse to another. It can also be measured as an RF signal

@CapriKious Ever hear of an EEG. They know your dead when they can no longer read the energy that makes up conciousness. You see, to believe in a self seperate from the physical world, is to believe in religion, or magic.

@TheMiddleWay [en.wikipedia.org]

@Savage Indeed there is such a thing as EEG's and they measure electrical energy in the standard units. The claim was made that consciousness is a form of energy. My question remains despite your evasion. That you pretend that I have made any claims as to the separateness of a self another unsupported assertion.

I think there's just as much wiggle room for interpretation in the depictions of Jediism I've seen. I appreciate the ideas about balance, but I think it would wind up being just as bankrupt of a faith as Christianity in the end.

I have to wonder. What of balance? What is it, to be sought as a value?

I would argue that Balance is best expressed in egalitarianism and environmentalism: finding the points in society and nature where we do no harm and live freely from oppression.

You are way more advanced that other religions, with their so-called invisible man. The teachings of the force mirror in many ways the Buddhist and Hindu philosophies... do no harm, and when all this is over, the ONLY thing that will have mattered, is how we treated each other. Upon our short term visit here in corporeal form, a melding back into the "flow of the universe"... Most religions today pray to an invisible god and destroy a visible nature, never realizing that the visible nature they are destroying IS the invisible god they are praying to...carry on.

Fryan Level 5 Feb 25, 2018

It's just as fictional as all the others, so why not?

"May the Fourth" is your national annual holiday. Get it?

As some have mentioned, there's a lot of parallels between Jediism and Buddhism, et al. George Lucas was actually drawn to Eastern religions before writing Star Wars and incorporated those beliefs in the story: [beliefnet.com]

The Dude abides.

I, am an Internet ordained Jedi myself man haha 😀 😉 (seriously)

I agree with you about the "Force" being the most logical form of an "all encompassing Deity."

Whether it's "Good" or "Bad" or a duality, doesn't matter; what matters is that it, to me, IS the Universe itself.. and WE are IT also.

The path, or, Way, one chooses, is how we tune into whichever internal spiritual frequency to be a part of.

Digging over the last 20+ years, I've discovered that the "Tao" predates even Buddhism, and in many ways, IS the code of the Jedi.

I read and collect any translation I can get a hold of, and compare them side by side, to uncover the general feel for what Lao Tzu was trying to convey...

I recommend it (the Tao) to anyone who finds the path to the Jedi the most applicable in a religious sense. I feel 100% positive that George Lucas modeled is character for the Jedi after it.
The Tao.
The Way. 🙂

I love this website.
Take care.
May the Force be with you. 🙂

Since they are all made up, rank it any way you please

My first inclination is to say, "That's silly!". But it us no more silly than most religions.

A distraction but amusing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28813
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.