Agnostic.com

4 3

darn buddhists!!

So I go off full of confidence debating the buddhist monks over rebirth and karma. I am fully armed with responses and ass-kicking arguments based on a theory of universal consciousness. It explains EVERYTHING dammit ...

... except past life regression. I just can't explain that one. And there are too many confirmed instances to just poo poo it away. Not sure where to go from here. dammit.

JeffMesser 8 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The human mind is a house of mirrors. It is a reversible reality transducer. Just like a speaker can function as a microphone, the mind can not only take in imagery from reality, it can generate imagery as convincing as reality itself. This is why we created the scientific method to serve as our eyes. Its job is to filter out the many biases that the mind is virtually made of.

We are motivated reasoners. We are built to be disgusted at every level, both conscious and unconscious, at any schema that includes our total destruction. The mind will do any gymnastics necessary to avoid oblivion, including pretending not to object. It has served our survival well.

But it is a formidable obstacle to objectivity. When we consider an idea that looks on the surface to be supported by evidence, and incidentally just happens to include a potential get-out-of-death-free card, we should immediately consult our artificial eyes. If it has not passed the test of long-form science it is not only unnecessary but likely dangerous to include in a worldview.

Unnecessary because total peace of mind can be had without it, and dangerous because a faulty map can lead us onto ice too thin to support our weight.

skado Level 9 Feb 14, 2019

Beautifully stated.

Maybe it’s like this:

Our sense of self as a separate body is an illusion. We might share memories with a previous person, now dead, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we ARE that person. That person as a separate entity never really existed. Our common true self is Universal Consciousness, existing outside the realm of time and space, immortal and omnipresent.

Could past life regression be something like remote viewing where we might share memories or sensations with someone in a distant place?

Buddhist don't argue though.

uh yeah they do. they actually argued and debated quite a bit at the kopan monastery when I stayed there.

People have vivid imaginations that cloud reality. I have a recurring dream from my childhood that in reality I don't think ever really happened.....or did it and I have repressed the memory.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:288920
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.