Agnostic.com

9 2

This week I tried to motivate a coworker. I did a poor job of explaining that, as an Atheist, I still have things that give me hope in life. That just because I don't believe in an afterlife, or heaven and hell, doesn't mean my life has no happiness or wonder.
How would you explain this?

Elsantoasauro 5 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is the sad hurdle one has to make coming out of a set religion that endears an afterlife so that the there seems to be some long term goal and hope of the forever existence. Truth is happiness is in every moment if you chose it to be, or not and that’s a choice to. The ultimate goal in life I think is to live in your own personal heaven right where you stand. Choose to be happy, that’s reality.

Do you think discussing religion or any form of personal belief is appropriate in a workplace?

In absolutist terms, no. In the, not mentioned, context of my discussion, I believe it was ok.

Most radical right religions would be in a panic without a minute of their Jesus. They do not know how you live without him. Just as many would be in for a TV show re-make now called "Johnny Socco and his Giant Flying Jesus." That ought to keep the kiddies happy.

I agree with the sentiment @GipsyOfNewSpain and @Gwendolyn2018. My boundaries are not as strict, and the context was not them asking why I'm Atheist.

If you are happy they will noticed it and they may ask you how can you be without the lord but those that ask that question are the radical religious. To most co-workers they simply go about their biz. Appreciating you are not an unhappy co-worker. I was ask how come I didn't have a special woman in my life, how come I never remarried, what I did for fun. I used to work on a mostly female environment and to some I was their husband, their work husband, they spent more time with me that with their husbands really. My section was known as Hector's wives and when I left... it was known as Hector's widows and I am visiting Jacksonville next month and I will stop by to see them and a quick little lunch. But you can create good relationships even with radical religious. Show them you are happy and let them discuss that among themselves. You can take the approach they don't need to know you, unless you want to and only as much as you want them to. At the end I had them looking forward to read my poetry, to listen to my music, to hear my stories because I was something their husbands were not. It was fun to me. Make it be fun to you or you will hate go to work there and you don't want that plus they will win. You know?

I do love where I work, and my coworkers. I also like your approach! I will practice that more. Than you for sharing!

I had never tried to explain anything to a relative, friend, coworker, stranger, lover, spouse, child of mine. I set up Boundaries never to be crossed.

It's really difficult people who've always had religion to understand that you can make your own joy without relying on a diety to do it for you. In church they say "Let God's light fill you with joy." and "The power of God is present." when something good happens. In reality, these good things aren't manifested by their God, but rather themselves. And they amazing things found in nature can be amazing without a god having created them.

Dove Level 3 Feb 25, 2018

Maybe you explained it adequately. You may not have seen a 'light bulb' go off in the eyes of your co-worker. You may have gotten push back on your ideas. Ideas most offen, needs to percolate, need testing...not inserted in our brain, as in a computer. And...there is the possibility, your co-worker will come to a completely different truth in the end, anyway. Your/my job is to live and speak the truth as we know it. I am speaking a different truth than I did 20 years ago. Isn't that the nature of truth? Let it evolve...

When the person explained what they understood by what I said, it was nothing that I had even thought about, but could see how it could've been interpreted that way. When they finished explaining, I don't sense they were open to hear anything else I had to say.

I would say it's called living for now. As an atheist you have to make this life count and make your happiness a reality. We don't strive for something after life to make us happy or to find peace in.

Being an atheist gives me more reason to try to make this life, my only life, and the world we all share as close to paradise as possible.

JimG Level 8 Feb 25, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28974
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.