Agnostic.com

8 2

What's the best example you have of persuading someone?

If you have them, on the most extreme topics and with the most difficult subjects. How'd you do it?

Honestape 6 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I demonstrated a simple spoon-bending technique to a workmate, he was immediately convinced that I had the power to bend spoons with my mind. But the unintended consequence came after I told him it was just a trick. He refused to believe it, and nothing I could say would convince him that I was anything less than a true telekinetic marvel. As far as I know, he believes to this day I possess mysterious powers of mind.

Don’t hate me, but... the last several years of my sales career was as a car salesman.
The anxiety most people had (have) is being sold something... I never tried to sell a car.
I always offered to help someone buy a car. Think about it, the buyer walks into your store with the intention of buying a car... today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, eventually.
Old school car sales management would try to put someone in a car today, fearful that they would never see that person again. Management eventually allowed me to do it my way.
Show the customer courtesy, product knowledge, knowing that person will likely buy 10 or more cars in their lifetime, realize they know 10 people that will do much the same.
I never had to compromise my ethics in my years in “the biz”.

Tomas Level 7 Feb 25, 2018

I persauded a couple who practiced a certain faith that, if they didnt seek immediate medical attention for their child, that child would suffer irrevocable harm and deformity.

Turned my ex from a God-fearing, patriarchy-devoted, omnivore country-boy to a Radiohead-loving, feminist, vegan atheist. BOOM.

(He even likes some Bjork now.)

Gelding isn't always the answer!!!

@phxbillcee He wasn't gelded. He was delivered from a religious culture of total bullshit and habits that gave him chronic illnesses. If that's how you define masculinity, well, we're probably not a love match.

@Lysistrata No, probably not, as I was just kidding. Sorry to have offended you. I should have known better, considering the name.

@phxbillcee I wasn't offended. It's not like you know anything about me.

@phxbillcee How is it a joke to imply I castrated my ex?

Let me know when you find out. I generally bombard people with facts and statistics . My success rate is pretty dismal though. Maybe once in 200 conversations will I change someones mind.

I don't try. I don't care about what someone else believes. They better believe that I'm not gonna listen to much of that nonsense. Other than that I don't care. I try to respect others right to believe as they see fit just as I expect them to respect my right to believe as I wish.

Actually, I am working very hard at not trying to persuade anyone. It's a battle I lose too often, but I'm still working on it.

Totally depends on the topic & who you're trying to convince. On "rational" issues, "just the facts", if it's religion or belief systems the "Street Epistemology" approach I think is best overall. Sometimes, you'll be lucky to even plant a seed, depending on how entrenched someone is in their position. Good question, btw.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29076
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.