Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Christians are never going to give up their beliefs on instruction from anyone. So we need to engage them in a whole lot of reason, explanation and ask how it compares with what they have been told. It will be a slow progress but has to happen if we are to avoid further religious wars. People who say they want a 'safe place away from religion cannot be very secure in their own beliefs.

The few I've encountered here are often accurate representations of those who choose to proselytize (i.e., zero compelling arguments). The exceptionally annoying ones I just block.

But, it's a free country and they're welcome to express their ideas here, even if it's somewhat under false pretenses.

Is dissenting opinions not food for progress? We put a lot of effort into drawing lines and putting up fences to denote sides without recognizing that the lines and fences exist, creating a middle. I'm not here to be a "better" atheist. I'm here to communicate with like minds and make a few friends. Btw. we don't know who's who until they admit it, right?

I'm from Alabama where they say they had sushi for centuries but called it something else, "Bait".
So when I went with friends to a sushi restaurant the first time I was as nervous as a homophobe at a Pride event, but I tried it and now I eat sushi almost every chance I get.
Most American believers have some damned weird ideas about atheist and agnostics, ideas that can't be fixed without exposure.
We can handle the occasional bout of ignorance they inject into the conversation.
I think it's wonderful that they come.
Who knows, they might grow a bit.

I think it would be fun.

Since these believers of mystic non believable beings who are so omnipresence that they indiscriminately killed at will and never actually communicate, save them from themselves or disasters and let’s them support religious pimps that tell them they need more money so their god(s) will grant their prayers!!!

Sounds like they do not belong here especially since they have more propaganda sites spewing mystical everywhere with no proof that their god(s) even exist!!!

Why outside of spewing their pure shit why would they want to become one of us!!!

You can take horse(Christian) to water, you can not make then swin to the other side of the holy water bucket!!!

LOL!!!

Google is saturated with “christian” sites.
The christians have taken over the world already.
In congress and politics.....
Why can’t we keep our own safe place here?
Why should we share our one place?
It’s the one place that I can safely let it all hang out.
It will not longer be that way once they saturate the site. Although we already have several.
I thought that it was “our site” not theirs. So call me selfish if you would like.
A christian came in and posted something about how
abortion was wrong and that was very OFFENSIVE!!!
I’m not interested in educating or debating them on here.
In this case I am not open minded about them
invading our Super agnostic/atheist Planet. 🌎 🌈💚
It’s bad enough tons of our original members have
already left us😞😞. Now you want to repel the
members that are still here by adding christian
members?? Well you definitely are already repelling
me for sure.
We already are forced to coexist with believers.

Are they not satisfied over at christian mingle?

The reason(s) for believers who want to join this site may be as varied as the believers themselves. From a charitable point of view, I am mindful of the words of Bertrand Russell: " Religion belongs to the infancy of human reason."

The more the joy! If this platform would ever prohibit or discriminate anyone no matter the 'belief' then I'm out of here ! Agnosticism, Atheism, Freethinking,,, are nothing but an answer to a widely spread drug called religions and ideologies. It is unfortunately a necessity to distinguish yourself these days among/from the hurd(s). The problem is that most people with 'holy scriptures' and 'ideologies' (who they mostly know little about) are blinded by their own nonsense. They mostly tend to be 'open' to 'join and discuss' as long as they don't have the upper hand. Once they do have the upper hand they can't even stop themselves vandalizing anything else. And once they killed 'em' all they start killing each others! I would though advise any theist to read their own scriptures/gospels/nonsense well before engaging (at least with me) cause otherwise you'll only make a fool out of yourself and your own belief!

I think it is wise to recognize the possibility that those who label themselves as "believers" may be questioning their own faith. From my own experience no religion except Reform Judaism tolerates this skepticism. This forum provides an outlet for exploration they can't find elsewhere. Those who rant, reasserting their held beliefs are, sadly, trying to drown out the voices in their own heads beaten into them over the years. If we seek to hold them high ground then we need compassion. I have no problem with inclusiveness. Their rants also inform my own explorations: "Do I have this covered?". All religious denominations seek theological purity nd dismiss all others as heresy. We must be different.

As long as it's more of us than them. I don't want them taking over this group.

Why not? Healthy debate is the most important aspect of searching in the unknown, regardless of the topic.

We can debate elsewhere/everywhere. I’m not on this bleeping site to debate. I’m here to escape & have some peace. There is no peace when theists follow you around screaming & then fake sanity, while waiting for a reaction. & many believers feel it their duty to report. It’s a free country, but can’t there be a place here or there where it’s not a major question? They can believe if they wish to.

@KittensandSage Wow, you really are upset aren’t you! Many people are here for the cut and thrust of intellectual intercourse.

We know you won’t be there!

@Geoffrey51 “cut & thrust of —intercourse”. You’ve argued my point. By trolling. I came to this site to avoid people like yourself. Your comment is offensive, and brings to focus what I’m sick of. As an intellectual female whom you look down upon & harass, for expressing an opinion. Which you frame as “upset” (read irrational female) for not believing in a god. I rest my case. Not amused. And shunning is implicit, in your comment, come to think of it. “We know you won’t be there.” This is a troll, admin.

@KittensandSage ummmm! What are you talking about? Please report me for trolling if that will make you less annoyed.

Probably no point responding to any of my posts or comments going forward so perhaps you should block me.

Just for your edification see below

cut and thrust
/ˌkʌt ən ˈθrʌst/
phrase of cut
a lively and competitive atmosphere or environment.
"the cut and thrust of political debate"
a situation or sphere of activity regarded as carried out under adversarial conditions.
"the ruthless cut and thrust of the business world"
[google.com.au]

mental intercourse
the act of engaging in intelligent and interesting conversation.
[urbandictionary.com]

They can go to google for advice.

That's an interesting question. I was unaware believers couldn't join, and I see pros and cons to your question. The biggest con would be posts either trolling other members or trying to convert/save them. Good luck with that. There is at least one argument on the pro-side, and that's let them observe that we're not the evil satan worshippers they imagine us to be... AND some may be here because they have genuine questions and doubts that we can help them with. I guess, I'd come down on the side of letting them in, but having a very strict policy about removing them if they are not respectful of others beliefs or lack thereof.

I’m waiting for the one who says he’s/she’s here to do the lord’s work???

what kind of lard is that, Crisco ?

For most of this life I tried and failed at believing in a god, but was gifted with the desire to read, as I've grown older that hasn't changed. I'm on the last chapter of c.h. book gawd is not great for me a great read. I have a tendency to take a break for a day or two and read a different book, which right now is Jack london's autobio. john Barleycorn. It's also good and him i relate to more than I care to admit, wine,women, and song. when I finish that I plan to read the history of prohibition which i find interesting because the 18th admendment so far is the only one to be repealed. I do spend a lot of time by myself so i have tendency to talk to much or write more than needed so a little or of guildence would be helpful. when I have free time I'm a servant to my dog and 8 cats which means a chief cook and bottle washer. By the way not knowing anything about a subject has never stopped me from expressing an opinion on it. being a hoosier we sometimes think we know more than we really do.I hate getting old I get dumber by the day.

Since I'm new I really don't want to discuss Religion that's why I joined, Now that doesn't mean I won't I just prefer not too. My disclaimer so you know if some of ya'll believe that's okay if it works for you. then it's right for you. Don't push that off on me, it don't work for me. I'm a fan of Christopher Hitchens that may say it all. I desire others thoughts and opinions on being an Atheist and living this life without believing in a God.

Hitch said it all: gawds are not great.....claims without evidence can be dismissed without evidence....welcome to your peerage....quit capitalizing the gibberish sound gott... .and repudiate the false definition of Atheism....it means the negation of faith....putting an A in front of any word means the word is false... theism alleged gawds and miracles....we don't

If they join there are closer to the truth. so lets welcome it

I'm new to this. I found this conversation interesting. I'm agnostic and was looking for other free thinking people. My husband is Catholic. He asked about joining the site when I told him about it. After all, I sometimes go to church with him. He stops people dead in their tracks when they suggest I should join their church. He knows I wouldn't be comfortable with that and has my back that I'm just fine spiritually the way I am. He was curious to check out this group. I told him that I didn't think he'd be welcome sadly as people are using this as a way to get away from the judgement. He didn't know, before meeting me, that the secular world felt that way about Christians. That info made him reflect. I don't want to make the same mistakes towards the religious.

Tough love choices....rapist priests there and xian trolls here...make nice everyone

Better if religious people go to church. Let them separate from the intelligent ones.

zesty Level 7 Mar 1, 2019

Annoying...

Understated friend Ellida, religion is like a virus and we must strengthen our antibodies to resist infection....our Atheism is the bold compassionate rescue and protection of religious victims BEGINNING WITH OURSELVES shaking loose the hell threats and repudiating the heaven bribes post mortem

@GreenAtheist their venom is innocuous to me, friend Larry...they are just very annoying when they keep trying to find reason in fables and their ignorance is irritating to me, since it’s very hard to be this kind of ignorant on the 21st century, when evidence is everywhere. I love to come here and laugh, have some fun with jokes that are understood and accepted, without the fear of hurting any believer’s feelings. Let’s try to keep the house clean and the virulent people out...that’s my humble opinion.

@GreenAtheist we’re all religious victims in here, no need to remind you that they would hang you in a public place, or shoot you in the face if they could...there’s no compassion in that book, or tribe.

I'm not really good at tolerating other people's intolerance

I love a believer....one of the ways that defines our love is to avoid politics that defines my American Atheist leadership.....accordingly she is not curious about agnostic.com and would be instantly annoyed to say the least by frank candid Atheism here.....any believer here who does not instantly react to our total disagreements with faiths is hiding their agenda for their beliefs.....unless a believer is upfront and troubled about the absurdity and irrationality about their religion, agnostic DOT COM is hostile territory they are invading and spying upon us MINIMUM and likely to post snide remarks defining their complete lack of critical thinking that is the essence of Atheism and our fight for freedom FROM THEOCRACY which is their criminal agenda they bring into our community here

And that lasted only 45 days....belief is a cancer in the brain that blinds normal thoughts extraneous to functioning intimate family relationships....loving loyalties are bounded if not betrayed by beliefs of pure stupidity....eventually we Atheists are resented and feared when we love believers

I wouldn't mind if they were restricted to one group and couldn't dominate the agnostic fellowship on all of the other groups. Once in awhile I find it interesting to read alternative viewpoints (both political and religious) -- It's interesting to get a take on where they are coming from, but I doubt I would ever be convinced to change my own viewpoints.

Yesterday i reported the 2nd believer who contacted me. After looking at their comments and posts, I reported them. Both are gone now.

Good riddance to bad boys sexually harassing Atheist Feminist women....and their disgusting rapist priests tell them any crime is "forgiven" by their alleged crucified baby gawd who allegedly died for 33 hours one Palestinian weekend 29 bce

@GreenAtheist Wow, chill! What negativity! How do you know they were both Christian? No one hurt anyone. Just letting folks know that the web admins are doing their job. Now I feel bad for you Larry! I cannot imagine carrying around that kind of anger.

No! Let them go to church.

zesty Level 7 Feb 21, 2019

I believe that people who believe in magic should not get a seat at the grown up table .

Put them on meds to control their hallucinations

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.