Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mmm; I hear/read what you're stating, and hope/trust that not too many "vocal but not thoughtful" theists will over-post here; but.... Am fine with folks as long as they are civil and earnest in witnessing for what they believe in. In fact, am hopeful that religious individuals might learn from participating... even if they at times proselytize occasionally. Am happy to try proffering my views in return; hoping to sway believers to rationality.

I haven't noticed any theists on here! Gosh, I'm not sure what my reaction would be - come on guys!

NO NO NO. Believers will fill the page with arguments for their position. I've seen it on other atheist sites - endless, fruitless debates. I'm new here but am firm on this one!

I live in Texas. I'm tired of trying to explain atheism (which I why I tell them I'm Jewish) to them. We are likely to get the fundies challenging us, not the liberal Christians, who are usually fine with atheism.

Inteligent people of any persuasion should not be excluded.

lecoq Level 4 Dec 19, 2017

I'd not belong to this site if it had anyone other than a non believer. I've been preached to all my life and don't want to hear it anymore. Besides, what's the point. They believe what they believe and I'm trying to come to terms with being agnostic. Why would they help in any way. I want to feel comfortable. I have friends who believe and we never talk religion. IMHO

Fine with me as long as they don't crap on the rug while they're here.

We only want house-trained delusionals joining!

Welcome believers! They need to hear the truth, the facts, learn that most are realists, not believing myths and legends. We need to get the truth out there and work to do away with the BS of religion. Peace.

Maybe @admin could code in a block theist option, but I prefer an open community...and I enjoy arguing with them.

I hope many will join and be freed from the yoke of a religion they were brainwashed into believing. If, however they find more comfort in their beliefs, I wish them well with their imaginary friend

As long as they are civil, no problem. Jerks of any persuasion ruin conversation.

Personally, I think any believers who would want to join this site would most likely want to argue their "case". I don't need a "safe space" either, but I really don't want to be bombarded with "arguments" why my lack of delusional beliefs makes me "less than". I can get that just about anywhere. Was hoping to avoid it here.

They should be discouraged. Their motive for joining has got to be highly suspect.

I would be suspicious of their intellectual authenticity. Many religions have a virus function which compels them to infect everyone with their beliefs.

I don't think believers would find this helpful. Often, believers want to convert you to belief. Not all, but many think it's their mission in life. So, I say, no thanks.

Randy Level 2 Nov 29, 2017

It is absolutely ridiculous to allow "believers " to join. Surely their "god" gave them the first internet when he allegedly sent "tablets" down with messages for them.

I think it's ridiculous for them to join here. I don't go on christianmingle and try to convert them. I came here in part to get away from the ignorance of sheeple and to hopefully find someone with a similar life philosophy.

I hope this doesn't become common--I used to post extensively on Topix, but haven't for a while because of the toxic atmosphere caused mostly by Christian trolls. I'd leave here in a heartbeat for the same reason.

They are either trolls or they may be looking for a reason to walk away from their fairytale.

What somebody believes is not what offends me; it's how they treat people that matters. And you don't have to be a believer to be a jerk. Anyone can do it!

skado Level 9 Nov 26, 2017

It cannot be prevented but it can be controlled by the moderators. Taking the position of the devil's advocate is a way of broadening a discussion or debate but does not necessarily express the beliefs of the person taking that position. However, trolls are all over social media and they will find there way here, too.

So I hope the moderators who monitor the site are skilled in cutting off bots and identifying trolls. I will depend on them to identify those who have falsified their profiles or joined to drive divisive rhetoric and dogma with the intention of disrupting the intended purpose of the site.

I come here to get a break from a society that seems So Religious at times. Really don't need that here too.

What would be the point? I mean a drinker wouldn't go to an AA meeting? A bald headed man wouldn't go to a barber shop? Why would they join if not to just cause discord? Just my opinion.

Why would they want to? They want the conflict? To convert us? A non-believer fetish? I can't think of a valid reason for a believer to join a non-believer's community/dating website.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.