Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (351 - 375)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hard to keep out. If they start proselytizing, curb-stomp 'em (metaphorically speaking). Don't let them drive you away; defend your space. Honestly, I didn't know that the primary reason for this site was for dating, not that it's a problem!

If I don't like the drama BS, that is what the channel changer or my feet are for. There are more worthy things to masturbate to than getting into pissing match with jesus freaks.

I don't know. Wish i had a answer for you.

I don't really care as long as their arguments aren't vague. I grew up in a Pentecostal environment and it was always " Well, the bible says this" . Yes the bible that was written several thousand years ago, retranslated many times over by kings who wanted their own version, and left out books because they showed support for feminist views. To me if there was an all knowing God, he did an awful job delivering the message of salvation. Lots of versions and translations. Would a God that loved us so unconditionally, leave it so vague that wr would all burn in hell?

I'd like to know how other agnostics feel about my participation on this site. I think I believe a bit at times but I do not "know". Another user posted about the difference between believing 2+2=4 and believing that Jesus turned water into wine. I resonate with that.

Depends why they are here. I just read a comment by a "christian member" who has some great reasons to learn why the rest of us are here.

I feel that they should be able to join (maybe seeing reason in great quantities will change their outlook?). However, like an Atheist taking the pulpit in a church, they should be respectful and shouldn't try to incite a riot. Just let them be. If they start proselytizing or causing issues, toss the bastards out.

I think this site is a cool idea and a nice respite for me personally from the ideology bullies on FB. Old school message board. I miss those 🙂

I love debate but I will tend to be rude to those who will try to convert me. I am smart enough to know my own mind.

I would think most are here for trolling versus enlightenment. Hopefully it won’t be too much of a problem.

I don't care, as long as they are respectful I will be in return

Great question!

Like you I was hoping for a place to get away from believers for a while. But when I noticed that believers can join I thought that maybe this site could help some believers come to terms with their doubts. I agree that there is a risk of conversations getting out of control, but I think that's an acceptable risk.

As long as a majority of our member's are non-believers and everyone tries to stay respectful, I have no problem with it.

Don't want 'em unless they're looking to be turned; not the other way around. We're here to have a space where we're not infiltrated by religious nuts.

I suppose it's like anything. Everyone is welcome unless some aren't. I say let them in. Even though it's not the purpose of the site.

So long as they don't come here to troll or preach their religion to us, then I've no problem with it.

Brock Level 3 Oct 18, 2017

Why would a believer join an atheist site other than s(he) has doubts about their brainwashing from birth until now and their subsequent delusions.

Many religions instruct - even demand - that they witness to and attempt to convert to their religion. A website of "lost souls" to save could be quite enticing to some.

I know religious people and they are very deceptive about there feelings if they can find something to use against us. Also I know that many people want out of the religious community but are afraid of what could happen to their jobs,friends, social status.

The question is why would they want to?

If a deeply religious person wished to join, then there would likely be no way to actually prevent them, but I think it unlikely that they would expose themselves to potential persuasion or to the threat of their faith being undermined.

I wouldn't shut up anyone

As long as they're respectful of the beliefs of others, we should allow them their say. I think being agnostic (for me, anyway) it is being open minded enough to allow for people of other beliefs to join and have mature and respectful conversations.
The problem I run into is that they are seldom mature and respectful. You can't argue faith.

I think it holds the opportunity to opening up great conversations in an encouraging environment surely enough... however you have to watch for the trolls and the overly religious fanatics who cannot comprehend normal human conversation on differing beliefs... but it is ideal to allow those who are different from us agnostics and atheists to have a say... as long as it isn't too intrusive.

I can't stop someone from joining, if they become unrulely report him or give it back to them....is it prefered they don't join, well sure lol

I'm okay with it, as long as they keep out the hate. The best thing about this site, for me, is that I can post whatever I like about religion without sending notifications to real life religious friends or family who will respond negatively. The arguments don't really bother me.

That said, we've all been part of agnostic FB groups where routinely these jerks join just to post some hateful, ignorant meme and get out. My tolerance for that has gotten pretty low.

Yesterday i reported the 2nd believer who contacted me. After looking at their comments and posts, I reported them. Both are gone now.

Good riddance to bad boys sexually harassing Atheist Feminist women....and their disgusting rapist priests tell them any crime is "forgiven" by their alleged crucified baby gawd who allegedly died for 33 hours one Palestinian weekend 29 bce

@GreenAtheist Wow, chill! What negativity! How do you know they were both Christian? No one hurt anyone. Just letting folks know that the web admins are doing their job. Now I feel bad for you Larry! I cannot imagine carrying around that kind of anger.

I’m fine with it so long as they don’t start trouble.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.