Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (476 - 500)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know, some people on here were talking about mother nature being a God, sounds fairly ignorant to me. If people of other beliefs are joining we should just give them space, ignore them, or maybe listen to some of the things they have to say.

It's easy to tell the ones who are here to honestly know "how we think and how we got to this place" from the ones who are "on a mission to spread the gospel". I just joined, but if it turns into a place where even 40% of the dialogue becomes blasting other people for what they believe other than constructive arguments, no matter which side it comes from, I am outta here.

It's kind of annoying because they think somehow they are going to convert someone... the irony is they are more likely to wake up to a new reality than we are.

There may be some joining on a mission to save some souls. As long they don't drag the argument with same old tired formulas I don't mind their spying.

I don't think they would want an atheist at their sight or their bible class . I don't need to defend my beliefs however if their questioning their own beliefs and they could see other points of view I don't see any harm in that .

I don't believe, that being said I do respect those who do. As for believers belonging to this site I don't understand why would they want to belong other than to try to save those who don't believe. Hence please stay away.

sexual intercourse it. the more the merrier. things mostly happen because you-I-we let it or willed it.

If they are here to get a perspective... fine.

Ehhhhhhh, it doesn't really matter to me. Since this is a site that exercises the freedom to discuss religion, and our lack thereof, it makes sense that we should welcome the Religious, too. The rules of the site outlaw attacking someone for their opposing views, so a little preach now and then is nothing, as long as they don't get out of hand. But at the same time, they know what they're getting into, y'know, joining AGNOSTIC.COM. So i'm sure they'll behave themselves, lol.

Any followers of any religion should not be allowed to join or view members on the site. It not only negates the point of having this site but exposes us to their historically deadly judgment, making it unsafe for all of us. Absolutely no religious people of any sect!!

If they're looking to learn about different perspectives, then more power to them. But, I find in most secular-based communities when the devoted religious join it's to start arguments that they're certain they're going to win. It drums up a lot of temporary drama and just ends up reducing the thoughtfulness of arguments from both sides until everybody looks like an ass.

As long as it's more of us than them. I don't want them taking over this group.

If they join there are closer to the truth. so lets welcome it

Annoying...

Understated friend Ellida, religion is like a virus and we must strengthen our antibodies to resist infection....our Atheism is the bold compassionate rescue and protection of religious victims BEGINNING WITH OURSELVES shaking loose the hell threats and repudiating the heaven bribes post mortem

@GreenAtheist their venom is innocuous to me, friend Larry...they are just very annoying when they keep trying to find reason in fables and their ignorance is irritating to me, since it’s very hard to be this kind of ignorant on the 21st century, when evidence is everywhere. I love to come here and laugh, have some fun with jokes that are understood and accepted, without the fear of hurting any believer’s feelings. Let’s try to keep the house clean and the virulent people out...that’s my humble opinion.

@GreenAtheist we’re all religious victims in here, no need to remind you that they would hang you in a public place, or shoot you in the face if they could...there’s no compassion in that book, or tribe.

No! Let them go to church.

zesty Level 7 Feb 21, 2019

I believe that people who believe in magic should not get a seat at the grown up table .

Put them on meds to control their hallucinations

initially I though, who cares, but thinking about it a little more...no I am not in favor of it. Why would a believer join except to preach to us, speech I am not interested in hearing.

cava Level 7 Feb 16, 2019

If they are allowed to join, what is the point of this as a forum? Wouldn't it become exactly the same as any other corner of the Internet? Is the entirety of the rest of the Internet too small to have such discussions between theists and everyone else? Can't this be a place for everyone else NOT a theist?

"...and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome."

Ummm, we do not have Membership Police, nor should we!

This has been raised and discussed almost from the day the site started, so it's hardly new. That's the first point.

My view can be easily stated: I don't think believers should be banned from the site, but I wish they wouldn't join.

My only qualification is that I do think sometimes individuals join who are notionally believers but leaning towards secularism and away from religion, and this is a place where they can engage with non believers and explore their doubts anonymously. Not many like that, but some. I'm happy to encourage such people.

This is a place to enjoy, not to get annoyed and angry like the Senate or Congress. I don't want to un-convert any religious people and I don't want to be bothered by their arguments..

I agree I enjoy freethinkers and find faith offensive and criminal by theocrats who are forcing women to stay pregnant and kids being forced to prEy to the flag and burn biology books

I really don’t mind if they are here to simple meet Atheists and ask about Atheism. If they start preaching or trying to convert, we can simple block them.

Yes there is a genuine love between believers and us Scientific Atheists NOW if it's a woman loving me more power to her but ::::: zero males have any right to be here spewing their stupid gawd shit in any way.... all xian boys are enemies of our birthright FEMINISM...get the fuck out with your hell threats and alleged heaven bribes

Come on......they're worth a laugh surely

I feel nothing

Well, I would not talk to them, but they may have cool music in their library and maybe good recipes. If they can stand to be ignored completely, let them join.

I have to say let them come. I always respond to anything religious that I come across. I am a bastard of a man who will knock them down and kick their stupidity and their dogma while they are down! Bring it on. The only things I won't do is burn them at the stake,(for christians) or chop off their heads (for mo slums)! (Please shy wizard nutters, bring your buybull or other wholly (bullshit) books!)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.