Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (501 - 525)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Are you telling me that Ozzy wasted his time writing and singing god is dead for no reason then.... wtf break my non existent heart.

Agnostic
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.
I say, let them come.. The whole idea of agnosticism Agnosticism is the view that the existence of God, of the divine or the supernatural is unknown or unknowable. Everybody is wrong and yet everybody is right.. So what is wrong with a little debating and sharing thoughts and ideas.. Otherwise you are just preaching to the choir.. But then of course, without any differences in ideas and thoughts and beliefs, everybody can stay comfortable and content. Right.? And that sort of feels like a rutt to me.. Don't get me wrong.. I am huge anti religion.. But it is not from religion that I learn and grow, but from people..

As long as they can be civil, let them join.

So many responses to this...where ARE these ''believers?" Do they have a group here? I'd just remind them the name of the place and ask why they're here?

I'm here because I love playing in your playpen with you.

@rock9361 Have you come here to preach? Proselytize? Babble bible bibble? I'd like to think you might actually learn something.

Doesnt bother me. I'd just ignore them if they got preachy. No reason to argue with them.

I think maybe we should have jury system or something. If we started getting persistent trolls professing to try and convert us or something it could get quite obnoxious. A jury system with somewhat flexible rules would allow all view points to be discussed but could prevent certain religious crap from becoming a nuisance or worse.

I am more than willing to intelligently discuss any topic with anyone, including beliefs. If they start quoting scriptures from a book written by someone long dead, I quote scriptures from the holy BOBle.

When I was discussing this concept on a different thread, I was pretty addament that they shouldn't be here, but after stumbling onto lewellyn3's bio I've been rethinking it, and I have a new perspective that I'd like to share.
Some of us (the nons) I'll refer to them as "the lucky ones" have always been in the revered position of never having to waste even one moment on any religious bull shit.
The rest of us got here through various amounts of tough sledding, we've all got our stories. The point being someone/s and/or something/s happened that either started to loosen they're grasp on the dogma and let in a little bit of the light of reality, or helped us to get rid of it epiphany style. Without whatever that was, where would we be without it?
For some people coming on here and politely observing the comings and goings might be what works for them.
I got my epiphany on my own, but then I didn't know what to do with it. Lucky for me I found some atheist 2.0s (Hitchens Dawkins Harris etc.) and some marvelous atheist comics to help nurture my just sprouting atheist seed. And the rest, thank the universe, is history.
So, if they're respectful, and here to learn, and not to teach, then I say let em in. And if they have some other agenda, then kick em the hell off, and let them go with god wherever they what, as long as it's not here.

I welcome the ones who are here because they have actually read their book and are questioning what they've been taught. Many of us were there once.

everyone has a block button use it accordingly

I don't care, but I won't get out of my to make their life's easy. It depends on attitude.
I don't know of a real way to prevent them from joining except to have this site unfriendly to them. Admin has been swift to remove theist offenders in the past. If more join, their plate gets fuller.

I agree. I didn't join this site to argue with people of different beliefs. I don't believe in excluding people but if theists join they need to understand that this is not a forum for them to promote their beliefs.

Yin needs Yang. What good is a seesaw with one participant? Our values are meaningless without an opposing view. I welcome them if their conversations are respectful. Quote: "Keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer" Machiavelli. 😉

my values - mostly on ethical grounds - stand for themselves, without needing opposition. urghhh, macchiavelli, the believer in ruling by fear of punishment...

@walklightly We can pick lines of philosophy from most of the great works. We don't have to like who wrote them. 😉

Believers may be educated here; however, I so hope they do not try to educate us.

I think it’s a trap, tbh, just more people probably getting ready to “convert” us since we OBVIOUSLY never heard their pitch.

They matter not to me. I am so sick of having people 'God Bless Me' all the time I could lose it.!

@rossit0725 well, yeahhh but THEY think they’re special, Jeebus told em so.

Let everyone do them. Who ever wants to join... join. Just be mindful of all o hope. I don't push my ideas on to others to convince them of my way. If asked I tell. If interested, I explain more. If not I respect and ask that they respect me differences.

Let everyone do them. Who ever wants to join... join. Just be mindful of all o hope. I don't push my ideas on to others to convince them of my way. If asked I tell. If interested, I explain more. If not I respect and ask that they respect me differences.

Maybe gluten's for punishment?

In general I have no issue with any religious person.
I do take exception to the hubris and dishonesty of anyone that joins a group under false pretenses. I am not interested in debating things that are academic for most who would be here. I find the assumptions of too many of the "questions" offensive in the context of this site. I would prefer to engage in a dialog about what to do and make of Atheism/Agnosticism than any debate with someone's explicit, subjective ideas about gods and the morals they exceed in delivering to the credulous.

Yeah, I suspect that'd be a recipe for a lot of close minded meanness... might be best to keep that on fb...

Fuck 'em. If they want to join, fine. If they don't like what they hear, they can go away. If they post religious drivel, the admins can ban them. Simple.

if they came to learn...but no doubt they would come to argue

They should be free to join, but not if they are here to troll. I don't have a problem with that as it can spark debate and interesting conversations. We have had to do some form of study regarding religion to come to our conclusion, so maybe they feel they need to study the experience, opinions and life of non-believers to come to their own conclusions.

If they join for the purpose of prophesying, then no. They have plenty of other venues.

I don't mind them, as an agnostic I kinda believe as much as not believe. I'm actually quite interested in their views. I've always felt there's a possibility iof something out there, some kind of divine providence or first cause so yeah try and convince me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.