Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they come here to convert, proselytize, or push religious agenda upon the community then no. That's exactly what this community was designed to escape. The whole purpose, as I understand it, was to give the non-religious a place to discuss things, free of the imposed social pressure of a bunch of religious people clogging intellectual discourse and evidence-based reasoning with their religious anecdotes and unverifiable but irrefutable (to them) rhetoric as an attempt to use the intimidating and aggressive pressure of numbers and fervor to overwhelm the 'unbelievers.'

If they're here to learn, have intellectual discussions, and can keep their religious views to themselves or at least represent them respectfully then sure.

But on it's face, it's the first step on the slippery slope to becoming another Facebook, where every attempt at discourse is derailed by belligerent religious people in droves.

The only reason that a “believer” would join such a group is to Troll and be insulting. As an example would a Tea Party person join a Liberal group unless they planned to be disruptive? Same philosophy here, so I’m against it.

I go to church for two reasons: I love to sing and am a member of a kick-ass choir. We sing a lot of early music, which I love because it's challenging and beautiful. The other reason is that the folks there care about each other, and they care about me in a way that makes me feel like they "get" the Golden Rule (which is part of every religion). They don't care that I'm agnostic and I don't care that they believe. The priest is gay and gives good sermons that help me to remember how to love my neighbor better (this is helping me in what has turned out to be a very ugly divorce.) Whatever anyone on this site thinks/believes is fine with me. Just be kind.

So, it's not a Catholic church, presumably. It's nice you can find community with common interests.

I think you are very fortunate to have an open minded and caring fellowship. Did you read several months ago about the church somewhere out west where the the lady pastor told the congregation that she is an atheist? It was is a protestant church. The congregation likes her so much that they want to keep her anyway, but the governing body ( southern Baptist or something like it) says she can't stay. I don't know the outcome but you can Google and find it if interested. Really interesting to me.

@Condor5 It's an Episcopalian congregation, not that it matters.

@Grecio yes, I read that! She still preached even as an unbeliever! I'm sure there are more pastors who've preached many years, only to realize they no longer believe. The difference is they never told! To me, her actions showed a great devotion to her job and congregation, not her deceit.

One of my favorite composers is John Rutter, an Atheist who is composer in residence and conductor of Kings Choir College in UK. He writes the most beautiful sacred music compositions I've ever heard. Those works at times bring me to tears because of their exquisite beauty.

I don't like Rutter less because he's an Atheist; I love him MORE! I had the fortune to sing with him here and asked him once why he wrote Christian music when He didn't believe himself. He said he loved the people at Kings Choir, and is grateful for the way they've taken care of him and his family all these years. And when he lost his son, they were there for him through his depression and suicidal feelings. He said he considered these people who took him in and accepted him so easily his friends and family, "and so, I just write the music that makes them happy and comforts them." That is a truly noble human being to me.

@Lewellyn3 Our choir sings Rutter's music. It is truly sublime. I didn't know anything about his private life, and what you wrote makes me respect him even more.

I agree with you, Draco! I'm weary of theists and their babble. Keep them out, please.

Is there a test you have to pass before you are allowed on here? I seem to have missed it somehow.....

The first question we are all asked is a poor leading query: how certain are you there are zero alleged gawds ? My answer is 100% but many eqivocate brainwashed by the false xian Webster definition of the non-word gibberish gods UNdeserving of capitalization YHWH Jeehobah Jeebush Ghostholes are fictional names god is an irrational title

There is a capacity to block people but I have only used it twice I find on the whole that this is a respectful site and there are places where people can talk about semantics of atheism and agnosticism that you don't have to visit if you don't want to '

So if we are a NAZI or a KKK. but an atheist, and if we run around with ar15s we are acceptable because we are atheists.

I joined this group to get away from religious people.

welcome! me too.

I understand why some would want to allow the religious to join, maybe they can be tipped our way and all that. I also know that this is a place of community and refuge away from the "religious majority". They have plenty of places, christian mingle, thousands of churches, tons of air time (television and radio). I say leave us our little slice of "heaven"... : )

It FLOORS me how many religious stations are on DirecTV. I would seriously like to opt out of all of them -- as in not even see them. It's ridiculous.

I've known a few liberal theists that would be a great addition, but most theists aren't interested in learning from others or having an open dialogue, since the majority seem convinced that there is no truth outside their closed circle. I'm conflicted. If only the respectful few who aren't out to convert anyone to their set of beliefs and who know how to engage in a discussion without being overbearing were allowed to join, that would be great. We could all learn something. Openness, free exchange of differing viewpoints and all that. Unfortunately it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch, and in my experience, the bad apples vastly outnumber the good.

Wel, if anyone goes off, the Admin can just eject him/her, right?

@GoldenMean In theory, yes. In practice, they'd probably have to add more admins, it becomes a lot more work to police it. I suppose very strict rules of engagement could be promulgated and the ban-hammer wielded liberally, but it soon starts to involve things like detecting / swatting sock puppets when they try to come back under another handle, etc. I think it will make moderator's jobs harder, not just make it unpleasant for us.

City-data has very strict moderation, no cussing (oddly, crap is an okay word, but not shit, go figure) and prohibits proselytization in the atheism & agnosticism forum. TheThinkingAtheist is far more hands off, more user-regulated (sometimes not all that well). They have a very different feel.

One way C-D maintains civility and order is they don't tolerate much scientific debate for example on the atheism & agnosticism OR the religion and spirituality forums. So as soon as you get into some substantive debate involving evolution, you inevitably find the thread shut down as off-topic because you end up explaining / discussing the science. Over on the science forum you get shut down for religion talk. It's kind of stilted that way.

I have not been aware of any believers on this website. If there are, so? For myself, I will welcome anyone who has an affinity for open discussion. If anyone comments from archaic ideas, then I will choose to ignore. Maybe the reason they are here, if there are some believers on this site, stems from a curiosity about us. I say treat them with the charity of a good humanist. I think it would be misguided and counterproductive to "flame" them. If necessary report any infractions or "hate" to the administration.

I am a new member. It took me a while to actually sign up because I have joined "atheist" groups before to chat and meet new people only to have the groups trolled by "believers" and fake atheists who just ruin the community for everyone. I am also looking for a non-combative place to relax and enjoy the world around me and the people in it. I don't enjoy bashing anyone for their beliefs and I don't expect anyone to bash me. I was a little put off when the sign-up process included the 'spiritual' and 'religious' options but I decided to give it a chance.

I too am too old to argue. I have no patience for religious rhetoric. If someone is taking a tally; I vote no.

no thanks I live in a very religious often proseletysing wee town this is a nice getaway for me a breath of fresh air.

I would be skeptical of believers joining. What would their motivation be? Disrupt? Argue? Attempt to convert? I think we get enough of God botherers as it is.

Trolling. Trolling. Nothing but theist trolls. I just found this site and would abandon it very quickly if there was Christian, Muslim, theist trolls.

Well if they are joining to argue and start shit it just shows they have no life and is very aggravating however I encourage the ones who have questions and are curious as to how we've come to our current conclusions on the lack of a god

I find it interesting that you say "conclusions on the lack of a god". I am agnostic; and by agnostic I mean that I still believe and pray at times but I do not "know" that there is a God or many gods. I do not know there is a god like I know 2+2=4. I'm wondering if you or others would find that the word "atheist" would be more likely fitting to someone who has "concluded" that there is no god and that an "agnostic" would be more likely to not claim to know one way or the other.

I think it would attract trolls...

Conceptually, I'm in favour of permitting people of Faith into a place like this, if for no other reason than because I've found very little galvanises beliefs like respectful confrontation. While I do believe that at it core, skepticism, etc. is the way to live my life, I also recognise that many of the statements commonly touted by non-believers are poorly thought-out, poorly structured, or outright irrelevant. Respectful discourse can be one of the best tools for weeding out weak or ill-conceived arguments and beliefs, and as such, I welcome it wherever it might be.

I am also concerned by the common trend I've seen online for any area that is created for a collective who are joined by one common belief (or is co-opted by such a group) to become an echo-chamber where disagreement is met with open hostility or outright banning. I do not want this to become such a place, as, while I personally am of the belief that Faith is broadly counter-productive or even outright harmful to society, I am far more strongly opposed to divisive tribalism.

I haven't found any believers trolling this site. Its a nice relief and testament to the admins who obviously do a great job of keeping them out. Personally I don't mind the trolls as I have Facebooked for long enough to have a thick skin about anything that happens on the internet. Especially after living through the last election, fake news, et al,. a bit of trolling actually seems pretty amusing most of the time. Religious people who actually have real questions or want to express real doubts are always more than welcome in my opinion.

I have met many people that were religious that have legitimate questions and need to feel that there is a supporting community of people that have made the same journey before them. I support and welcome those people, no matter where their journey eventually ends. Hopefully anyone coming here to troll will quickly get kicked to the curb.

I'm brand new and the reason I joined is to avoid having to talk to theists! So I say, no, they should not be allowed to join.

Open-minded people listen to their critics. Inteligent disagreement should be welcomed, but how are trolls to be excluded?

They should be allowed to join, just not not to rant or preach. Those should be reported and banned. But it IS a site for agnostics. So take that as you will

I guess I'm not necessarily totally against it, but it does seem to kind of defeat the whole purpose of the site, no?

I agree with you 100%

tonia Level 5 Sep 26, 2017

I’m waiting for the one who says he’s/she’s here to do the lord’s work???

what kind of lard is that, Crisco ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.