Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What if, sometimes, the religious who come to boards like this one are not true believers but individuals who are uncertain themselves as to the iron-clad verity of their chosen superstition? Keep in mind too that most people don't choose their religion, but that it is imposed on them by family and the simple accident of geography. Some believers are simply not so sure as they’d like to pretend.
Years ago I frequented various religion chat rooms and message boards, and yes the places were rotten with my-way-or-the-highway types, full to bursting with their own unshakable confidence, but also there was a reasonable number of ostensible believers who found themselves on the fence and were struggling with the nagging notion that the pap they had been force-fed as toddlers might not be the last word. In anything.
People like that may frequent places non-believers hang out to listen and learn why other rational and intelligent people don’t believe in their mythology. I’ve seen it happen, believers throwing off the yoke of superstition and embracing freethought and rationalism. Certainly not a daily event, but it happens,

Another point, Christians respect nobody’s religion but their own, so whenever they whine about how they ‘need’ us to respect their religion, I find it helpful to remind them that they don’t respect anyone else’s...like that jackass who was killed by the tribe in the Indian Ocean... the only thing he deserves for his trouble is a Darwin award for exiting this world as an imitation-gold plated chump. Respecting other people’s beliefs is simply not in most Christian’s DNA.

I am trying to get away from them. it’s like being spyed upon. sucks. They keep trying to force women to serve.

Yours is a very interesting question so I will take the time to relate to you a recent experience on this site. I recommended a book, VACCINATION IS NOT IMMUNIZATION by a chiropractor who did extensive research, Dr Tim O'Shea. This book is full of data presenting a point of view that should be of interest regardless of which side of the coin one is on. Mind you,this site is supposed to be for free thinkers, most of whom are intellectuals. I received a lot of responses, With one exception, these responses were disturbing: insulting, calling me a criminal and finally one threatening my life. I came to the conclusion that recovering from the yoke of religion is a little more complicated than one would think. They were exchanging one messiah for another: the dictates of the propaganda machine of the establishment, in this case big Pharma. Otherwise they might have been interested in finding out what this researcher had to say on the subject with what they obviously did not have: an OPEN MIND. So I conclude that religion is a process imbedded in the very young. So to throw of this yoke one needs to undo this process one step at a time knowing that it will never be total. Let me tell you, my responders were not nice.

Most people simply pointed out that the author of the book you keep trying to on this site is a crackpot conspiracy theorist. You got incredibly nasty and insulting when anyone dared challenge the prophets (O'Shea and Wakefield) of your anti-vax religion.

#1004: Tim O'Shea

A.k.a. The Doctor Within

"Tim O’Shea might not be among the most famous altmed practitioners in the US, but he is surely one of the most consistently delusionally wrong"

[americanloons.blogspot.com]

I was originally concerned about the negative concerns about vaccinations but after seeing study after study confirming that they are extremely import and affective and the real danger of avoiding them. That is exactly what an "open mind" needs to make an informed decision.

Yes SCIENTISM is applied with the save bigoted hate filled zeal as is the hell threat and heaven bribe crowd.....I support you 100% ...vax by definition is a micro infection to build up a new immune response. ....some people especially elderly and youngest children must NOT be vaxxed due to a variety of co-factors. ....both my daughters were vaxxed. ...both are healthy now 43&24 yr o women but IN MY OWN FAMILY there was born and infant with the worst compromised immune system so much so he needs weekly injection of liver enzymes just to digest his food....my great nephew WOULD HAVE BECOME INDUCED AUTISTIC. ...had he been less symptomatic, he would've been routinely vaxxed then develop high fever jaundice forever altering his brain chemistry. ...he was born in a rare children's hospital that tests all newborns for this liver defect MOST HOSPITALS DO NOT DO THIS EXPENSIVE TEST thus blaming parents genes for induced autism. ...vax can be manufactured without preservatives at a very low shelf life to protect victims of vax profiteering quackery

I don't think those who are believers should be involved in this organization. They have an agenda. Those questioning could gain info and insight into how they truly feel. If they feel they are believers there is no reason for them to stay on.

I left an Alanon group, which had been actually very helpful, but for all their protestations about accepting me as a non-believer, it was clear that for them the only way to go was to believe in an anthropormophic higher power - and it was also clear that they would keep pushing that idea - should a believer want to join this group it would need to be made very clear that pushing their deity is unacceptable

believers are already here and some are trying to get my account deleted .... making nice with the hell threat and heave bribe crowd is a big mistake ADMINs.....I have not read a single believer posting they are asking for help to rid themselves of fearsome faiths.... being enabled here in faux tolerance is letting the rapist priests and two felony popes run free when every faith victim should be getting our help, not acquiesence with the perpetrators cover story of holiness

I have gone to NA and AA for 3 years now. The groups have helped me a lot. But I had already reached a point in my life where Their belief in a higher power didn't bother me at all. But neither group is push or preaching. I do know that some people left other groups because of pushing the god thing. I think it depends on where someone is at in their life.

I had this problem with adoption support groups for parents. I sought out other parents who had adopted and faith is just eye-ball DEEP in that community. Fortunately, I was more ignored than anything so I just stopped participating.

Why is it, that the religious never have to justify anything, it is only us who do? For them, acceptance is automatic. EXCEPT HERE. I've tried listening to their side, and found it wanting. I'll post about that another time. Those of us here, chose to be. Of that much I am sure. Now, if the religious choose to be here, by extension, they accept the 'rules', written or otherwise. If they come to argue or persuade or save, go away. I heard that already. If they come to learn, sure. Keep the BS to yourselves though, it's not going to be kindly met. Looking at a few of the comments should quickly remove any doubt about that. We have been persecuted and ridiculed no end... this is OUR forum. To speak freely, without judgment, or having to justify a damned thing. That's my take on it. I said a long time ago I won't attempt to take anyone's faith away, even if I could. They need to afford me the same respect.

I really don't want them here! This is the only place that we are free from all that garbage! My opinion!

totally with you!

I don't mind as long as they don't try to preach or convert. The moment they start proselytizing, admins should kick them out. If they can keep their religion in their pockets, let them enjoy some civil conversation and lively debates. I see no harm in inclusivity, provided they respect us and our disinterest in religion.

I think that would defeat the purpose of this group. I don't need to be confronted by bible-thumpers whenever I express an opinion and I already weeded my other social media of them, for the same reason.

I would hope they were hear to gain knowledge. If they start preaching or condemning us I would have a problem but I’d just move on and continue with my life.

antman Level 7 July 17, 2018

No trolls please.

ronmon Level 3 June 27, 2018

Absolutely not. I live in the South right in the middle of the Bible Belt. Tired of fielding those conversations.

LouLou Level 4 June 26, 2018

Religion here in Atheistland IS TROLLING

Hallelujah lmao

Hard to take a walk without running into a church there. . even in dense forest/swamp. More churches than gas stations...on every corner.

One of the tenets of this group seems to be the openness to multiple ideas about the world.. religion and their acolytes can have their say in my world as long as they listen as much as they speak...

blzjz Level 7 Apr 28, 2018

A noble sentiment, but....when was the last time you’ve known a theist to listen to anything but their own white noise?

@Azatheist I would be sure to lose my patience in a one way argument but I can always turn them off here when I get bored...

@blzjz good point.

THE USA welcomes all religions, belief systems, and races.

@okiestache I am a protector of humanity. That is all that is required. I will try to save the human race, not only humans that believe a certain way or are a certain color. Whether you realize it or not, due to the climate change and pollution of the planet, humans are an endangered species.

@okiestache the group religion and spirituality is used by atheists to torment anyone who is not atheist. I quit that group because of what goes on in there. Spirituality means you believe in a higher power. That is NOT atheist. Religion means you believe dogmatically in that fake man in the sky. Why would atheists have a room like that, and have agnostics.com as the name of their community. Agnostics just aren't sure there is or isn't a god. I have looked up the definitions so I knew.

As long as they can be respectful, I say yes. This place should be safe for people like me who rarely, if ever, get to speak out about their beliefs for fear of threats and social punishments. We should be respectful towards them, as well.

I agree to some extent. Everything seems saturated by religious overtones these days and it is nice to find a place where one can escape from it for awhile. On the other hand, it may be that there are those who come here with doubts of their own. I give them credit for seeking opinions/information that is not just another validation of their own belief system. I’m trying to be generous here. Other times, I get annoyed by it.

I agree. I don't want to be preached out by anyone about anything. Just discuss and learn.

Agree Draco. I'm looking for a sanctuary (cough cough) away from religious bs. I view believers mainly entering as trolls. Let them debate it elsewhere please.

In theory, I welcome diversity of opinions and challenges to my way of thinking. However, in my experience, most religious people neither argue rationally nor honestly. The lack of honesty bothers me more than the lack of reason.

there is diversity of opinions here! Being a skeptic I don't know how one can be an atheist and believe in the zodiac but it happens. There are people here who still believe in reiki or crystals or any number of things which have no scientific basis. I can't figure them out. Maybe you can.

@MsDemeanour Good point. I think that many people have a deep-seated need to believe in something, almost anything, to give their lives meaning and structure. Just because you have freed yourself from one superstition doesn't necessarily mean you have freed yourself from all superstitions. The history of Communist USSR shows that while they preached atheism, on one hand, they practically make a religion of the State on the other hand. It is not unknown for some societies to make a demigod out of their political leader such as in North Korea. Some people who swear they are not superstitious, nevertheless have a lucky shirt or pair of shoes they wear for sports. In fact, sports players are often notorious for their superstitious practices even though it may be in direct conflict with their professed religion. This deep-seated need was famously explored by Victor Frankl in his book, "Man's Search for Meaning" back in 1946.

Why would they want to even ?

Mostly because they think "you are angry with god" and they want to save you.

I don't want them on here. This is our private club house. Like the old treehouse sign "no girls allowed" I don't want believers in our clubhouse. We have to listen to them enough outside our club. Get out and go away buttinski.

absolutely 😀

agree 100%

i am all for PEACEFUL LIFE WITHOUT RELIGION. i am interested in raising my mental & spiritual energy in a friendly self-inquiry with fellow freethinkers. i am absolutely opposed to deal with illogical arguments, posed by theists.

Overtly religious people make my skin crawl anymore after the direction politics has gone in this country this last year. I don't come here to feel bad.

They're kinda like the herpes, if you ignore them they won't go away completely, and they'll show up at just the wrong time to be annoying and unwanted.

Oh hell No..

yes, agreed!

I was startled to come across a "believer" on this site. Are there lots of them? Why are they here? To discuss science? I am suspicious of their motives. I have never met a believer who was truly respectful of my atheism.

You have lived a very sheltered life then. I know lots of 'believers' in something, even if it is energy who could care less what I think and never force it on anyone. There are about 10 degrees of theists, most of which are so relaxed they don't follow what the church demands, then you have the rabid, really scary types... whom you simply side-step as you can generally see them coming. Most Catholics could care less about anything religious and just want answers to everything else. Most people now days are simply 'metaphysical' and do not believe in a 'god' per se', but something they cannot understand fully - they are mostly agnostic, yet may still 'claim' to be a believer. The percentage of red-neck cultish zealots is as small as Trump's following of rag tag believers that he is their new messiah character who will make America great again. Most people in this country will 'claim' to be a Christian, yet nary a 10th of them gives a rats ass about practicing it. Word to the wise.

You have lived a very sheltered life then. I know lots of 'believers' in something, even if it is energy who could care less what I think and never force it on anyone. There are about 10 degrees of theists, most of which are so relaxed they don't follow what the church demands, then you have the rabid, really scary types... whom you simply side-step as you can generally see them coming and they are almost ALWAYS - THE BAPTISTS!!! Most Catholics could care less about anything religious and just want answers to everything else. Most people now days are simply 'metaphysical' and do not believe in a 'god' per se', but something they cannot understand fully - they are mostly agnostic, yet may still 'claim' to be a believer. The percentage of red-neck cultish zealots is as small as Trump's following of rag tag believers that he is their new messiah character who will make America great again. Most people in this country will 'claim' to be a Christian, yet nary a 10th of them gives a rats ass about practicing it. Word to the wise.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.