Agnostic.com

37 2

Star Wars or Star Trek?

Which do you prefer, no fence sitting 🙂

• 19 votes
  • 49 votes
ipdg77 8 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Different genres so not really a good comparison. Star Wars is space opera, Star Trek is science fiction. Star Wars is among the best of the best when it comes to space opera, but it's not really a genre that I enjoy.

Star Trek all the way. I love the optimistic outlook for the future.

To me the names say it all: Trek or Wars

marga Level 7 Feb 25, 2018

Star Wars is spiritual commentary. Star Trek is political commentary. I guess it depends on my mood.

False dichotomy. Both!

Exactly!!!!

Wouldn't it be a false dichotomy only if you choose "Battlestar Galactica?"

Star Trek. Jean Luc Picard is the greatest ever.

No, Q was the greatest ever. He's my hero. 🙂

I like Star Trek because it is more science than fantasy. There are a couple plot devices that don't pass the smell test (the transporter, for example) but overall at least it is science-based. Star Trek also has so much content over several decades and series. The Star Trek universe is very well developed. The Star War universe is pretty thin of content (just how many times do you rebuild the Death Star before you get the fatal design flaws out?). Star Trek solves problems - they cure diseases, they rush to save planets from environmental disaster or plague. Star Trek - they fought the Borg! Star Wars - they fight the Empire, which makes crappy weapons and gets defeated by Ewoks (Teddy Bears with teeth and bolas.)

I am saying Star wars only because I love Yoda 🙂 So wise

Sacha Level 7 Feb 25, 2018

Gotta go with Trek..it was the most realistic of them.

Love both, TBH. Wars tends to be more focused on one topic or niche of topics while Trek delved into a wider range of situations and issues.

Zster Level 8 Feb 25, 2018

Too much religion "force" in star wars...and not thought provoking like Trek.

Someone said false dichotomy. False comparison might be how I would see it. SW is space opera and space fiction. Like us but not us in another galaxy. ST is science fiction, an idealised better more evolved version of us engaging in space exploration in a future many of would like to see, a least something like that.

When I want space opera to help me escape, I take the force.
When I want to indulge in a fiction of a brighter tomorrow of us in space, then beam me up (Scotty).

BTW don't you think it's strange that we say Star this and Star that? The wars in SW are between planets, not stars. It's Planet Wars. Captain Kirk and co are not trekking to stars, but to planets. It's a Planet Trek.
I guess it's just cooler to say Star --- 🙂

yeah star trek,
but for excitement and interest , Stargate.

Went on the Star Trek Cruise in January and it was the best vacation ever. Can’t wait for next year!

One is very well written...Trek!.....The other is nothing but SOS with different characters in a different universe doing the same old movie crapola....Wars!.

No comparison, one is Art and the other is Commerce

twill Level 7 Feb 25, 2018

You really don't think it got monotonous during the war with the Dominion?

@ElizabethI What? Which? Star Trek? Hell, I was talking about the TV show! Have I cheated?

@twill That was mostly in Star Trek: Deep Space 9, but was also brought up a few times in Star Trek: Voyager. These were both television series.

[en.wikipedia.org]

[trekbbs.com]

@ElizabethI I meant the original 1960's Series

@twill Ah, okay. Star Trek TOS was great for its day. Going back to look at it now with the different view of how women are regarded today, some of it is kind of cringe-worthy. Spock was my favorite character of any of the Star Trek universe characters though.

Now the REALLY hard questions come out. Two stories, both alike in excellence, In fair internet, where we lay our scene, From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.

I love most movies with "Star" in the title.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 25, 2018

Long live the Empire.

Neither. Both boring!

Jnei Level 8 Feb 25, 2018

neither for me too

love the Klimt

@btroje Can't go wrong with Klimt 🙂 I was going to switch to one of his the other day, but all his work is so phenomenally good I couldn't decide which one to use!

@Jnei @btroje. Heretics! 🙂

Star Wars for sure! In my opinion, Star Trek is cool but nothing can compare to Star Wars.

Monad Level 4 Apr 3, 2018

I saw this movie years ago, and it was genius.

Star Wars - Buddhism with muppets

I think most people here prefer Star Trek over Star Wars, because ti depicts a future which seems more appealing as a place to live. It's a more positive vision of the future.

I did not like the added movies under the Star Wars name. I love both versions or Star Trek.

I may be the only one here who never saw any of the Star Wars movies...there..I told the world.

SW reused the same plot so many times, they should be arrested. It is insulting.

Star Trek is fiction based in science and Star Wars is fiction based in magic masquerading as science, as an atheist the choice is clear. If I want fantasy I'll watch Game of Thrones if I want to see fantasy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29105
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.