Agnostic.com

36 4

Which religion in your opinion is the worst? Islam or Christianity?

I think both are just as equally as bad as the other.

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The abrahamaaic religions are all just sects of the same religion, and they are all equally drenched in blood and misogyny.

Yes.

@Sarahroo29 Or as some have pointed out, Christianity is a Jewish heresy, Islam is a Christian heresy. Although true believers of any can take great umbrage at this characterization.

Islam is like Christianity except its still in its adolescence. Look at Christendom around the 1400-1500s. That`s where Islam is now.

Yes. It will get worse I bet.

@Gwendolyn2018 I would submit that if there is a golden age for Christianity it budded in the Renaissance and blossomed in the Industrial Age. I admit that it is fraught with flaws but from Newton to Darwin to Crick a lot of ground has been covered.

@Gwendolyn2018 To a large extent Christianity has been a victim of its own success. The sunday schools that were initiated by Methodists in the 19th cent. were just that, schools where the poor children could receive a basic education. This emancipation has led to a level of knowledge that made them redundant.
I still stand by my original post. The similarities between Islam now and Christianity in the 14 & 1500`s a striking. Not only it its age but in its behavior. Factional wars fought over differences in dogma, fatwas & excommunications etc. The very word " fanatic " stems from the inquisition.

that's a tie as far as I'm concerned

Yep.

In this century, Islam hands down,
thousand years ago, I would have said Christianity.

Probably. I think you're right.

Basically they are both the same.Same book just different histories.

Yes.

All of the fundamentalist religions are awful. The non-fundamentalist versions of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are silly but generally innocuous.

Agreed.

Horrible- both of them. All about subjugation of women, and freaky control, control, control.

Yes, control. It's one of the worst parts of religion.

All of them..

Yes. I think so too.

If you read the books, Christianity is worse. If you look how they're behaving on the global stage at this very moment, Islam is worse.

Both are horrible enough it matters little.

Okay.

All religion is intellectual poison. There's no such thing as a good religion.

I concur.

Before Muhammad , I would have said Christianity , but if you look at the world today Islam wins hands down .

Hmmm... I think you're right.

@Sarahroo29 In the world today it's Christian countries waging endless war on Islamic countries ... not vice versa. Been that way for a century, so how does this make Islam the worst?

@Druvius They are killing Xians.

@Sarahroo29 For every Christian they kill, Christians have killed dozens or hundreds of Muslims. The enormity of the crimes waged by Christian nations against Muslim nations since 9/11 is frightening. And Muslims have formed human shields around Christian churches in Egypt to protect them from the extremists. My point basically is when you're talking about faiths with hundreds of millions of adherants making broad generalizations is unsupported, especially since there's no shortage of horror to go around among them.

Both horses have jaundice. As do their kin.

Yes.

I'd have to say Christianity here in the west as it affects far more people than Islam but it was no easy choice

Yeah.

Probably Islam given how volatile it is. Christianity is pretty terrible in its own right, but it has had a lot of time to be de-fanged and become more benign that it was in the past. Now even after all this time, Christianity still has a lot of problems, but religion is still fundamentally toxic.

Islam never really had its enlightenment or anything in that regards, it still has a lot of social progress to catch up on to be on par with most of the modern world. When the crazier denominations still hold the most power, it's always gonna worse off.

I concur.

Both suck, but Christianity has a more direct and negative impact on my life.

What is really interesting is to look at the history of Islam. They are where all the math, astronomy, they named the stars. Almost to bad their civilization failed.

I was raised in an Xian home.

I think they're both terrible.

Me too.

Both have had their share of murderous campaigns in the name of someone’s holy proclamation.

Yes.

Agreed.

No difference, same meat different gravy.

Yep.

Worst? Define worst. They're both belief systems.

Google the word, "worst" and then worst will be defined. I'm too tired to type the definition out rn.

Christianity. In my lifetime of experiences, they've been tje worse at lying, cheating..actually all of their "deadly sins"... Maybe it's because their " God" will forgive them... I have many Islamic friends and find them to be very loyal, honest, forthright, and giving of themselves.

Nice.

You only gave two. I agree they're two biggies but might I offer another? I would submit the cult of personality. Within the 20th century there has been a huge pile of bodies burned on the sacrificial fire of ideology. I am referring to the unholy trinity of Hitler, Stalin and Mao. To me, the substitution of state-ism for religion is mere semantics.

Well said

I don't think either is bad, I think that just like atheism there are good and bad people

Okay.

At the moment I put Christianity as worse. The "fanatical" are so hyperfixated on demonizing all who don't do exactly as they do, they become worse than the things they are obsessed over ie; Sharia law....or those 2 Mom's in AZ teaching their kids religious hatred. Then there is the abhorrent behavior of abusing spouses and children while simultaneously demonizing GLBT and single parent households

Teddi Level 2 Mar 16, 2018

U mean worse not worst given a mere 2 choices, I think

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29169
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.