Agnostic.com

10 9

LINK Plummeting insect numbers 'threaten collapse of nature' | Environment | The Guardian

FTA: The analysis, published in the journal Biological Conservation, says intensive agriculture is the main driver of the declines, particularly the heavy use of pesticides. Urbanisation and climate change are also significant factors.

“If insect species losses cannot be halted, this will have catastrophic consequences for both the planet’s ecosystems and for the survival of mankind,”

zblaze 7 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I saw that too. I'm so glad I didn't have kids because it's obvious we aren't going to get our environmental house in order. And the people with the money to possibly address or insist that governments address this are spending it on the fantasy of moving to other planets.

To add into this we are very close to modifying mosquitos to help reduce the diseases they spread.
Scary...

Years ago I saw bats fly around an outdoor light at night time because they are eating the bugs that the lights attract. These days if you are out at night and look at those lights you don't see the bugs or the bats. Something is wrong.

Yes, stop using insecticide.

I used to collect all kinds of caterpillars and such at my great grandmother's farm in rural IN. Years later, my husband and I purchased our first home two miles down the road from that farm. I eagerly walked the roadside and creek banks nearby, seeking Monarch caterpillars and those of giant silk moths. I brought them inside on the necessary vegetation to feed them out and to guard the pupae until emergence time. ALL of them tried to pupate way too early and died. Such was the effect the insecticides used on the fields was having on unintended neighboring species.

We're killing pretty much everything in that area and no one cares.

Zster Level 8 Feb 18, 2019

All people everywhere need to cease and desist with spraying pesticides and herbicides.....it's time to STOP with the stupid yards and embrace native permaculture!

When I was a kid in primary school we had an annual competition collecting and naming wildflowers ( sounds a bit soppy now but we were innocent young things). I could collect a large proportion by just walking through a barley or cornfield. Nowadays there is not one weed or wildflower to be seen.Selective weedkillers have gradually removed the lot. Not good for insects including bees.

The trump EPA OKs 'Emergency' to Dump Bee-Killing Pesticide on 16 Million Acres. This is the fourth time trump's EPA has done this in an effort to subvert U.S.Law.
"Spraying 16 million acres of bee-attractive crops with a bee-killing pesticide in a time of global insect decline is beyond the pale, even for the Trump administration," said Nathan Donley, a senior scientist with the Center for Biological Diversity. "The EPA is routinely misusing the 'emergency' process to get sulfoxaflor approved because it's too toxic to make it through normal pesticide reviews."
That widespread abuse was chronicled in the Center for Biological Diversity's recent report, Poisonous Process: How the EPA's Chronic Misuse of 'Emergency' Pesticide Exemptions Increases Risks to Wildlife.

In a country where people with sense were the majority, this alone would qualify Trumpy - and his entire administration for impeachment. The stupid it burns.

We are going to get exactly what we deserve.

Hey, I hear what you're saying
Hey, I hear what he's saying
If you're after getting the honey, hey
Then you don't go killing all the bees

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:292774
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.