Agnostic.com

18 2

How do you cope with the possibility of the lack of an afterlife?

Oh yeah, starting off strong.

Ploshnick 3 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Gotta tell ya, almost never even crosses my mind. How did you cope with not existing before you were born? I'll probably do more of that.

What is the possibility of Superman existing...... Now that is a small feat in comparison with an almighty god.

"We do not yet know what we will become"

I have no memories, thoughts, or feelings prior to my birth: and think that those who do may be a bit off. I expect nothing after my death. I live for my life.

Life, more abundantly? 🙂

I view it as the best sleep you'll ever get.

When I try to conceive of a never-ending afterlife, it makes sense at all. We are finite beings, both spatially and temporally. As we evolved and developed a memory and consciousness, It seems to me that we would naturally incorporate any feature that would promote survival. Hence, a fear of death, a trait shared by other animals. With our greatly developed capacity to envision concepts outside of reality, some of us “solved” the innate fear of death by creating an afterlife. Not all religions hold this concept. For me, the only thing scarier than dying would be living forever!

The only thing that comes after life is death... So your question is actually, how do you deal with death... Buy life insurance...

Why worry? From our perspective right now it really makes zero difference.

I find it reassuring compared with the option of an afterlife. Going on indefinitely would be bad enough, but having to deal with all the people from your past again, no thanks.

I have never believed in god or an afterlife. This is normality for me....so nothing to cope with. Just enjoy this one life you have every day as much as you can. Reach out to others and show as much love to them as you can, taking pleasure in their company and in the wonders of the countryside and nature. You are young, I note, so my advice is just to not worry about what happens at the end, but get on with living the best life you can, you have it all stretching out before you.

It's easy to cope with something I don't believe in - live the life I have as best I can.

"I'll tell you a secret, something they don't teach you in your temple. The gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed." Brad Pitt in the movie Troy.

It is not something that will change, something that anyone can change, I do not say there is or that there is not, I hardly bother to think about it, because, it is a waste of time. If you spend you time worrying about it, it profits you not at all.

THHA Level 7 Feb 20, 2019

There was nothing to cope with once I got over myself and my pointless need to be immortal. It's basically a matter of not refusing to enjoy life because it's finite.

It doesn't bother me in the least. You live, and then you die. And after you die, you don't know that you're dead, so there's nothing to worry about.

Just accept the truth and not be influenced by a fairy tale.

It is such a relief to know the truth, and to realize the real value of my short life.

Why need to cope. The end comes and body goes back as food for the Earth. Sounds like a goid trade off to me.

I live the best life I can while I’m here. It’s all I know for sure that I have.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:293818
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.