Agnostic.com

2 0

LINK Why did an ancient Egyptian king erase all gods but Aten? | Aeon Essays

FTA: The main reason I reject the theory of one religion impacting the other is that each one is based on its own theophany. The Lord God appeared to Moses at the burning bush in Sinai and revealed his name, Yahweh, according to Exodus. Akhenaten had his own divine encounter that gave rise to Atenism. Put another way, both religions stand on their own distinctive revelations.

zblaze 7 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I dunno. I thought it sounded reasonable to understand the situation of Hebrews and Egyptians living together in Egypt as the basis for some shared history. The commonalities, Moses being ethnically Hebrew and culturally Egyptian, the one true god, circumcision and the significance of the colour blue might indicate one came for the other.The last two, I accept, might have been shared across a huge number of cultures.The Hebrew exodus might have been the flight from Egypt (but not necessarily as the Bible writers tell it) after the priests rebelled in Egypt and went back to their old gods.

This is the Amarna heresy there are countless books on it and the reason it failed was that Akhenaten almost bankrupted the country in building his new capital city Akhetaten.
This lead to a conspiracy of the deposed priests and the civil service to overthrow him in favour of one of his wives (possibly Nefertiti) who took the name Smenkhkare, in order to restore stability and cease the building of the folly.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:295203
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.