Agnostic.com

9 9

When Christians Were Atheists

Early Christians were atheists! At least, that’s how some people of the time viewed them in the earliest centuries, and it’s not difficult to see why. Most importantly, they refused to worship the traditional gods. But also, judged by Roman-era criteria, they didn’t even seem to practice a recognizable form of religion. In the crucial first couple of centuries at least, they had no shrines or temples, no altars or images, and no sacrificial rites or priesthood.[1]

Granted, early Christians were accused of various things. There were the wild claims that Christians engaged in cannibalism and sexual orgies, claims that circulated mainly among the rabble. More sophisticated critics, however, portrayed them as deeply subversive of the social, religious, and political structures of the Roman world. One of the other labels hurled against Christianity was that it was a superstitio, a Latin term that designated bad religion, the kind deemed stupid, even dangerous. But “atheist” was probably the accusation that most directly reflected the sharply distinctive, even troublesome, nature of Christianity in the earliest centuries.

Unlike the emphasis today, however, in the Roman world atheism wasn’t primarily a matter of belief or unbelief. Instead, what counted then as “piety” or being religious was mainly participation in worshiping the gods. In that setting, to refuse to do so was atheism. Ancient philosophers speculated about the gods, where they came from, what they really were, and even whether they really existed, but that wasn’t so much a problem. What mattered was taking part in the traditional rites devoted to the gods. And the philosophers who speculated about the gods didn’t particularly try to discourage participation in the traditional rites, or even withdraw (at least publicly) from taking part themselves. But Christians (who by the second century were mainly converted pagans) were supposed to desist from worship of the gods . . . all of them. Also, Christian teachings ridiculed the gods as unworthy beings, and what most people thought of as “piety”—participation in the traditional rites to the gods—was designated in Christian teaching as “idolatry.”

To appreciate what this rejection of the traditional gods meant, we also have to understand that gods and reverencing them were woven through every aspect of life. Families had household deities. Cities had their guardian gods. The Roman Empire at large rested upon the gods, such as the goddess Roma. Practically any social occasion, such as a dinner, included an expression of reverence for a given deity. Meetings of guilds, such as fishers, bakers, or others, all included acknowledging their appropriate god.

So, to refuse to join in worshiping any of these deities in a thorough-going manner was a very radical move, and a risky one too, with wide-ranging social costs. People understandably took offense, and Christians could be in for a good deal of anger and hostility that might include verbal and physical abuse. In some cases, the Christian rejection of the gods led to arraignment before Roman magistrates, resulting in punishments, even executions. By the third century, there were occasional spasms of imperial persecution against Christians that could include confiscation of possessions and death sentences. And from at least the late second century, there were full-scale literary attacks on Christianity, the one most well-known today by the pagan writer Celsus.

In these circumstances, it should not be surprising that Christians often made various compromises, negotiating their existence to avoid conflict where they could do so. But the pagan critiques about Christians suggest that they were known more often for refusing to honor the gods rather than bending to social pressures to do so.

Ironically, however, this early Christian atheism had a profoundly religious basis. It was a radical critique of traditional religion that was driven by powerful theological convictions. Christians who forsook the traditional gods turned to a different kind of deity. Their deity could not be represented in an image. This one deity was creator and ruler of all things and all peoples, and was alone worthy of worship. But Christians characterized this one all-powerful deity, perhaps above all, as motivated by an almighty love for the world and its inhabitants. This was an unprecedented claim in the pagan religious environment of the time. Moreover, the proper worship of this Christian deity was mainly verbal, in prayers and songs; and the piety that this deity demanded was particularly shown in love, for fellow Christians to be sure, but also, remarkably, even for enemies.

Of course, there was obvious indebtedness to the Jewish tradition in which earliest Christianity first emerged. Judaism, however, was always closely tied to its own ethnicity. To be a full convert to the God of Judaism meant changing your ethnic identity too. But early Christianity quickly emerged as a trans-ethnic movement, aggressively proclaiming its message and recruiting former pagans to its peculiar message on a scale that made it a threat in a way that was never true of Judaism. In religion, as in some other matters, early Christianity helped to destroy one world and create another. And the effects of this early Christian “atheism” linger to this day. Modern atheism as we know it is shaped by the Christian faith against which it reacts. For even modern atheists assume that there’s only one god to doubt!

Larry W. Hurtado, author of Destroyer of the gods: Early Christian Distinctiveness in the Roman World (Baylor University Press, 2016).

[1] Granted, early Christian texts liken the Eucharistic meal to the altars of pagan deities (e.g., 1 Corinthians 10:21) and to the altar of the Jerusalem temple (Hebrews 13:10). But there were no actual altars or actual sacrificial rites.  By the third century there were church structures used for regular worship, the most well-known being the excavated church in Dura Europos (Syria).

[larryhurtado.wordpress.com]

skado 9 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What does that mean, modern atheists assume there is only one god to doubt? First of all, Agnostics do not "doubt" there is a God or two or any particular number, they simply question if there is any such thing as God or gods, and what the very word means, if in fact it HAS any meaning.at all. If it does, what meaning? Hard if not impossible to say. As an agnostic myself, and a 'deist,' I think there is an Explanation for the world we live in, but speaking strictly for myself and not all agnostics or deists, I don't envision "God" as an entity, a person, a being, but as ALL of creation. Everything. It doesn't watch us or think about us, judge us, guide us, DO ANYTHING. So I personally don't "doubt" the existence of God, necessarily, but rather how religion, be it monotheistic or polytheistic, defines the concept. So, as I define God, God cannot be "doubted," unless you want to "doubt" your own existence and the existence of the universe itself. What is VERY much in doubt is an anthropomorphic God to whom you can assign gender, feelings, thoughts, opinions, attitudes, needs, actions, etc., etc. This is demonstrably NOT the case. Show me one iota of evidence to the contrary. Now, what does that mean? To me, that means the very IDEA of God is meaningless, as are the concepts of heaven, hell, sin, grace, the whole entire cosmology we were brought up to accept. The very word "doubt" assumes there is even a microscopic sliver of a chance the religions of our upbringing have validity. Our concepts of good and evil, right and wrong, are purely man-made. They came from the minds of men. Religious books were written by men. All the paintings, drawings, statues, works of fiction and "non-fiction," movies, utterances, any and all renditions of the "sacred" and "holy," are products of the physical world we inhabit. There IS nothing else. So if we are looking for God, that's where we will find god: all around us, everywhere we look, everything we see, hear, taste, feel, and are. To me, that simply means, the God of priests, rabbis, imams, and other "holy men," does indeed not exist. Does that make me an "atheist?" Far from it. I believe wholeheartedly in God. Just not THAT God.

Thanks for the nice article above. The history was interesting.

WOW!! fun read. Interesting and informative. Thanks for posting.

Good read.

Fascinating history, thanks for sharing.

It occurred to me, that the Christianity of the early years, would look nothing like what we have today. This is an advanced technological time, which would alter even the most devout Christian teachings. Just unknowingly people would adjust their thinking by modern times, even as they attempted to follow the good old time Scriptures. That is what I have observed about human nature.

interesting @skado. I wonder how a study of early Christian economics would dovetail with this.... I was just thinking about Christian's lacking the kind of money necessary for temples and such....gods are expensive.

Great reading—thanks skado.

I’ve often thought that for all its flaws, Christianity was a definite step upward from the previous religions. To worship a single cosmic God seems more reasonable, and getting away from the old blood sacrifices also. The message of love as taught by Jesus is in definite contrast to the harsh tribal ethics of the day. Our ancestors must have thought they were following the right course when they converted.

Power seekers rushed in to control the churches, leading to what amounts to not much more than a cultic regime of guilt, fear, and repression. An option for those who want a religion is to upgrade to something more sophisticated, such as New Thought.

Another option is simply to rejoice in existence and celebrate nature in your own way. Life is good!

The message of love preached by Jesus ?? "I came to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law." and "Drop everything and follow me " In other words -- The end times are coming so don't bother preparing for the future. Great advice

The early Christians were persecuted not for worshiping their god but for refusing to worship the official Roman gods. Of course when their religion became the official one they behaved in an even worse way.
For an excellent coverage of the early days read "The Darkening Age, the christian destrruction of the classical world" by Catherine Nixey.. Fascinating.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:295609
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.