Agnostic.com

2 0

Mindfulness Meditation - Evidence Based?

Hearing people like Sam Harris talk about meditation, one might come to the conclusion that the science around the effectiveness of meditation is in and, it's conclusive, it works. He and other proponents of mindfulness regularly cite scientific research conducted on brains of regular meditators and share their personal anectdotes of mental transformation and well being.

As we know here in the skeptical community, the plural of anecdote is not "data". And when someone looks into the research they find it's filled with predominantly poor methodology and cherry picked data... Current opinions surrounding meditation seem to be mostly over hype based on insufficient evidence. One article I found even said that "watching TV might bring you approximately the same level of benefit"..

It begs the question...

Is there anything at all to this meditation craze? Or is it another fad along the lines of essential oils and homeopathy? Placebo?

And my follow up- How can we, as skeptics, keep from falling for and endorsing psuedo scientific claims? How can we keep from being fooled?

FlyingSpaghetti 3 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are definitely measurable effects on a person’s body from meditation. This is confirmed by various studies.

So far as benefits, it is something that individuals can easily determine for themselves. My experience is that yes, there are benefits. The greatest benefit is just an experience—to realize that you are not your thoughts or emotions, rather that you are pure consciousness.

I readily admit to being a woo kind of guy however.

I have no science for you but meditation has been practiced for several thousand years. THis does not make it valid, but it is not a fad either.

Yeah, prayer has been practiced for thousands of years too... And you're right, it doesn't mean it has any benefits.

As for the fad, I just meant that it's super popular in the United States at the present.

@FlyingSpaghetti ,
hasn't it been tested with electrodes on subjects brains to test the efficacy?

@callmedubious it has, but it's unclear from these studies wether it is a direct effect of meditation or if it's just relaxation in general. The same type of brainwaves are present while doing repetitive tasks (folding laundry, doing dishes, etc.) And during passive activities like listening to podcasts or watching TV. It's not clear that meditation has any direct effects.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:296514
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.