Agnostic.com

45 14

I'm struggling and looking for advice. As a divorceé who is wanting to date again, I have no idea what I actually want in a man or from a relationship. I am only sure of what I don't want. And that makes me want to stay under a rock until I figure it out.

Have you been through this, and, if so, how did you change your thought process? How did you fill in the negative spaces left by failed relationships of the past?

Nottheonlyone 7 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I moved out 6 months ago and the judge signed the divorce papers November 1st. It’s been a process for me. I’m finally comfortable being single and won’t settle for less than I deserve. I think knowing what you don’t want is a great start!

I may be way off on this, but I stopped trying to fill the spaces left by previous relationships several years ago.

I spent a long time looking at my relationship life as a checkbook - with balancing being the goal. If I had a bad experience, I tried to find a good one to balance things out.

As I've grown over the years, I've come to understand that relationships aren't that simple or straight forward. In my experience, all my relationships have been some mixture of good and bad, and that's ok.

The only thing I've really learned so far about what I want is something I've always wanted: I want to date my best friend.

I mean, yeah, all the romance stuff and sex is awesome. Ultimately, though, I want someone I can nerd out with, feel safe with, and know understands me.

For me, dating has always been difficult and painful. I've accepted that it'll probably always be that way. If I go more than a month without sex I fear I'll never have it again. I'm a bit neurotic. That's ok. It's all ok.

Instead of trying to figure things out to prevent myself from getting hurt, I've decided to focus on caring for myself. If/when I stumble across someone who wants to bang or date, I give it a go.

Ultimately, divorce breaks us. It just does. Please give yourself time to grieve. Grieving a lost marriage is blindingly painful. I know I spent some time after mine just shagging whoever was down hoping to dull the pain. No matter what I did, though, it was still there. My divorce happened 14 years ago, and there are rare times where it still haunts me.

You are worth taking the time to work through your grieving process. You deserve it.

Once the grieving process is far enough along you'll be feel like you can breath again.

Maybe I'm full of garbage. Maybe your process is entirely different from mine. Whatever the case, if you put caring yourself first, you'll make it through the darkest, hardest times - and come out believing in yourself and healthier than you went in.

It's been over a year since my marriage ended and eight months since he moved out. I've worked through most of my resentment toward him and I truly feel that l have done my grieving. Maybe I shoulda be asking how to make friends at my age...

That's awesome!

I would encourage you to pursue what you truly want. If you don't know, or what you want changes, that cool.

And I think friendship is a great place to start. If romance happens, awesome. If not, you've got a good friend.

I have been in love with a woman I've known for many years. Just recently she made it clear that she is not attracted to me romantically. That hurts. A lot. But she's still my best friend. She loves and cares for me like she always has. We both need each other in our lives. And, honestly, she's worth the pain.

Whatever you choose, I hope you find love.

@Nottheonlyone It's a bit difficult to make friends nowadays. I find that if I do what I want to do by myself I sometimes find someone who also likes to do that too. I have different friends for different activities...some friends play cards, one likes to go to matinee play performances, etc. I don't mean to discourage you, but I have been on my own for ten years. It has taken time to build up a friends network.

I have learned a great deal from reading the comments on this post - thank you all. I've been alone for 4 years, 3 divorced, and I did hide under a rock for the first year. The second year was a disastrous attempt at dating, so back under the rock I went. I got those pretty mandala coloring books, drank wine, listened to mantra and chant music, went to therapy - all the "stuff." I'd been married for over 30 years and had no idea who I was. It had always been us.

It's no wonder we don't know what we want - because (generally speaking) we have always defined ourselves in terms of others. Like - "if I'm not in a relationship I'm a failure." And those well-worn neural pathways have very steep walls. Seeing over the top of those is part of the path. Climbing over them is another - and with scrapes and scratches, and possibly broken bones (metaphorically speaking of course) - we see the next part of the path.

Now, as the saying goes, "there was no light at the end of the tunnel, so I lit that bitch up myself." Feel your way forward in the dark. You'll know. Just enjoy yourself for now, and learn who YOU are.

Very good advice.

When you figure out what to do could you please clue me in? Thanks.

Honesty. Faithfulness. Considerate. Kind. Willing to see your perspective when you have differences. Helpful. Self-supporting. Those should be basic requirements of a potential partner. That's not goal-oriented, but, sorry, I'm a list maker.

I'm sure there are more, but maybe that's a start?

I won't get into how I coped with my losses, but you'll be OK as long as you have self-love and self-respect.

I actually disagree with most of the people saying its important that you know exactly what you want. Personally I think you need some firm deal breaking needs, like faithful, honest, not abusive, laid back or outgoing. Beyond that I'd say just leave it open. I think the reason most relationships fail is people get exactly what they want worked into their head and unfortunately its almost impossible to find a man who lives up to it even with the internet. I also think this leads to being in love with your idea more than the person you are with. So leave a lot of open space where you don't have deal breakers. Look at the entirety of the person and judge them individually. For example, I am really attracted to short asians, however I'm also really attracted to tall redheads. When you start being specific its easy to cut out combos that would really work for you, it also prevents you from seeing things you didn't know you could like or not like.

I agree with your words. The vision I have of compatible men is so very different from one that walked into my life very recently and unexpectedly, who, with a couple exceptions, is totally different from my preconceived notions !

Remember, everyone is a mixture, we all have our "don't wants" mine is women who go to the gym, all because I dated an obsessed gym junkie.
Don't stay under a rock, you would probably find me there.

Negative spaces in your life?
Fill them with other things, life is like a glass of water, you can only fit so much in, but it can be re-filled many times.

hey, I should put that on a bubble gum wrapper.

ME ME ME!!! I want to know! Thanks for this post.

Not sure if you are still interested, and where I am no expert in dating, I have found a few things that have really helped me after my divorce. I like to experience different things in life: places, foods, cultures and have an open mind to try just about anything. When I find someone that prefers the road less taken, regardless any physical or emotional attractions, life tends to offer the adventures and things I enjoy.

Being on the introverted side, I know left to my comfortable tendencies I wouldn't leave the house much. I've also learned I'm happier when I get out, when I'm intentionally social. I would like to be in a relationship but I know it's not an answer. I play trivia at a bar with friends once a week. I get out on occasion other times. I try and be present. I put myself "out there" on here, Match, OkCupid. If I meet someone and something grows from a friendship, that would be wonderful. But my happiness will never (again) be contingent on the presence of someone else.

<fist bump>

I'm not looking for happiness from someone else... I think I'm trying to be certain I don't let anyone else make me unhappy. I've done a lot of that in my previous relationships. Sacrificed for the greater good, always being the only one to do it, building resentment for years... Maybe I still belong under that rock for a bit longer...

@Nottheonlyone No, you do not belong under a rock. The challenge is to try to do some things differently than the things that didn't work out well. I think it is time for you to be a bit "selfish" and do things just because you want to...if you always wanted to tap dance, go sign up for lessons, etc. If you find someone who also enjoys the same things, that's like frosting on the cake. In the meantime, you are having fun.

I’ll be watching this one for sure. I’ve had the same questions as well.

I separated in 2015 and divorced was final by November of 2106. I spent 2017 trying out the online dating scene of OKCupid. I chose to only go out those men who had thoughtful, long, intelligently written profiles, who were atheist/agnostic or who were interested in Eastern spirituality (because they tended to be very chill, kind human beings), who liked the outdoors or who had a creative hobby (photography/poetry).

I found that those that actually had some sort of creative outlet tended to be more trustworthy and kind. And ALL those I dated had 1) no sports team logos in any of the pictures 2) no motorcyles and 3) no former servicemen (no offense to servicemen, but that's just another indoctrination I don't do well with).

The guys I chose tended to be free of toxic masculinity and were often very loving.

I didn't want to have ordinary dates, either. I wanted beautiful adventures. I tended to go on 1 or 2 days with no expectations but just to go somewhere I'd either never been before, or they hadn't. I went with only the desire to make friends, not find another partner. That seemed to be the best thing ever for me.

One of them was an amateur photographer like I am and he turned out to be my best friend. We meet up about once a month at least, but we also go out places with our cameras to take photographs. The last place he took me it was to see the Sandhill crane migration spot. He constantly makes me laugh.

I met someone really into his meditation practice, who was a former neuroscience student who also spent a year at a Buddhist retreat in Oregon. I invited him out to my local arboretum and we spent hours there looking at wildlife. It was amazing when a green dragonfly landed on my shirt. And later he let an insect crawl over his hand while he was telling me about his time with the monks and I put my hand on his and the insect crawled over to me. It was just a magical moment of connection. I never saw him again after that date. He was way too young for me but a beautiful soul.

I went on a date with a math professor and he introduced me to Indian food and we spent time walking around my favorite university while he told me about how he went to college at 15. We are still trying to get together for another date but he's kind of far from me so it's hard during the winter.

I had the most chemistry with a poet. The weird thing is that while we walked around different trendy little spots in Logan Square in Chicago and we talked for 6 hours straight with no awkward pauses, I never actually felt any particular strong attraction to him. It wasn't until that parting kiss which completely bewitched me. And because of that kiss two weeks later he asked me to go a mediation and movement retreat for a weekend. I wouldn't ordinarily go away with someone I didn't know to a cabin in the middle of the woods with someone I barely knew, but as it turned out, it was one of the best gifts I could have been given. Once he sent me the information for the link, and that we'd be in a cabin with 8 other adults, I felt much better about it.

So, yeah, dating is the MOST AWESOME THING EVER!!!!

I've learned so much about myself and my confidence skyrocketed last year from having been out there exploring the world and meeting new people.

I hope I get to that point. Thanks for sharing your story.

I bet you will. Just be kind to yourself in the meanwhile. Take yourself on solo dates and try to discover fun things you would like to do or learn.

Oh yeah, take a risk and travel somewhere, anywhere, by yourself. I went on an 18 hour train ride from Indiana to Colorado and I grew significantly in the process. I was so happy to find I can move about in the world on my own and have fun all by myself.

I met so many nice people I would never have talked to if I was traveling with someone else.

Don't bother with what you want or don't want in a person. People are such complicated things! Do you think you would fit exactly into somebody's tick list? Live your life to enjoy yourself, you'll meet many people along the way, interact with the ones you enjoy interacting with, ditch the ones you don't. At some point you'll be interacting with one more than the rest. That's the one to date!

Like this.

Dont rush into anything. You , for sure, don't want to get into another bad relationship.
Start doing things that you enjoy and things will come together for you.
Try joining a gym. The exercise will really help you, and most people that I've met there are pretty cool...

I've thought about that. I might try to find a local cycling group. Not a big fan of the gym scene.

@Nottheonlyone that soumds great.thinkig about that, I may have to dig out my bike. Lol

Be yourself--go to activities that you enjoy so that you meet others that share your interests. Get your feet back under you, fill up the dried up places, find yourself again. You can't expect to be in a healthy relationship until you are healthy. Don't worry about finding "the right guy" for now--just let life happen and renew yourself. Listen to your gut---and when you see those things you are intolerant of then don't be afraid to say"thanks, but no thanks"--Good luck--

Yes, I'm going through it too and I'm resolved to keep my standards high and higher than they were. I too know what I don't want and I believe that plays into what I want and deserve! As tough as it is I'm learning that I have to tell myself to 1) be patient as hard as that is 2) not" settle" that's what I did in my first marriage 3) be content with the possibility I may never find someone thus, I have to be happy with me which is MOST important! I don't know you but, maybe you're not quite ready? I thought a while ago (a year ago which was 7 months after I separated) that I was ready for dating and a potential relationship. Now, in retrospect, I wonder if I'm ready now even though I feel ready moreso than a year ago. I've dated some and it really sucks at this age! I begin to doubt myself and I feel like I'd be a catch. All I know is trust your gut and be patient with yourself.

Uncas Level 4 Feb 26, 2018

I've wondered that, too, but I was also thinking that it might be like having a baby or buying a house: if you wait until you're ready, you'll never do it.

You might want to go to therapy to find out what is most important to you.

I'm already there! It's a process. Still figuring things out.

@Nottheonlyone Good for you! Taking care of yourself.

I think knowing what you don't want is good enough. It seems like people who have a checklist don't have much luck. I, over the years, have wanted a variety of combinations. You'll just know it when you see it. Don't worry.

I don't much care for the term "checklist." I'm trying to think in terms of goals as opposed to attributes.

@Nottheonlyone Okay. Having an idea of some things that can point you in the direction of where to look is understandable, and can be deduced by rephrasing what you don't want (assuming you mean things like if you don't want a substance abuser, you want someone who tends toward a clean lifestyle, if you don't want either a workaholic or a couch potato, you want someone with a balanced approach to life - that kind of thing).

I do know people who have actual checklists (tall, wealthy, has read a lot of classical literature...) and they have not had real luck with that approach. Please forgive me for misunderstanding - I don't know you yet.

There is nothing to forgive! Your reply is actually quite helpful, thank you!

Why is it the people feel the need to Define what they want? Go out and meet people. Go out on dates and some of them will be bad and some of them will be good and a few of them would be great. Quit over thinking and start doing or life will pass you by. By the way even the bad dates will turn into funny stories

I don't think there is an easy or simple answer to this.

I think all you can do is take some time a get over the trauma of the last relationship.

After my #1, I had ZERO interest in marriage again. But I met people, I dated, and I didn't worry about it. One day I realized I had found a keeper, though I was not looking. 20 years later we're still super happy.

Be patient, especially with yourself. Then just get out there, live your life, and see what comes of it. You will heal.

Make it about you... Make yourself again the center of the universe. You will know when you are Ready... but be as selfish as word "I". Get some attitude and direction where you want to go.

I'd love to say there is a patch that can fix it Instantly but truth is its all about distance, contemplation and soul searching you'll find what will help heal you're heart by chance or by design. My advice stop wondering how to fill in the negative and start by looking at what is positive...

For me, I had to become comfortable & content being alone. I had to reclaim myself for me & stop being W & P's mom & G's wyfe. I needed to evaluate what I wanted from & for the rest of my life & learn what makes me happy & whole. Only then could I decide what I truly bring to the table, understand my worth as an individual, and figure out what I would like in the next person I invited into my life. I would rather be alone & happy than with the wrong person & miserable.

I went from dating a narcissist, to marrying & divorcing a gold digger to dating an actual Sociopath.... so as the song goes, I Am Bad At Love. I have pretty much given up and stopped looking, and have decided to focus on my son, friends and farm, those are the things that make me happiest. I can honestly say, I can not remember if I have ever been less stressed or happier! I have decided that the only qualities of my next love interest will be that they be a Doctor; preferably a Dentist, a Veterinarian or Psychology, you know someone useful!! LOL!

I've made poor choices in the past, too. I think that's why I'm so afraid to try again.

Time should help. Try to think of why you want someone and start with that.

Oxytocin and dopamine, for starters. And in spite of my track record, I'd like to have a partner in this life. I've had husbands, but never a partner.

And I don't need anyone. But it would be nice to have someone to lean on every once in a while. It would be so lovely to just occasionally let someone take care of me.

My life is so much better now that I'm only responsible for myself and my son. I've always been the one to hold everything together. Maybe it would be okay if I fell apart, even if it's just for a day.

Maybe I'm just having a rough week. My furnace and my washer both died Saturday night, I'm doubting myself as a romantic prospect, and for some dumb reason I can't put my finger on, lately I've been reliving horrible moments from my marriage. And while I'm not alone, sometimes it really feels like I am. I'm tired of always being the responsible parent, the dependable co-worker, the go to girl.

And for what it's worth, I've already had the furnace fixed. The washer can wait, says the single mom who hasn't seen a penny from her ex.

Sorry for the rant, thanks for listening.

Will be going through this shortly. Would be interested in your experiences.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29662
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.