Agnostic.com

6 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He was given a pass because he is a good looking pastor. Disgusting.

Hello

how r u? wanna make friends

I love how everyone is grabbing their pitchforks as if they know more about the case than the jury.

@OwlInASack I don’t see any reason why religion even comes into the matter.

@OwlInASack If an athiest also had performed some community service, I see no reason why he/she would not also get leniency.

@indirect76 Like or not, if a person plays the religion card, then (other religious)people give them a pass. I think it is simple denial that a person who is religious can also really be a bad person. If they admit such a thih is possible, then it would be unpleasant in most cases for hem to closely examine their own lives and the kind of persons they themselves are.

@ToolGuy Sure, but we don’t know anything about the religious makeup of the jury in this case.

@snytiger6 I’m sure that kind of stuff can happens. Though without having the facts of the case and not knowing anything about the jury, I would not presume anything. The knee jerk reaction and calls for violence that I see others do is what I take exception to.

@ToolGuy Yes, they are randomly selected then vetted by voir dire. Is that a bad thing? I don’t understand your point.

@ToolGuy Both sides participate in jury selection. So you can get a jury that identifies with the defendant, or one that doesn’t, or a mix. I’m honestly failing to see where you’re going with this.

not about the jury for me. you are correct as i was not in the room. although i would give him a year for being an "aspiring christian pop star". maybe two. my issue is with the congregation. if true, shunning the victim for bringing down creepy guy who in someone's view deserved leniency, but deserves 8 months in prison, and required to pay a victim twelve-k and cannot contact them? so he's guilty? clearly guilty? mighty pious of you to shun the victim... and i hope he ends up with a very large, angry, perverse roomie.

@larsatrg I’m sure you are kidding around and all, and while I agree that shunning the victim is wrong, I don’t think it rises to the level of punishable criminality. I also despise the notion that extra-judiciary punishment in the form of prison rape is a good thing.

@ToolGuy You say that you do not know what happened in this case. Neither do I. Let’s agree on that, because that is my original point. Everything else is beside that point.

@indirect76 as i said, i was not in the room, and did not fault leniency. no clue. yes, of course prison rape is wrong. so is giving him two for singing about jesus.

EIGHT MONTHS??? That is reprehensible...

I think that anyone - ESPECIALLY someone in a position of power in any organization (school, church, whatever) - who sexually abuses children should have a surgical bilateral orchiectomy. Maybe not even surgically, instead perhaps allow the family (of the child who has been abused) perform the procedure in a manner they feel is appropriate. Chainsaw comes to mind. Not that I am opinionated, no, not I...

i shared this on fb

Just spit-ballin' here, BUT, what if, once a guilty verdict has been reached,
the convicted sexual predator just gets shot in the head?
Like right there in the courtroom?
That would go a long way to reduce recidivism.
Victims would have closure, and would never need to fear their attacker making
another attack.
It would also send a really clear message that behavior will not be tolerated.
It's not even "cruel and unusual punishment".
If we're going to have a Death Penalty in this country, I say we should use it
more liberally. No appeals. No prison time. Just a bullet to the head.
Done.

I like it.

I 2nd this motion

That appeals to the reptilian part of my brain, not so much to the rest of it.

@jerry99 I'm done. No more "benefit of the doubt", these assholes cannot be rehabilitated. They are rabid predators.
The only thing that makes sense is to put them down.

@KKGator It's not about benefit of the doubt or effectiveness of rehab; it's about what kind of people are we.

@jerry99 We are NOT "good people". We have never been "good people".
We're just pretending to be more civilized, but we aren't.
We are only slightly better than we were back in the Dark Ages.
We just have more technology and science.
Neither of which makes us better people.
Humanity has always sucked.

@KKGator Yes you are not good people. We can tell, however would it not be nice if you were good people, if you learned, if you did the right thing by everyone, if you strived, but maybe that is just wishful thinking.

You really have NO idea what you're talking about.
You're just being judgmental and you think you're better than I am.
Your assumptions continue to demonstrate your true character.
Who is this "We" of which you speak?
You're the only one who thinks it's okay to tell me that I'm not "good people". You're the only one who thinks it's okay to tell me that I don't do "the right thing by everyone".

Btw, if your opinion of me is so low, why are you repeatedly compelled to respond to my posts?

You are a hypocrite, @Jolanta.
You think you're better, but you aren't.

8 months. What an insult to the victims. I agree with your comment about a bullet to the head. That or life in prison. Pedophiles are no different than murders in my mind. Pedophiles kill the lives of the children that they victimize. Many of these children grow up to have substance abuse problems, relationship issues and many become pedophiles themselves continuing the cycle of abuse. We have a responsibility as a society to break the cycle of abuse once and for all.

@RobertMartin Yep.

@KKGator Maybe. We all have to deal with lots of shit that make us angry, sad, whatever and that shows up in how we treat ourselves and others. The best of us, like Obama, bring out the best in us, while the worst, Trump, ... well, you know. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over this POS being murdered, but I wouldn’t want to live in a country where that was considered normal. YMMV

@jerry99 Well, if you're against the Death Penalty, I guess you would call it "murder".

@jerry99 - at first glance it seems a perfect solution, but I agree with you.

@TheMiddleWay I have zero expectation of my "solution" ever being implemented. It's extreme, and it's not remotely feasible.
I just really like the idea a whole lot. I hate sexual predators. In many cases, I feel like they're worse than murderers.

Your idea is far more practical.

Yeah. I thought those Mad Max movies were pretty cool too.

@OwlInASack I wasn't being serious.
Just raising a point.

@OwlInASack While I would be fine with it, I know there is NO chance of it ever coming to pass.

Although, I do have to laugh at the argument, "there could be innocent people who could be falsely convicted".
I used to be against the Death Penalty, and I used to use that as an "argument".
I laugh at my own naivete.

@KKGator Child sex offenders can be rehabilitated. I think that we are obligated as a society to provide this treatment.

[sapiens.org]
"But most convicted child molesters are not in fact serial offenders. They have a low recidivism rate. When treated in prevention programs, they have a recidivism rate of 14 percent, which is lower than their untreated counterparts,"

[apa.org]
"a significant difference between recidivism rates for sex offenders who were treated and those who were not, "

[stopitnow.org]
"People can and do learn to change behavior with specialized treatment."

When it cam be proved that there are three or more victims, the idea does have some appeal. However false accusations do exist, and that is why it only becomes appealing (in that reptilian part o fmy brain) after there are three or more confirmed victims

I am cautious because Michael jackson only had two accusers, and one recanted after Jackson's death, saying his father put him up to it in order to get money. Granted Jackson was a really wierd man, but I think a lot mroe victims would have come forward considering all the money involved, if he really were a pedophile.

I am just generally overly cautious aobut any final solutions such as a death penalty, as there have been several cases where a person was proven innocent after they were already put to death.

@Stephanie99, @snytiger6, @OwlInASack

I do not care. I will always believe they should be eradicated from the population.

If a few innocents get mixed up in the process, that's the way it goes.
Innocents die every single day. The system is flawed. Human error is
inevitable.
Life isn't fair. Never has been, never will be.

However, since I do NOT have the power to enforce how I feel about it, no one else gets to argue with me about it.
It doesn't matter if you disagree.
I don't care if how I feel about it bothers you.

You pretty much already have your way on the issue, and I don't.
Why do you want to argue?

@KKGator I argue for the sake of promotion of evidence based thinking.

@Stephanie99 Knock yourself out. For all the good it'll do.

@KKGator Oh, my. I am being judgemental and you are not, oh you one of the not good people.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:297465
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.