Agnostic.com

11 0

Sexual Metaphysics

Sex, the highest form of spirituality, yay or nay? I vote yay.

stuntman_buddha 3 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not sex as much as intimacy and connection during sex.

Yes, intimacy can feel transcendent. I think we should use words like transcendent and joyful and cathexis to describe such feelings. Spiritual is not an accurate characterization, unless by "spiritual" you just mean some general feeing of connection and safety and non-duality. Which is another way of saying "good feels". But most people bring the notion of deities or religion into "spirituality" which is another problem I have with the use of the term.

Other people can use the term any way they want; I'm comfortable with it because for me it means a connection with something deep within and has nothing to do with an external religion or deities. But transcendent works for me, too. Sex on it's own can be fun, but when it's with someone you have a bond with, there's no comparison.

I vote nay. It is a biological function. A fun one at that!

You haven't defined spirituality. For every 10 people there are 12 definitions of that word.

Sex is sex. It's not the highest form of anything. Sometimes it's not even the highest form of sex.

Nay. It just uses the most nerve endings and creates the greatest release of pleasure chemicals in the brain. That being said, I think it's pretty base to bring it down to just a biological function. It's a powerful emotion that has great potential to motivate us to all kinds of things. And we can choose to experiment and try all sorts of things that make it even better.

No. Spirituality is a himan invention. It does not exist in nature.

Nay.

Nope

Nay,

What is spirituality?

As I have no idea what spirituality means, I have to say Nay.

It is all chemical. Those spiritual feelings are chemicals binding to specific receptors in the brain. They happen to be the same or similar (individuals vary) for sex, spiritual elation, and roller coasters. I vote that they are all different but have similar biochemical effects on our minds.

Could be

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29877
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.