Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not in the closet, and l don't boast about it. If it comes up l have no problem discussing the subject.

II've only just admitted to myself that I'm an agnostic atheist, and I haven't "come out" in the sense that I've made an announcement about it... not because I'm ashamed, but simply I don't think it warrants an announcement. I talk passionately about things like separation of Church and state, and also vocally challenge theists on their beliefs, so I guess people are noticing that. I also post a few links to atheist pages, outlooks, etc, on my socials, so I don't think it's a secret.

I am happy to answer someone who asks me directly, but it has been interesting that nobody actually has asked yet!

I am an open agnostic, simply because I have a big mouth!

Very Open

I do not announce it, but i would not deny it.
The world is an urban jungle, and i won't put a target on my back on purpose.
I will debate with someone about god, from their own framework, because i want them to question their dogma, and change their ideals from old testament fire and brimstone to new testament to walk like jesus and love everyone as themself.

I'm not going to try to change someones label, just their beliefs about the label.

Angus Level 5 June 7, 2018

Open but gentle. Many people have doubts about their religious beliefs and I like to be able to talk to them about those doubts. I've found aggressively asserting my agnosticism shuts folks down or makes them hyper defensive. I grew up in a very religious environment, so I know the humans inside the believers. Conversations with those humans are more interesting to me than a debate that is, frankly, getting a bit tiring. Also, as agnostics and atheists, we have a pretty crumby stereotype to deal with. I like to subvert that stereotype. That's hard to do when you tell a religious person they're stupid for believing something. They often expect an atheist to be disrespectful and aggressive because they're taught to believe that's how we all are. Some of us are aggressive, and that's fine. Religion has hurt many of us. However, I try to be the agnostic that I am, rather than take on the expectations of people I disagree with. I've found gentle, open discussions are a powerful path towards helping people shed unhealthy religious views.

I'm not a self-worshiping egotistical athiest like Anton LaVey , nor am I agnostic. I am spiritual, but I do think there is some sort force of good and evil in the world. The dark usually obsesses me, but I know the difference between doing the right thing, and the wrong thing/ Steven Weinberg once said something along the lines of "In a world with or without religion, you would have good people doing good things, and evil people doing bad things. But for a good person to do evil tings, that takes religion". On a tangent, look at Hitler and Stalin. One was Roman Catholic for most of his life. The other was an athiest.

My parents know, my grandmother knows, my aunt and uncle know... other than that I keep it to myself. I live in a very religious part of Kansas so i would definitely be treated differently if others knew. as an example the place i work at has a large wooden sign in front that says "In God We Trust" right below the name. and one of my co-workers told me i was going to hell if i didn't accept Jesus as my personal savior... its not something i share with people freely, however if they ask then I will not lie.

When it comes up : wide open Anti-theist.
Nothing to hide, nothing to fear, nothing to lose.

Probably a little of both. The subject doesn't really come up that often. When it does I mention it, but otherwise I hardly even think about it myself.

My husband is a Methodist; our boys are non-practicing Christians. I am very hidden in the closet.

I am open because so many carry bad stereotypes about us. I think it’s important for them to confront honest skepticism that challenges the you are mad or want to sin narrative.

Pretty open from the beginning. LOL an Army 1SG once aggressively asked, "you're just an unrepentant sinner"

YUP

Thankfully my family has always been supportive.

I'm completely open despite living in the Bible Belt. Fortunately, my field (computer technology) isn't conservative, and I don't rely on anyone who is going to freak out about my lack of belief for anything.

Open atheist, closeted antitheist because I don't want to explain to strong people with fragile beliefs how religion (actually, those who use it as a tool of controlling others) is the main reason the world is on such a desperate state as it is. They never take it will out rationally, and tend to double down on their cognitive dissonance, which would be the opposite effect I intended by sharing my opinions with them in the first place.

That's supposed to say, "is in" and "well or" not "is on" and "will out" lol. Sorry about that. I'm on mobile...

Open to family and friend not so much at work.

Open if any one asks . but I don't really see teh point in anyone knowing really because it is an absence of something not a presence and not really any part of my life as I have never been religious - It probably is hte least interesting thing about me something that isnt there.

Open... I had a new group at work and our manager had an intro meeting/dinner and we were each asked to tell something about ourselves. I said I don't believe in God to the gasp of a few folks. I have actually had a few really good converstaaions with one of the more religous people on the team. He was the most outspoken that night and made a few off the wall comments and we have had some really good chats..

why would anyone be a closet atheist? That would mean you do not truly believe in yourself. Religion is based on blind faith and with that , the atheist are based on facts and reality. I am so very proud I have seen the light and am a non follower of religion of stupid god tricks.

EMC2 Level 8 May 1, 2018

I can see why people in some circumstances aren't open about their atheism or agnosticism.

I have a friend who needs church resources to help fight addiction and an acquaintance who is getting education money from their church.

Thank god (probably Set) I've never had to hide my faith in FSM!

I'm an open atheist, trying to do my part to un-closet current and future atheists, and rid this country of the taboo around atheism. Hopefully I'll live to see an atheist elected President.

I am in the closet with most of my family because I fear they would disown me if I told them the truth. With just about everyone else, I am very open.

open if anybody asks me but I wouldnt tell them if they were not interested or if they were patently god botherers. I have said this before in Northern Ireladn if youre asked and you say atheist they will probably ask 'but protestant atheist or catholic atheist?

IDK. If someone asks, I don't lie, but I've never made an announcement either. When friends or family start talking about religion I just smile and nod. I'm atheist, but not anti-theist. If people get comfort from religion that's not my business unless they're trying to sell it to me. When people I don't know show up at the door with The Watchtower I tell them we're all atheists here and please go sell crazy someplace else.

I'm openly atheist to my friends and colleagues - but all of my friends and many of my colleagues are atheists anyway. It's not really a big deal in the UK.

My daughter went through a religious phase when she first started school, but now that she's a teenager she's an atheist too - despite having chosen to go to a church secondary school!

Open.
I especially enjoy conversations with evangelizing Christians that go door to door. I want them to see that it’s possible to an agnostic atheist and be polite, friendly and a good person who enjoys life.

AnneD Level 5 Apr 21, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.