Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Open, because it isn't a problem generally despite Ireland traditionally being a deeply religious country. A look of bewilderment is the strongest resonse I encounter.

I'm open to everyone in my life that matters. I'm open whenever someone questions me about about it. I don't feel the need to broadcast it to work acquaintances or the public in general because it doesn't really define who I am. I find "militant atheism" a bit odd because not believing is something I don't spend a lot of time thinking about.

Open if asked, not bothered who knows, but if any one gives me a hard time I just turn my back and walk away - 'again' -can't be bothered

open but not to people who are goign to proseletyse at me - I know who is and who isnt everyone in N.I ,knows who is and who isnt.Iys easy to keep out of teh way of those who are heavy handed about thir reliious beliefs .

Very open, self proclaimed atheist. Militant at times.

Totally open. Some of the stories in the bible are just sick.

Open. I'm also an openly gay male. Why? I refuse to live in fear about what others might do to me or think of me. I'm 295 pounds of Irish male. I don't do fear.

I'm 100% open about my relationship with reality.

I don't know if I'd say closet... just private. I'd also consider myself agnostic probably more than athiest. I do believe there is something "out there" for the lack of a better phrase, but I don't think human kind is to a point to be able to understand it. That's ok with me though. I also don't think that's terribly important. I think it's far more imporatant how we treat each other regardless of our differences. It's easy to treat people nicely if they have many of the same ideas and beliefs, but to give that to those who are not the same, that's the trick, that's the important thing.

AmyLF Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

I try not to bring that subject up due to the area I live. I do tell people that I believe in treating my fellow man with respect and love. I don't need to go to church to do that. I do talk about how religion was created by man with rules for each religion. Amish live near my home and they are very nice people, but if a member of their church doesn't follow their rules they will shun them. That is about as cruel a thing that someone could do to a family member.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 6, 2018

Open but not evangelical about it. Not averse to slapping overly idiotic religious nuts about on the head and shoulders with facts if they get too mouthy about their fantasies.

I keep to myself about my lack of belief due to the fact that pretty much all my family and friends are believers and I run the risk of getting alienated if I reveal such. In addition, a few family members have openly stated they wish all atheists would die and a jihad should be done on them, so violent acts are not beneath them.

I am open and honest about it. I feel it's important for more people to think freely and question the lies they're fed on a daily basis. We'll never progress forward as a society without frequently questioning and calling out bullshit.

I suppose since I came out by starting a youtube channel (still exxists, but long abandoned), I've been pretty out about it since I first realized that was where I was.

I'm an open agnostic. I find that, as a position, it keeps the most fervent believers and athiests at bay. I shrug and say "I don't know, I just work here." I will note, though, that a lot more people have died because of Faith than because of atheism.

Open, especially to those strangers I do favors for in public that think I must be a Christian, cause I am so nice....shocks them for sure.

I am an open Agnostic Atheist. I think that when people get more comfortable with the idea that good kind and intelligent people have no beliefs in dieties they will be more open to questioning their own ideas.

I'm an closet atheist, because my religious family would freak out. I have enough stress in my life. I plan to come out some day. Maybe before the year ends.

Apparently we are in the End Days (again, yawn) so you may want to get cracking on that. Otherwise The Rapture could be embarrassing.

Open, but not "in your face." I don't initiate debate or wear a sign, but I'm not shy about saying what I think if somebody else brings up the topic.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 24, 2018

Open Atheist, if anyone wants to know; - very few people in Northern Ireland do want to know: - I do remember going to an ongoing symposium of 'All faiths and None', here. - And I was the only one who was 'None'

It was funny really because I kept going even though people were a bit nervous of me, then the whole thing collapsed when we had a Born Again christian being told to get out of the building because she got into a heated verbal struggle with a Muslim who was 'The Guest' I don't really know if htere was any way they could have handled it better - but I felt sorry for us all.

Open - because where I lived in London, nobody cared, Where I live now nobody cares unless youre protestant or catholic. So, Under the radar ,for all us unbelievers.

I am in the closet. The mother of my children is Catholic and my youngest goes to a Catholic school. My oldest daughter lives with me but we do not discuss religion.

I would say im fairly closeted. If someone asks, I'm not going to lie and say I beleive, but im not going to bring it up either. My Facebook profile says Religion - None.

Open to family, closet at work. I lead a dichotomous existance.

Open. It's pretty safe to be a nontheist where I live: even our Congressperson is!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.