Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very open especially on social media!! I try to explain that the belief in a creator is dangerous because it makes us complacent to how precious we really are! If we believe we can be reproduced by a creator after a globally catastrophic event we have lost respect for our own existence! If we let many different religious beliefs separate humanity we may never unite as one species
I find it very sad and dangerous when religion replaces knowledge and understanding with belief and faith! .

I'm an open atheist. I understand why people want to be in the closet, but I decided a of months that it's important for me to be honest with everyone. When I was doubting/questioning I was glad there were open atheists. The more open atheists there are- the more we will be accepted.

I don't volunteer it, but if it comes up I state I am an atheist.

Not in the closet, and l don't boast about it. If it comes up l have no problem discussing the subject.

I'm openly atheist to my friends and colleagues - but all of my friends and many of my colleagues are atheists anyway. It's not really a big deal in the UK.

My daughter went through a religious phase when she first started school, but now that she's a teenager she's an atheist too - despite having chosen to go to a church secondary school!

Open.
I especially enjoy conversations with evangelizing Christians that go door to door. I want them to see that it’s possible to an agnostic atheist and be polite, friendly and a good person who enjoys life.

AnneD Level 5 Apr 21, 2018

I'm open to everyone in my life that matters. I'm open whenever someone questions me about about it. I don't feel the need to broadcast it to work acquaintances or the public in general because it doesn't really define who I am. I find "militant atheism" a bit odd because not believing is something I don't spend a lot of time thinking about.

Open if asked, not bothered who knows, but if any one gives me a hard time I just turn my back and walk away - 'again' -can't be bothered

open but not to people who are goign to proseletyse at me - I know who is and who isnt everyone in N.I ,knows who is and who isnt.Iys easy to keep out of teh way of those who are heavy handed about thir reliious beliefs .

Open. I'm also an openly gay male. Why? I refuse to live in fear about what others might do to me or think of me. I'm 295 pounds of Irish male. I don't do fear.

I try not to bring that subject up due to the area I live. I do tell people that I believe in treating my fellow man with respect and love. I don't need to go to church to do that. I do talk about how religion was created by man with rules for each religion. Amish live near my home and they are very nice people, but if a member of their church doesn't follow their rules they will shun them. That is about as cruel a thing that someone could do to a family member.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 6, 2018

I keep to myself about my lack of belief due to the fact that pretty much all my family and friends are believers and I run the risk of getting alienated if I reveal such. In addition, a few family members have openly stated they wish all atheists would die and a jihad should be done on them, so violent acts are not beneath them.

I suppose since I came out by starting a youtube channel (still exxists, but long abandoned), I've been pretty out about it since I first realized that was where I was.

I'm an closet atheist, because my religious family would freak out. I have enough stress in my life. I plan to come out some day. Maybe before the year ends.

Apparently we are in the End Days (again, yawn) so you may want to get cracking on that. Otherwise The Rapture could be embarrassing.

Open to family, closet at work. I lead a dichotomous existance.

Open. It's pretty safe to be a nontheist where I live: even our Congressperson is!

Open atheist - I suppose why not? - I don't proseletyse My Atheism means very little to me - merely an absence of, and not a fight, so - I think I would tell anybody without worrying unless they wanted to beat me up for it .

OPEN ! I don't tolerate fools well, so I avoid random conversation. The FAM knows where my husband and I both stand, and choose not to open that conversation with us ever again. Good call on their part. WHY? Because I can. I'm ruthless to debate. My friends are intelligent, and we find more important things to discuss.

Open. Because lol.

Open - because when i was a child I wasn't noticed by anyone ,left to my own devices, thought of as 'that strange child' I don't know why but I lied all the time - I never told the truth - at some point someone must have asked me why and as I didnt have a good enough reason I decided to always tell my truth - Its the least important thing about me, for myself, that I am an atheist so I don't mind who knows.

I am open to those that know me. If asked, I will for sure let them know I don't partake in any religious dogma. Its that simple.

I'm open about it. I think that if I am open about it, and there are other people around when I say it then maybe it will encourage someone else to admit it that may have wanted to, but are afraid of the consequences of saying it. Power in numbers and all that!

i flaunt my heathendom whenever the opportunity arises 🙂

I firmly believe in being out and proud about everything, including being an Atheist. Most believers don't hide their beliefs so why I should I hide my lack of belief. Being visible and striving to be a decent person is how people's opinions of Atheists will, hopefully, change.

Open to the people close to me . I have no desire to advertise my non belief for the same reason I do not care to hear about OTHER people’s beliefs

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.