Agnostic.com

15 2

Who else is short and they are constantly reminded daily about their height?

I'm 5 feet tall exactly and I can't reach much. I have had to adapt to things around me. Working with taller people does not help. At my place, I don't have things out of reach. At work I am constantly reminded that I'm short. I have to climb the back shelves for things put on the top shelf. (I hate taking the step ladder back there. It's slightly broken.) I'm one of those monkeys that climb and drop down from way up high. The drive-thru window is too high for me. When I hand people their stuff, I'm on my tip-toes. When 2 people today parked 5 miles away from the window, I basically had to jump halfway out the window to hand them their stuff. My feet were 1 foot off the ground. Being short sucks. Does anyone else have short people problems too? Although, tall people can't reach down low like I can. In a way, we all are reminded of our height.

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Each height has its own problems, lol.

marga Level 7 Mar 3, 2018

Yes.

Ego is a killer. when we get past it our lives are so much easier. instead of lamenting my own issues as a short person I congratulate those who are blessed with excessive "tallness". view your own shortcomings (no pun intended) as an opportunity for personal growth vice an impediment. our sufferings teach us.

I don't mind much, it's just when I can't reach things that bothers me.

it is annoying isnt it? but now you know so many different ways to reach things up high! imagine how stumped the tall person will be when he confronts that dilemma!!

@kauva Today I had to climb out the window again. My manager made some joke, but I missed it. Oh well. Lol.

I am routinely forced to ask for help from store employees to get things from the top shelf. I have felt your pain. Short peeps unite!!

I'm 5'1". My pet peeve is when guys say, "omg, you are so small!", then proceed to pick me up & tote me around a bit. Takes every bit of self control not to lash out.

Men can pick me up easily. I'm 95 lbs.

@Sarahroo29 I'm not that light but my boyfriend continually snatches me up saying I'm not even his warm up weight (he lifts).

@SallyInStitches I lift too.

@Sarahroo29 i'm working on it. Down 38 lbs in 7 months & in the gym 5 days a week & working on building muscle/lifting 3 of those days. Working my way up in weight. Everthing in moderation. Or so they say. No point in sidelining myself due to foolish injury.

@SallyInStitches I only get to the gym on my days off. Sunday this week. I would've been tomorrow too, but I already got asked to come in. My only day off is Sunday, since last Thursday. Then 5 more days of work. We had a crew member have a stroke. I love the weight machines. I need to go badly.

I am 5 ft 1and a half inches the manual work I did was plastering and at least you don't get such a bad back if youre short but it is energetic work up and down ladders or scaffolding and if you're short you always get given the cupboards which is awful and only because NOBODY wants to do cupboards.

Awe. Sorry.

I received a milk crate as a wedding gift.

Now seperated, wedding gift reclaimed, and I can finally reach the top shelves without climbing counters.

I bare no shame of my shortness. Comedic material is comedic material, even if self-sourced.

Lol. A milk crate?

Best step-stool ever made.

It became a recurring joke, really. The lead singer in my band is 6 foot 2. Me? 5 7 on a good day. I'd routinely pull out the milk crate onstage to look him in the eye, or just stand on the milk crate and make faces at the audience.

I have a few short people problems, they get caught between my toes.
I did my stint at the community pantry this morning,
I am 6'2, the other guy is about 5'5, and the guy who runs our furniture shop is under 5 feet tall.
They don't bump their heads as often as I do.
I have a young friend who is 6'6, his partner is 4'10.
I had a visitor 2 weeks back, I walked into the bathroom and she is standing on the bath so she can see in my mirror.
Being tall isn't just about height, try crawling into small spaces to fix a pipe, being long is not much fun either.
I think it all balances out.

so, that's the long and the short of it I guess.

Yeah, being tall would be a problem. I knew someone who was 7 ft tall.

My friend who was also 7 ft tall used to wake all us communards up in the morning to go to work (he elected to cook for us all )he would come in to each of our houses singing opera but he would always tear his coat pocket on the door handle which he then swore at; took a screwdriver out of his poor torn pocket and removed the offending doorknob. None of our doors were allowed closure.

I have read that being short is less stress on your heart and circulatory system. This increases your chances of living longer.

Good, but I'll start shrinking soon.

I'm not short. I'm 5 ft. 8 in.. However my Mum was 5 ft. 1 in. and shorter as she aged.

She used to call me her "Stepladder" - being the tallest of all her four children - and that includes my brother. lol

I would never underestimate a short person.

I had a good friend in HS who was 4 ft 10 in. and a 5 ft. tall friend in College. You get the most ridiculous looks from people that way? And we all had the humor for it. Still do.

Lol. Good times, right?

I'm five feet, 3/4 in. No, my height doesn't bother me, I love it, I'm compact and very comfortable in my skin. My mother who is five feet had huge insecurities about her height and did everything to remind me how shitty it is to be short... But. I disagree. I climb shelves in grocery stores like a spider monkey, I look younger, I can also act younger because" little dogs are always puppies". I have strategically placed step stools at home, and a three stair step ladder at work. When I need to reach down a negative 80 freezer at work, I can't reach the bottom of it, but hey... More joking. Not taking myself too seriously and finding positives in my height is the best damn thing. Also two more advantages: sex standing up and heels of ANY height I please. I'm vertically challenged, but so what. I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world

I would not want to be tall.

Many short people wear elevator shoes, which might help you reach things.
I'm 5' 3" and am considered short in the US, but normal in other countries where I've lived. In Thailand I've had to buy men's large T-shirts.

I'm only 100 lbs, but most Thai women under 40 have the figures of 10-yr-old boys.

Wow. I'm 95lbs rn.

I am 6'5" I don't know what you are talking about, but in reading your post I find myself concerned by the fact you have to use a broken step ladder at work, are there not strict Occupational Health and Safety regulations regarding providing employees with defective ladders where you live.

I have a friend who is 6 ft 3 in.. Having had a short Mum I've learned to climb on a step when we hug. Then I don't face plant in his sternum. (I'm 5 ft. 8 in.).

And yes defective ladders? Gees. I saw my Mum fall off a kitchen chair just once - we never let her climb on one again.

@RavenCT I have no problem bending down to give hugs. It is one thing to use defective equipment in your own home although I don't recommend it. It is a completely different to expect workers to use one or to have to climb shelves. I spent about 300 hours a consultant for the government here rewriting OHS rules for agricultural operation; when we came to the section governing ladders and climbing devises there was a 100% agreement that all such devise need to be in good repair and regularly inspected as falls are the the most common work place injury.

She mentioned a drive thru in her post. In my experience restaurants,especially fast food, are rife with OSHA violations. Most fast food workers don't know the laws and are too afraid of being fired to report those things anyway.

@Blindbird I am too short for the window when they park so far from the window.

@HeathenFarmer I use a chair to stand on to put ice in the top of a machine for soda. The Freestyle machine.

@RavenCT I just use a chair in the dining room or I climb the shelves.

I’m 5’ 4” - always the shortest guy around so it seems. Like @Crimson67 I have the stool in my kitchen to help reach things. I do find some occasional dandy bargains on clothes and shoes in my size because very few men are as short as I am.

Ohub Level 7 Feb 27, 2018

I sometimes have to hem the bottoms of my pants. Not anymore. I buy women's pants now.

My ex is 5 foot and I am 6 foot, it was a constant battle where to put things. lol

Lol.

My grandmother was five feet, my grandfather was six feet nine inches!

@Jnei When my grandfather died the first thing my grandmother did was get the mirror put down to her height so she could see in it for the first time.

I buy the liquid for my e-cig from the village shop, where a very short woman (she must be a little under five feet) works.

The e-cig liquid I like is always on the top shelf and, for some reason, she's always on the tobacco counter when I go in to buy it, and there's never anyone taller around to help her so she has to climb up the shelf. I'm sure she must think I wait outside until I see her take her turn on the tobacco counter just so I can laugh at her.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 27, 2018

Lol. That was funny.

Short women...

Jnei Level 8 Feb 27, 2018

Yep.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30140
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.