Agnostic.com

12 8

Do you enjoy jigsaw puzzles?

Since I don't go to bars or watch TV, people wonder what I do with my free time. Reading, cooking, exercise, volunteering, sewing, playing flute, jigsaw puzzles.

Growing up in Michigan, we always had a jigsaw puzzle set up on a card table. We four kids wanted the thrill of putting in the last piece.

The last piece was always missing. We started shaking each other down. Accusations flew from the oldest to the youngest.

"I know you have it! Empty your pockets, you little sneak!"

Strolling by, Dad reached into his pocket and dropped in the last piece. He walked away laughing.

I love jigsaw puzzles. So does my daughter. Started her young with age-appropriate puzzles.

What are the Brain Benefits of Jigsaw Puzzles?

1. Enhances visual perception
  2. Hones coordination
  3. Improves memory
  4. Develops critical thinking
  5. Increases dopamine production in the brain
  6. Heightens creativity
  7. Stimulates the whole brain.

This puzzle was fun because of the riot of colors and patterns.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like to train my brain. After school, I stopped solving mathematical equations. And I think my brain has become more relaxed. It's not good. So puzzles help with that.

I do jigsaws, too Have a stack here that have been done. A lot of cat ones. Now what do I do with them? Surprisingly, nursing homes here don’t want them.

@kltuckmn

The senior center sells used jigsaw puzzles in the gift shop.

For real "Fun" mix one or two puzzles pieces together,but you'll probably be banned from that group though......

@Mike1947

I don't understand your reply. What do you mean by "mix one or two puzzle pieces together"?

Scratches head

@LiterateHiker Add a piece from a different puzzle to another,one or two in shape and color,guaranteed to frustrate the best puzzle maker.

@Mike1947

I would never do that.

Did a 3D jigsaw puzzle similar to this one. I do enjoy them. As a third grade teacher I always had one in the works in the class. They only problem was with 20 8 year olds there was always a missing a piece, or two, or three, or four.........................

@Sierra4

Wow! I have never seen a 3-D puzzle. Looks very difficult. Amazing.

Good for you!

@LiterateHiker You need to try a 3D puzzle. Just happened to see this one of the Moon in a science museum.

Ah, thank you so much for this. I leaned to love jigsaw puzzles ? from my mom. Until my sister and I started school she stayed home. She usually had the bridge table open with a 1,000-piece puzzle going. It was a community puzzle. We learned a methodology (find the border pieces, group pieces of similar color or that matched the photo on the box, etc.) and shared the excitement if completing sections and, eventually, the whole puzzle. Then we would carefully disassemble and box it, as if it were a treasure to be saved and enjoyed another day.

Last fall my mother got dementia. She lost the ability to concentrate on even the simplest of tasks. She no longer was able to Facebook or play solitaire or change the TV channels. I went to the store and bought some large-piece jigsaw puzzles, opened the bridge table, and started working one. My mother’s aide wheeled her over in her wheelchair, where my mother sat and watched. I could feel the synapses in her brain connect as she feebly reached for piece after piece to work the puzzle.

@Bobbyzen

Love your reply. Thank you. So sorry your mother has dementia. That's hard. Good for you for giving her activities she enjoys!

When my mother had dementia, I put jazz recordings of my dad playing with his band on an IPod. You should have seen her smiles! Pushed Mom's wheelchair over grass to a gazebo, so she could watch the sunset by a lake. She loved it.

You're right about the methodology. After first doing the border, I searched and grouped every piece with green. Separated quilt pieces from the rest.

Towards the end, I pieced together quilts, lifting them into place with a metal spatula. Click.

@LiterateHiker You did well by your mom. My mom’s dementia came on quickly, beginning in September. She rapidly deteriorated both mentally and physically. The jigsaws were the last activity she did on her own before passing in January.

I love the quilt jigsaw. These days I occasionally Buy a new puzzle, open up a bridge table in the living room, and lay out the pieces. My extended family wanders by, seemingly disengaged. But they all end up at the table to work it. It’s a legacy my mom left that I pass on.

@Bobbyzen

Thank you. Sorry for your loss. My mother had a series of mini-strokes that caused dementia. She died in 2008. I miss her.

Here's the Quilt Store puzzle, 500 pieces. It's a Buffalo puzzle with "click together technology." Only $10.

[market.thedailymeal.com]{devicemodel}&dt&sn&adid={creative}&k=&p={placement}&pc={target}&ap={adposition}

@LiterateHiker same with my mom: mini strokes over a period of time. However, it was after she had anesthetic for an exploratory procedure that her dementia became serious.

Thank you for the link. I’ll check it out.

I'd rather be baptized than do a jigsaw puzzle. My mother was a wizard at jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzles, scrabble, etc. One year I got her good. I found a jigsaw puzzle that was all marbles, all the same marble, size and everything. It was a beast, but she finally finished it.

Your dad sounds awesome, lol

It's hard to walk away. Standing up, I see a piece I need from a different angle.

I always pick up a jigsaw on holiday, for those rainy days. I like it to be as challenging as possible, circular ones, I would look at the picture only once before I start and I am very possessive with it - only for me to do "Don't Touch!"

Sewing for me. I used to get jigsaws out on busy acute mental health wards. Instant therapy

Interesting puzzle, the way quilts are put together resemble a puzzle.

@19dacar52

I found piecing together quilts on the side went faster. Using a metal spatula, I dropped the quilt into place. Click.

Ravensburger makes the best quality puzzles. "Click-together technology." No raggedy pieces.

No coz many other things take up my time. If you like them it's great. I'm also not a fan of sewing and I don't have many outfits and shoes either.

Just sayin.'

@DenoPenno

What do you mean by "Just sayin'"?

@LiterateHiker I made a remark without having a reason to make the remark. By posting I was the first one and got double points. πŸ™‚

@DenoPenno

Urban dictionary definition of "Just sayin" -

"A phrase tacked on to the end of any bigoted, biased, hurtful, wrong or simply stupid remark. The speaker tacks on the phrase with the intent absolving themselves of any guilt or argument over the statement."

@LiterateHiker You got it! I wasn't wanting to argue with anything that you said.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:301768
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.