Agnostic.com

37 3

How much should teachers make?

I recently overhead a conversation about how school teachers don't make enough money. I've heard countless conversations making a similar claim. What I've never heard is someone stating just how much a teacher should make. I'm curious, what salary do you think is enough?

ScubaWags 7 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have no clue. I’ll go with, whatever the market will bear.

Though, seeing as you asked for a specific number, how about $40k to $100k. There are too many variables and ‘teacher’ is too vague to give an exact number.

Lots more than they are getting. You and teachers are responsible for this child's welfare.

But how much? You aren’t saying anything more than the countless conversations that the OP heard over the years.

I think your question is a great one. This is a very difficult thing to answer.
I'd re-phrase your question as:
How much does my community need to spend on our public education system to produce well educated graduates of our high schools?

The average teacher makes around $55,000. This is one of those questions that doesn't have a single answer. What you are paid as a teacher is dependent your location and what that district is able to pay. I had lived in Chicago, and I can tell you one of the factors that has been driving people out is property tax. The schools are funded by property tax, and by extension the salary of the teachers. Everytime the teachers go on strike and the CPS caves in. You can guarantee that the property tax will go up. This is one of the many reasons why Chicago is broke and why more people leave than come in.

KenWG Level 3 Mar 3, 2019

I think schools should be entirely federally funded with variations only to account for variations in certain local expenses. I can’t see any other way to counter the massive funding and quality imbalance between schools throughout the country.

They should be paid enough to attract highly skilled workers to that job

Similar to other professionals with that same amount of education.

MsAl Level 8 Mar 6, 2019

Teachers should make as much as they can. How much should a brick layer make?

In UK its considered terribly bad form to discuss salary.

In the U.S., the pay of public employees is public record.

That is true in the United States as well, if you are talking one individual to another. Having a general discussion about salary for a group is not though.

@OHJim It is here too.

The question isn't how much should they make but how much do their parents think their children are worth? Instead of taxing property owners, schools should send parents bills for each child and charge them. After all, they get far more tax breaks than childfree people....so, they can certainly afford to pay for the schooling too..

and let the butthurt begin....

For sure.

There are to many variables involved ,what part of the country ,private or public school etc.Where I live in Queens NY the average salary for a civil service New York City high school teacher is $122.131 an hour not including a very adequate pension ,sick leave and benefits.

As much as lawyers

Orbit Level 7 Mar 3, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:302636
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.