Agnostic.com

9 2

The country I come from is called the Midwest. If you have lived in several areas, do you feel like you have many "homes", or lack one real home?

CallMeDave 8 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was born in Hawaii and have lived several different places. Virginia is my country! No better place around!

Dang! I’ll try to pass that wisdom on to a daughter who loves Hawaii, having just visited it. I’m in VA, and loving it 🙂

In my case, I lack a real home. For personal reasons, I had to move from FL to Puerto Rico, and believe me, I hate this island. If it is true what Dorothy said, and home is where the heart is, then my real home is in Clermont, FL, and I miss it like hell.
So please, pray for me, so that I may soon go back to my home.
WAIT A TICK!! Did I just wrote "pray for me"? Holy cow! This horrible place is driving me nuts!

Anthropologists say it’s possible to trace the origin of a person through the mineral makeup of their bones & teeth. If so, I’d trace back to the Pacific NW of the USA, and not the Appalachian Blue Ridge I now call home..

Still somewhat new over here, I’ll occasionally catch myself describing ..home. And when facebook friends post photos, damn ..I’m there. But your question is one I’ve wondered about, too, as many around me have migrated from elsewhere. Lot’s of former homes out there ~

Varn Level 8 Mar 3, 2019

Was raised in ND, spent most of my childhood summers working on a farm a few miles North of Kansas. Did College in Minot, with additional courses in Grand Forks and Kansas, Basic Training in Missouri, AIT in Colorado (love the mountains), been to many states other and a few other countries, spend a decade in Devils Lake and now, I live in the house I purchased from my best childhood friend when his parents died. It is odd, living, completely debt fee in the house I once almost daily visited when I was young. I never expected (and was told by his parents) not to anticipate living in such a nice house when I grew up. 5 bedrooms, 2 stone fire places, 3 bathrooms, double car garage, custom built in's, and 54 windows I was able to convert the downstairs 24' x 32' recreation room into a very nice movie theater but aside from insulating and rocking the garage and building and adding a few stained glass windows, I have left house very much like it was it was built in 1962. Took a few years but it now feels like home.

Southern California, Kona Hawaii and Southern Oregon. Don't think I could be happy in a city or right wing religious area. Spend a lot of time in Asia but it's always good to be home.

I've lived in two states, but more cities for varying degrees of time.

Florida was where I lived for a while, but Kentucky is my country.

Home is above Nashville somewhere, but we cultivate a Kentucky vs. everybody sort of pride in the raising. It's something in the air I think.

Of course, there's a lot of negative things about this place, so a lot of people move away. So we just go to places with more opportunities and tell everyone how much better we do it back home even if we don't.

Pay attention during your next travel, anywhere. I guarantee you'll spot someone either in a University of Kentucky shirt, or a UK decal on their vehicle. They did not go to that university, it's just an easily recognizable state symbol.

and i figured they were ukulele enthusiast .

I had a moment this morning of thinking about traits my kid exhibits, and I could hear a voice in my head saying, "that's Midwestern" ( dogged stick-with-itness).
My roots are there, going back many generations, but he has only visited once--he was born and raised in rural Virginia.

Grew up on a lake in Michigan sailing, swimming and ice skating. After graduating from University of Michigan, at age 21 I moved to Washington State to climb mountains and stayed.

In early May 2011, I flew to Traverse City, Michigan to visit my best friend from Michigan, Jami, and her husband. Miles of deciduous forests had tender, pale green leaves emerging, translucent and shimmering in sunlight. Gorgeous!

We had fun at Lake Michigan dunes and beaches. I felt deeply at home.

Living in the Evergreen State, I miss Michigan's Great Lakes, dunes, cardinals, fireflies and living on a lake.

But I'm always scanning the horizon for my beloved mountains.

On a deep level, I have two homes: Michigan and Washington State.

Good question.i have lived in three states. Md va and NC each is entirely different

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:302763
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.